cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerBuilder Reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been using Datawindow to create reports, it works fine..

Response time also good in client/server application.. I love it.. Best tool base on my experience..

That was my last job place.

My new job place is using ERP application, reporting tool is not that great..

I am thinking about suggestion Datawindow for reports, my concern is application distribution and flexibility.. 

Application need to be lighter, with good useful options ( like  column header sorting , filter at column header , drilldown reports and etc )..

It need to be simple and easy to access from anywhere..

Please share your thoughts/ideas.. if you thought that powerbuilder datawindow is wrong choice for reports, give me your suggestion..

I am expecting good suggestions from Powerbuilder Developers..

Regards,

Jahir.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jahir;

1) IMHO: The DW is the best reporting tool by far in the PB arsenal of features.

2) I would suggest storing your DW objects in a Database BLOB column. That keeps your application lighter, you can dynamically grab DW's as you need them, you don't have to redeploy your application if you change a DW object, just replace it in the Table Blob.

Food for thought. 

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mr. Chris,

Great tips.. I didn't think about BLOB Column option..

I thought about creating Datawindow on the fly using Stored Procedures, it may be lot of work..

Your idea is great.. Thank you and I really appreciate it..

Regards,

Jahir.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are most welcome & good luck with your reporting quest!

BTW: The DW objects stored in the Table BLOB column can also be already mapped to SP's.  

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mr. Chris ,

You always give good suggestions.. I also expected other Powerbuilder Developers to give some suggestion.. I guess that my question is not clear..

I will mark this topic as answered..  Thank you for your valuable tips..

Regards

Jahir.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jahir;

Thank you and ... always glad to throw in my $0.02 FWIW.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Answers (0)