cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Gateway or PO REST adapters for mobile application

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gateway Pros,

We have a mobile application that field technicians logon to tablets and perform various transactions ( for eg  enter time, create/post  parts order ) .

Currently we have a setup (  Non SAP mobile platform UI  <=> non SAP middleware with DB  <=>  legacy application ERP  ) which we be rolling out SAP to replace Legacy ERP.   existing  Mobile platform and  non sap middleware are designed to work together  for eg to process order when tablet goes offline.

We have  SAP PO  with REST adapter and SAP Netweaver gateway  in landscape ,  now the questions is  deciding which one would best suit  the scenario.

I have read various blogs  on SCN which has given me a good idea about the PO capabilities vs  Netweaver  but  I have few more questions

1) Can SAP Netweaver  good tool to use if we have to communicate large set of data any limitations ?

for eg  if the mobile application requests for all Parts in inventory and there customer pricing

2) PO comes with great monitoring tools does SAP Netweaver   has those capabilities

3) can SAP Netweaver handle offline scenarios  any link that explains offline scenarios will be great help ?

4) what are  the advantages  or disadvantages of using  SAP Netweaver over SAP PO  ( specific to my scenario )

Thanks for your time.

Raj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

arshad_ansary2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

PI and Gateway are for entirely different purpose and both cannot replace each other .

Gateway is meant for enabling SAP data f in OData format for UI applications and it Is for Ocassional Productive users. It can only support SAP backend data .

Meanwhile PI is considered as Middleware for Integration . This is primarly used in A2A and B2B scenarios where you need to talk to multiple systems in landscape both SAP and non SAP

You may want to refer this document for details

Coming back to your questions

1 SAP Gateway is the right tool for Mobile applications . But mobile applications as such should be light weight and not heavy

2 Yes NW Gateway has very good monitoring tools in the from GW Error log ,Odata recorder.etc

http://scn.sap.com/community/gateway/blog/2013/07/12/logging-calls-to-your-gateway-service-sicf-for-...

3 Yes Gateway can handle offline scenarios with help of some additional plugins like Kapsel ..

BR

Arshad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the helpful details.

its a mobile application so SAP gateway is the right tool but I with the middleware  in between

SAP and  mobile application I need to further research .

Answers (0)