cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webdynpro vs URL - iViews

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

What is the difference between WebDynpro iView and URL iView pointing to a WebDynpro application? any advantages? disadvantages?

Aviad

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

venkatakalyan_karanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aviad

When ever you launch a application developed in webdynpro in a webdynpro iView that application is running fine.But a url iview is to display some web content.If you launch a webdynpro application in a url iview it will not show the first page pointing to that url..You can not run the entire application because there is no dependency to a url iView with WAS.There is no connection.Thats why the portal frame work given a specific iView template that is webdynpro iView that indicate thaat the application is in webdynpro and works fine.URL iView doesnot know it is a webdynpro application

regards

kalyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aviad,

did you got an answer on this issue? I´m checking if Using the URL iView the DSM Terminator can reach the Webdynpro App called by this URL iView or if it is necesary to have a webdynpro iView to achieve this, so the session and connections are released.

kind Regards,

Gerardo J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you create a URL iview for a webdynpro application then it will try to authenticate you again and you cannot implement Single sign on with URL Iview.

But with webdynpro Iview SSO can be established.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Gerardo J - I didn't get any meaningful answer.

mnkv1988 - You can most definitely use SSO in an URL iView.

Aviad

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aviad,

IMHO, for general WD apps, there'd be not much differences in using a URL iView vs. a WD iView. However, a WD iView is supposed to provide a better integration between your WD app and the SAP portal environment; plus, you'd have better control of your apps through the application parameters, etc.

Please refer to this doc

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/b07501ec-39a7-2910-0699-f71070d2b245

where Jochen mentioned one of the main differences between the NW04 WD iViews and the new NW04s WD iViews ("Using NW04s Webdynpro iViews", p.8). If I understand correctly, this would also be one of the main differences between the URL iViews and the NW04s WD iViews when it comes to running WD apps in a portal environment.

What do you think?

Regards,

Dao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are some benefits using the dedicated WD iView instead of the URL iViews.

But those benefits are well hidden.....

Aviad

P.S.

I always prefer (and use) the WD iView whenever and where-ever I can.

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aviad,

I agree. The differences/benefits in these cases are not always clearly documented.

We also use WD iViews for all WD applications, AppInt iViews for others (internal apps) and try to limit the use of URL iViews to external web sites. As mentioned earlier, with the WD iViews, we can pass more dynamic parameters (e.g. <IView.ID>) as opposed to the limited URL parameters of the URL iViews.

Regards,

Dao

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

the vantage of using the WD iView and not the URL iView is: the WD iView is meant to be used when integrating WD applications.

As for the configuration, this means: Instead of manually adding some URL parameters in the URL iView these parameters are automatically configured by the WD iView, like

- stylesheet

- portal version

- system object (server, client)

- WD type

- namespace

- application name

As for the support, the WD iView is the recommended approach when integrating WD applications, so the SAP support is expecting a WD iView. Can also mean that the WD iView is more "tested" for WD applications than the URL iView.

br,

Tobias

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, Tobias, for further clarifications.

Best regards,

Dao

P.S. I've always enjoyed your SCN blogs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

Thanx alot for the help! do you know what about the DSM Terminatio and Webdynpro using a URL iView? or with URL iView the DSM Terminator also triggers the session and connection closing in the Webdynpro.

Thanx in advanced!

Gerardo J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

webdynpro iview are specially for webdynpro applications.and URL iviews retrives data from web based applications

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If the webdynpro application is integrated with the same Enterprise portal then the URL iview pointing to webdynpro application will work.

regards

ambica

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I know it will work.

But what is the difference? if any...

Aviad

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

URL iViews retrieve Web-based content from a wide range of current and legacy sources; for example your organization’s intranet, internet Web sites, and internal Web-based applications.

The webdynpro applications are integrated on to the enterprise portal as WebDynpro iviews and then assigned to Pages worksets roles which offers Role based access to the users

Check the following links for clear idea

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/fb/d0673f19299d51e10000000a114084/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/f5/eb51730e6a11d7b84900047582c9f7/content.htm

regards

ambica

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I understand the general difference between to two methods.

But my question is more specific - If the URL iView has a URL which is a WebDynpro application link, what is the difference?

Is it the same?

Aviad