cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start a SAP training institute?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello every one,

Thanks for reading this email. I have a couple of questions. It would be great if you can help me out by answering these.

1. How to start a SAP training institute?

2. What would be the cost of the SAP software ,that one needs to buy for training ?

3. Should we contact SAP to get permisson to conduct SAP training ?

Thanks in advance.

Karan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karan,

I once also thought about starting an SAP training institute and did some research about it. Let me share with you what I learned about it . I would appreciate comments from representatives of SAP Education if they read this thread. Maybe they can correct me if I wrote something wrong.

Generally, all SAP training institutes can be divided into two groups:

1. SAP Training institutes authorized by SAP Education
  2. SAP Training institutes non-authorized by SAP Education

Let us consider each of these options in more details.

1. SAP Training Institutes Authorized by SAP Education

In this case, you need to become a partner of SAP Education. Becoming an SAP partner is not very easy because your company needs to satisfy a number of criteria (for example, guaranteed amount of sales, clients base, certified instructors, business plan, etc).

After you become a partner, SAP Education will provide you all SAP training materials that are needed for conducting training sessions. So, you do not even need to develop your own SAP courses. You only need to have qualified instructors who can teach the standard SAP courses. Moreover, you get free access to SAP educational systems for training purposes. These SAP systems are set up with all training data and you do not need to worry about problems related to Basis.

So, this is an easy and at the same time difficult option to start your own SAP training institute because you need to have big initial investments.

2. SAP Training Institutes Non-Authorized by SAP Education

In this case, you do not have any relationship with SAP. You certainly do not need to contact SAP for asking their permission to teach SAP because they cannot prohibit it. They can and will prohibit you to use any training materials that were developed by SAP Education because they are protected by copyright. But if you develop your own SAP training books, no one can prohibit you to use them for teaching your students.

So, as long as you do not use any training materials developed by SAP, it is fine to teach students how to work with SAP, customize it, and develop programs for it.

A big problem for non-authorized institutes is licences for SAP systems. SAP does not offer any licences for "training purposes". SAP IDES systems are only available to companies that have already bought some licences of SAP ERP for production purposes and these licences also seem like a big investment for small training institutes.

I strongly recommend SAP training institutes to refrain from using "pirated" SAP systems because it is not possible to build a successful business if you do not play according to the rules.

I wish you good luck with starting your SAP training institute and hope to see it in the directory of SAP training providers on the blog of my friend Cleo here: SAP Training. It is free to add information about your institute and hopefully listing in this directory will help you to find your first students!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Ghanem for clearing my long pending doubt.

I was always worried that even if I am using my own material, SAP might object because I am fundamentally teaching about their system/software.

Anyway, you have a very valid and correct point about the system.

So, can we use the local SAP installations that SAP provides to run SAP?

Like this one is for Linux:

https://store.sap.com/sap/cp/ui/resources/store/html/SolutionDetails.html?pid=0000000243

Or the one for Windows:

https://store.sap.com/sap/cp/ui/resources/store/html/SolutionDetails.html?pid=0000000218

Would it be okay to teach students using these installations with my own material created around it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am afraid that you cannot use the software that you linked to because of its license restrictions. Here is what it says (point c):

"SAP retains all ownership and intellectual property rights in the Software. You may not: a) remove or modify any marks or proprietary notices of SAP, b) provide or make the Software available to any third party, c) use the Software to provide third party training for SAP products, ..."

Also, please see the attached screenshot for more information:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Ghanem. You have perfectly answered my query.

For me, I can not go for option 1, which is being partner. Because I assume, there will be an expensive fee for the same. There could be other terms and conditions as well, having minimum expectations.

Being short on capital, I can not go for it.

If I am left with second option, From this information, I can only conclude that I will have to create PPTs and PDFs of my own, which I am fine with. But students need server to practice on and they can not learn without having hands on. If the evaluation software and Pirated software both are not an option, what do you suggest I should do for providing server access to students? What are other companies listed in the site you mentioned are doing? I have heard of few sites that give monthly basis access to SAP systems. Is that all right for SAP? I believe I can use the screenshots from these systems to create my study material?

Thanks once again for answering my long due questions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you can create your own PPTs and PDFs. You can also use screenshots in you training materials. Just mention in the beginning of your files that all copyrighted content shown on the screenshots belongs to SAP.

The main problem is with the server for your training purposes. Currently, I see these options:

Option A

Get access to an SAP server from SAP. Read more here: SAP Live Access. The main downside is that it is ridiculously expensive. The price depends on various options but, for example, 20 hours of access to the server (for one user) will cost you USD 191.

Option B

Get access to an SAP server from a third-party company. The prices vary but, for example, you can get one month of access for USD 50 (for one user). I do not know what kind of software these companies use but they claim that it is okay to use it as long as it is not for production purposes (e.g., you do not enter real business transactions in the system). My hypothesis is that these companies purchased some real licenses from SAP and as holders of these licenses they got access for downloading SAP IDES.

If option A is too expensive for you, I think that option B still could be a viable alternative because you are protected from potential risks by the third-party company that provides you the SAP server. If something goes wrong and SAP asks you about licenses for the software that you are using for training, you can simply show them invoices from the third-party company and tell them that you outsource your SAP server to this company. It then will be responsibility of the third-party company to present the licenses to SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That answers all my questions! Thanks a lot.

I wish OP could mark your last answer as correct answer.

But thanks for taking time to answer my queries.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are welcome

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same query.

This thread is from 2006. Any change of rules since then?

Is it necessary to partner with SAP to start a training institute?

I tried to search sap websites for possible information, but could not get any. Would be great if anyone could provide any link which is specific for training institutes.

0 Kudos

Hi Chinmay!

I too have the same Query, i see that there has been no response to your query, incase if you have started the institute, may be you can help me!

I need to know the procedure to start an SAP training Institute.

I have set up a Company, now what next? Do i need to Partner with SAP? how do i get access to SAP IDES? How much is it going to cost me?

Once that is in place, who are the people i need like Basis team to set up the landscape. etc...

Awaiting a response from anyone, who can guide me.

Regards,

Ronica.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings, The best way to get trained on SAP NetWeaver is to learn more about the elearnings and white papers available on SDN. SAP Education offers many different classes for SAP NetWeaver which can be accessed via sap.com. For software costs, please contact your local SAP AE. Regards, Angie Halderman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Angie,

I think the guy wants to start his own training institute, can he do that with all these trial versions available on SDN ? If his focus is only Netweaver training..

cheers,

Sanjeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

The best way to do is by partnering with SAP. You have all the details available under education tab for this. But do come up with a good institute and teach well.

Good luck in all your endeavors.