Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post configuration HOMO copy

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Let me setup the scenario.

We received new physical hardware to replace our existing production server. ECC6, EHP6

OS is Windows 2008 r2 and DB is SQL 2012.

The plan is to backup the old server (files & DB), shut it down, bring online the new server with the same hostname and IP address as the old one.

Install SQL to the same version.

Use SWPM and install SAP using the homo/detach method.

Restore Kernel from old server

Once done, I should have the exact Hostname/IP, SID as the old box.

Now here's where I question some configs,

I know ill require a new License since the hardware key will change.

STMS? My dev box is the controller, I'm thinking all the existing config should work. I see no reason, accounts,rfcs, config is all still the same.

Solution Manager Managed systems? Not sure what to think, will it trick solman and work? or will I need to recreate connections?

Printers? Technically its the same print server name? should work fine, regardless not to worried since its a quick fix to change it.

and finally, PSE and certs?

This is where I wonder because I have SSL integration between other systems and PI.

Will I need to recreate the PSE? All the trusts? Or will it think its still the same box?

Anyone have experience with a similar project where they kept the same hostname/IP/SID?

When you generate the PSE and SSL's, what algorithm does it use to generate?? Does it use the license? is it during install? Just trying to figure out if I will need to replace it all.

Let me know your thoughts, feelings or experiences,.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

As long as the hostname, IP address, SID and the system number remains the same everything should work like it was before the move. You should also consider putting the old profiles back after the move and before starting the system. I would also move the contents under the \\sapmnt\SID and <Drive>:\usr\sap\SID\DVEBMGS00 directories to the new server. For STMS you just need to have the transport directory shared and once the system is up just adjust the TMS with the controller.

Regarding the PSE, I believe there isn't a need to recreate them as technically it should work but I cannot confirm that.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Guys,

My gut feeling is the same, I should be fine.

I have tested in another box twice but without changing the hostname.

Im doing lots of checks and tests, I wasn't very detailed in my post but just to give you an idea, heres my checklist

-Copying Kernels, Spool files, AUD files, Global dir

- Rebuilding profiles from scratch, (  I have many bad entries so cleaning as I go)

- apply SQL scripts, apply new license,

- Test STMS

-Test Solman/CHarm

-Check sm21,db02,sm51,sp12

-Printers

-Secstore

-test sending email scot

-SLD checks

-strust/pse/ssl certs

and so on...

Ill post my results when done for others, see what actually worked and what needed tuning or tweaks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the best thing you can do, is to test all that stuff.
Hide the new server from your network, install there everything you want, and you can test many things there, moreover the procedure of homogeneous system copy can bring you many additional surprizes as well   So you will be prepared to them to.
Do you use some cluster there, or maybe some virtual name in your configs?
We did many times such kind of activities, even after good testing, some sort of crazy problems are
always araising...
About certs, them should work well, you can open strustsso during your tests, and check all your certs are still valid.

BR, Sergo.