Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubt about embedded SQLAnywhere as repository

former_member198540
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I have a doubt about using the embedded database (SQLAnywhere) as a work repository for SAP Data Services 4.2 SP6 + SAP Information Steward in Windows Server. Nowdays exists any issue or limitation about using as local repository ?, i mean, we planning use it for large amount of data or proccess (rules, profilings, etc..), and also maybe use it as data quality dictionary.

Any suggest or advice about the recomended database to use for this SAP products,

thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member18162
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Carlos,

The embedded SQL Anywhere would be fine for a DEV or QA; however Adrian is correct. If you're concerned about performance it isn't the way to go, especially in a Production environment.

The embedded SQL Anywhere would be fine for a DEV or QA.

You might find this link useful:

DocCommentXchange

When you get there, click on the version of Sybase SQL Anywhere you're concerned about, then choose the "Search" tab and type "size and number limitations". In the results you should see "SQL Anywhere size and number limitations".

Cheers!
Julie
SAP Product Support - EIM

former_member198540
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks so much Julie for you answer, i'm more clarify about this.

Regards,

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

adrian_storen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Carlos,

I can speak for IS but not DS.

If you ask SAP, I am sure they will say HANA.  I think SQL or Oracle would be fine, and the installation guide should outline the supported platforms you could choose.  What you decide would depend on your organisations' database standard and budget.

We use Oracle 11g and performance has been fine to date, although we are planning to move to Exadata which would also improve performance.

I can see that when you start to use some IS capability that performance may degrade.  In particular for Metadata Management if you store the metadata for every source, reporting, integration, etc database and application (ie true metadata repository) then you're going to start storing a lot of data and want sustained performance.  The other side is the failed rules repository.  Now SAP have added a utility in IS 4.2 SP7 to clean up this when required but if you wanted to retain this data for more failed records for longer periods then you will need more storage, which may degrade performance (depending on what you're doing with the failed records).

regards

Adrian

former_member198540
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok I understand the point, and i'm interesting in performance indeed. so you suggest for the future will be better use ie. SQL or Oracle instead of Embedded SQLAnywhere for IS repository ?

I guest its a good suggest for us, but you know what its the performance of SQLAnywhere with these IS proccess?

Thanks a lot,

adrian_storen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I've never used Embedded SQLAnywhere so not able to offer an opinion either way.