SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of company codes for informational unbundling

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello and good afternoon,

at present I am a sub-project leader for our project to prepare for the full electricity (and gas) market within Switzerland and with this, implement the informational unbundling with a 2-contract-model, using two company codes.

By now, in discussions, meetings, concepts, I have mentioned, that, when implementing an informational unbundling, there has to be another company code to fulfill the requirement of separating the grid from the supply information.

With this new company code, all authorizations can be handled properly. This has to be  implemented in SAP, as well as in the other connected systems, where users from both businesses can access the information.

For me personally, I never raised the question "Why have at least one or more new company codes ?"

Because of my experience in the german market, the recommendation from SAP and all the implementations I have heard of, this / was the corresponding solution.

And, of course, normal / logoical human thinking, when splitting the information in grid and supply, there has to be at least one more.

So the definition was set and the way, how we use the existing company code in future, we decided to have discussed with the implementation partner we will choose for the project. Because we assume and expect, that they do have the experience to show, for a company of our size, a proper solution we can live with for the future and do not complex our system in the meaning, that we build something, we have to do undone when doing the next step.

Si in the recent past in most (all) discussions we had, the following questions where raised (both for the 2-contract model):

a) why having one (or two) new company codes inmplemented ? Is this necessary and why not having more ?

b) why isn't it possible, to solve the requirement of the informational unbundling by using just the existing company code ?

In discussion, when I was asked these questions I replyed:

a) we jsust have to company codes because we have to split the grid information from the supply information and the company code is the proper object to handle the authorization issues in a very comfortable way.

b) the solution, having just one company code makes it very complicated to have all the information separated into grid and supply.

So my question is:

is there another (good / better) reason, why in the past the decision has been made, to solve the informational unbundling by having two company codes and not with less ?

I was searching all the internet to find a suitable solution for that answer but I did not find any.

It would be very helpful if someone of you has a different answer for me regarding this question.

Thank you very much in advance for your help and effort.

Kind regards,

Manuel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

william_eastman
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Manuel:

At the very least, unbundling uses multiple company codes because the financial postings belong to different financial reporting entities.  This generally requires company code segregation in order to enable segregated financial reporting.  If the charges do not belong to distinct financial entities, then maybe you could consider a single company code.

regards,

bill.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

william_eastman
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Manuel:

At the very least, unbundling uses multiple company codes because the financial postings belong to different financial reporting entities.  This generally requires company code segregation in order to enable segregated financial reporting.  If the charges do not belong to distinct financial entities, then maybe you could consider a single company code.

regards,

bill.