cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with PB 12.0

toh993h
Discoverer
0 Kudos

I have an old app written under PB9, and I want to update it. This is not really a revenue-earning project, so there isn't much cash available so, when I saw a new, sealed copy of PB12 on eBay, I bid on it, and won it.

So now it comes to installing it.  I'm being asked for a licence key file, but of course that is not on the DVD or any of the documentation; the only thing that looks even vaguely like a serial number is a sticker on the disk envelope.  So the question is, how do I contact someone who can register the software and generate and send me a licence key?

Novalys doesn't have access to the records for PB12, and they referred me to SAP.  This is my starting point, and Bruce Armstrong kindly suggested I post here in the PB Developer Center; does anyone know how to proceed?  I'd be grateful for any or all input.

Thanks,

Nigel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am in a similar situation as Nigel.

We already have licenses for PowerBuilder 12.6 but we need to acquire another one for a new server.

Can anyone suggest how I should try to do that?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nigel;

FYI:  If this is for personal use, you can register as an ISUG-Tech Gold member. Part of the membership benefits is an NFR copy of PB. This allows you to download PB 12.6 and ISUG will generate a license file for your v12.6 installation.

Interestingly enough, the v12.6 license will also activate v12.0 as well (or even v12.5 for that matter). Now you can use both versions. However, remember that the NFR copy is for personal use and not for building corporate or commercial applications from your IDE.

As far as getting the license key from the original owner, that would seem impossible as they would have had to install PB to get the license. Even if they had, the license is tied to the registered owner's PC by either their MAC address or HD serial number. So if the seller even had the .LIC file to give you - it be of no use.

I hope that you can get your money back. If not, hang in there for the Appeon PB 2017 version & its much more reasonable pricing (vs SAP's $2,995 usd currently).

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris,

I signed up for ISUG only 5-6 months ago and my 12.6 NFR expires tomorrow. Isn't it supposed to last a year?

Do I just have to login to ISUG and generate a new license file?

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roland;

I am not sure what happened, but ISUG already has the new .LIC files to extend any members NFC copy of PB. For some reason, they seem to not want to inform the Gold membership in general. I wish that they were more proactive in this area.

I had the same issue a few weeks ago myself and tried to contact support to get the new license. After no replies, I eventually sent an email directly to Eric (VP Membership) and he responded with the license right away!

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ronald,

I'll check who got the keys and come back to you.

KR Ludwin

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I posted instructions on how to renew the licence in a blog article here in the PowerBuilder Developer Center last year.  Somebody complained about the post though and the moderator removed it.

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
For some reason, they seem to not want to inform the Gold membership in general. I wish that they were more proactive in this area.

"Let us not attribute to malice and cruelty what may be referred to less criminal motives."

ISUG is in the process of transitioning service providers for the website.  One of those transitions involved moving mail handling to a different server.  There were some issues with the initial transfer and we had some issues with the group email address (e.g. membership).  That's been resolved now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Joe or Eric supplies PB licenses after they verify a person's membership status.

Hi Ronald,

sorry for the delay. We had an extra holiday .

The licenses normally expire according to your membership status.

If your PB license is not in-sync with the person's membership calendar year please request  to support@isug.com

former_member185283
Participant
0 Kudos

Nigel,

Per the EULA (End User License Agreement), the software is not transferrable from one person or company to another, and the license is immediately void if the original purchaser does this.  The other issue is that PowerBuilder 12.0 was EOL (end-of-life) many years ago. 

I think your best best would be to contact the seller on Ebay and get him to help you or request a refund.  If the seller doesn't comply, you can make a claim to Ebay per their money-back guarantee and possibly through PayPal as well if you paid that way.  But you should hurry as there is a time limit to make your claim.

Regards,

Armeen Mazda

CEO, Appeon

toh993h
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Armeen:

Thanks for your response, although I'm not sure how accurate or helpful it is.  PB12.0 is still shown as a Sybase product; I don't know exactly what the situation has been with Appeon, but there is no EULA included in the package, and all the material refers to Sybase.  As I mentioned, the package was sealed, and the software hadn't been registered, so the concept of "an original purchaser" may be awkward.  There have also been a number of eBay sales of PB, although it's usually versions 5 or 6, and that was why seeing a v12.0 was attractive.

As far as the EOL status is concerned, yes, I do know that; I wanted to get some knowledge and understanding of some of the new features before spending some thousands of dollars on a new version which I may never be able to use.

In terms of helping out then, does Appeon have records of who the original purchaser of this unit was, or if it was even ever sold; I understand that it came from a store bankruptcy although that may be wrong,

Thanks for your continued assistance,

Nigel

former_member185283
Participant
0 Kudos

Nigel,

The EULA is shown when you install the program, and I believe in the past Sybase made it available separately to view before making the purchase.

In your case, if the product was sitting in inventory of the store then it was never sold to an End User, and therefore you could be considered the original owner.  Of course, I'm not a lawyer so please take what I say with a grain of salt.  Also, since it was never sold I don't see how SAP would have a record.  I think your best remedy would be to contact the seller and request the product key.

There is no need to spend thousands on PB 12.x.  Per this agreement with SAP, Appeon will be making major innovations to PowerBuilder starting with PowerBuilder 2017, which will be sold on a low-cost subscription basis starting at just USD 695 per year. 

Here's what's planned for PowerBuilder 2017, 2018, and 2019: Bruce Armstrong's blog: Recap of PowerBuilder Future Webcast 4

Regards,

Armeen Mazda

CEO, Appeon

ricardojasso
Participant
0 Kudos

Nigel,

To your knowledge Appeon has signed an agreement with SAP to develop their own version of PowerBuilder based on the current PowerBuilder technology. You can read the official announcement at Appeon's web site: http://www.appeon.com/bencandy.do?fid-4-id-898-page-1.htm

I'd recommend you register yourself at the Appeon web site and watch all the recorded web casts Armeen has presented over the past months. Of special interest is the new licensing model that changes from a perpetual license model to a subscription based one.

So it might not be a bad idea to keep your application at PB9 and wait for the release of Appeon PowerBuilder 2017 scheduled for the first semester of that same year.

Regards,

Ricardo

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wish I was in a position to think of $Au1000 a year as low-cost.

In the meantime I'm really enjoying the Community edition of Visual Studio and I much prefer Netbeans to Eclipse.

$0.02

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul;

FYI: Appeon is also planning to offer a Community Edition of Appeon PB as well. 

Regards... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

USD 695 per year is much better than USD 2995 every time a new version comes out.