cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI Platform Support Tool Enhancement Request: Patch History details for WAS node

kim_matthews2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Toby, Recently we had an intermittent issue with Lumira and root cause was a missed Lumira patch on one of the WEB servers. Can the Landscape report collect and display Binary/Install versions for the secondary installs Explorer, Design Studio, Lumira?

Thank you Kim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hey Kim, the Patch History report will display Explorer, Design Studio, Lumira add-on versions if you did the install using the BI installer and there is a SIA for this node.  If there is no BI install and you just deployed the web app to this server then it is not possible to get the binary version.

Is this server a WAS server only (no BI components other than webapp) or did you do the Explorer, Design Studio, add-on install on this server?

Thanks

Toby

kim_matthews2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you Toby,  and yes it was the WAS server with BI WebApp base (no SIA), and Explorer, DesignStudio, Lumira. 

Thank you for the response.

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kim,

On this server, do you find the following file?

<INSTALL_ROOT>:\SAP BusinessObjects\InstallData\InstallManifest.sqlite

Thanks

Toby

kim_matthews2
Explorer
0 Kudos

I sure do - right there with the inventory.txt file.  

Kim

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hey Kim,

The Patch History currently only checks the hosts defined as BI host (which is auto populated based on SIA nodes in the landscape).  You could manually create a "BI server" in the landscape configuration then manually fill in the Install Directory and Logging Directory parameters and configure the host agent

Then the landscape report should return this server in the Patch History

I'll look at improving this scenario and also adding some alert around having matching BI product add-on versions on each node.  I think this is a very valid scenario to be checking for.

As always, thanks for the feedback

Regards

Toby

kim_matthews2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Great I love this suggested solution I'm trying to get this configured now.  Added the Tomcat server configured the HostDetail paths the HostAgentSettings AND validated. Confirmed all nodes have services running.

The Patch History report fails on the Tomcat server with this: 'while trying to read the field 'host' of a null object loaded from local variable 'host'.

| ||||||||||||||||||||||Error creating Patch History Analysis report.  Make sure the

Host Agent is running and configured for each BI host.

java.lang.NullPointerException: while trying to read the field 'host' of a null object loaded from local variable 'host'

at com.sap.ps.bitool.utils.HTMLBuilder.genTabs(HTMLBuilder.java:589)

at com.sap.ps.bitool.reports.patchhistory.PatchHistoryReport.buildHTML(PatchHistoryReport.java:43)

at com.sap.ps.bitool.ui.views.results.AnalysisResultsView.lambda$new$68(AnalysisResultsView.java:436)

at com.sap.ps.bitool.ui.views.results.AnalysisResultsView$$Lambda$21/683211146.run(Unknown Source)

at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(Unknown Source)

at com.sap.ps.bitool.ui.views.results.AnalysisResultsView.<init>(AnalysisResultsView.java:450)

at com.sap.ps.bitool.ui.views.ResultsNavigatorItem.createNewReport(ResultsNavigatorItem.java:156)

at com.sap.ps.bitool.data.ExtractionManager$2.run(ExtractionManager.java:240)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(Unknown Source)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Unknown Source)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Unknown Source)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)

at com.sap.ps.bitool.Application.main(Application.java:131)

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kim,

Could you email me the sapstartsrv.log from the host agent on the Tomcat server?  (C:\Program Files\SAP\hostctrl\work) and the BIPST tracelog?

Did you configure correctly the Install Directory for this new BI server definition in Landscape Configuration? 

Thanks

Toby

kim_matthews2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Toby. Yes the install directory is correct. I dropped and recreated this landscape in case the preferences.xml was corrupt but I get the same error.  When the 'TC server' is removed from the landscape the PatchHistory successfully completes.

Logs sent.

Kim

Answers (0)