cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM explosion from Production Order

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I understand from SAP Help files that we can explode BOM from Production Order using Read PP Master Data. But it also says, that we cannot do this if items have already been issued out. So would like to know is there anyway out to ensure that the production order is reading the latest version of BOM.

The reason i want to know is because, at present the BOM keeps getting updated & so the work order has to reflect the new items. The BOM contains about 300 or more items, so manual changes is very tedious & error prone at the moment. Furthermore some components are outsourced. So i want to receive them back & post new materials for them. Hope my problem is clear & await inputs

Vivek

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

would the use of alternate BOMs assist with these changes? maybe if the revisions change back and forth at different times?

Former Member
0 Kudos

If i maintain alternate BOM, can i change the BOM which is associated with the production order once it has been released & items issued to the order?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hmm, no i was thinking preemptively PP may know (should?) what is to be produced before they firm it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

Ths only solution is you need to maintain BOM explosion number in production order (manually) or this will copy from planned order if maintained.

This is nothing but key fixed date to explode the bom on a particular date automatically. If you maintain this then BOM will exploded automatically on this date the changed components will issued after this date to the production orders.

The transcation code is...MDSP.

Or you can maintain BOM by date from OPPP transaction. On particulars dates you can explode the BOMs.

If you have any question then let me know.

regards

TAJUDDIN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tajuddin,

Thanks 4 the inputs. I would like to know the following things,

1. Where can i maintain BOM explosion number in production order

2. Can i add these explosion numbers to the order after the order has been released & items issued to the order?

3. Can i maintain multiple BOM explosion numbers & re-explode the BOM more than once after the release of order if the BOM changes?

4. Can you let me know about the transaction MDSP in a little more detail or if there is any place where i can get this info from, please let me know

Vivek

former_member184627
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

You can also maintain the BOM explosion number in the PIR. (i.e.) In the md61/md62 transaction screen. Check the Item data tab.

When mrp is run this number is considered.

Regards,

SDS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Senthil,

Thanks for your inputs. But we do not create any requirements manually, it is all from MRP runs. So i think i will have to maintain the numbers in the material master itself.

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi vivek,

Are ur boms alternative boms or ur bom is getting changed w.r.t a change number over period of time. Because, as i under stand you wont be able to read pp master data once u have issued some material to the Prod order.

But in case ur bom is getting changed w.r.t a change number and u want to copy the changed bom to the production order, then there is a facility called " 0rder change management". where in u can dopy the changed to a bom or routing w.r.t a change number even though you have done some activity like material issue and confirmation. The TC for this is COCM.

Check this out and let us know.

reg

kiki

Award points if this is helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiki,

Thanks for that input. Yes change numbers are used for each revision of BOM. I would like to know how i can change the BOM associated with the work order using COCM. Also how to receive back the items issued to work order & release the new components to the work order? If you can explain in-brief with their t-codes, it would be helpful. Also Mr. Tajuddin, suggested using BOM explosion numbers. Any idea where i can associate these BOM explosion numbers in a Production Order?

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

To Execute OCM you have to maintain the Overall profile for a BOM header material in material master work scheduling view. Then do the changes in BOM with respect to the change number. Now execute the COCM transaction for the change number used. System will throw the changed elements like production order planned order purchase request of that item.

If the order still exits in REL or CRTD mode, then system will automatically update the changes to that order. But if the order has GMPS, PCNF,CNF,DLV,MILE, then we have to manually update the changes in the affected procurement elements.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek

To receive back the items issued to the production order try going to MB1A with 262 mvmt type and giving the order reference number. this will reverse the goods issue to the production order.

BOM explosion number is created in t.code MDSP. give the material number and dates and a number to it. in MRP4 view of material master u have to select the appropriate selection version.

In T.Code OPPP, allocat ethe reqd BOM explosion number.

if this number has to be changed, we can also allocate in the production order by doing the Read Master data. Do this after reversing the goods issue.

Hope this solves ur problem. Please inform if it works.

Regards

Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

Once you issue material against production order, Normally it will not consider new BOM.

Expl. date is in Production order , master data field in BOM , if you see last you can get expl. date.

before you issue material , you can do PP master data and consider the lastest BOM . once you start issue .you should not change your BOM .

If you have longer list of companent and you have longer time to convert the material then it is better to splilt and make more level in BOM by the you can solve your frequent change in BOM

Thanks

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi vivek,

Like sudhar has suggested, u will have to create a Order change management (ocm) profile. To create this you have to go thro the path- Production-Shop floor control-Operations-Change management for production orders-define overall change profile (TC OPL9). Here u go and create a profile and define how the system has to work under various conditions for a particular change number.

Once u have created the profile, u are supposed to add this profile in the material master in the work scheduling view, overall profile field. Note: U can only do OCM to the material for which u have added this profile.

Once you have done this, u can access the transaction COCM, where u can enter the change number and proceed further.

Regarding taking back the material into stock which are not relevant w.r.t the change number, the forum members have already given u the various methods and means.

Hope this helps.

reg

kiki

kindly reward points if this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

sorry for my late reply.

1) You can see the BOM explosion number in Assignment tab in production order. You cannot manaully this in PO. You need to copy this from planned order. Means you need to maintain in planned order and this will be copied from planned

order to production order.

In transaction OPPQ you need to define explode BOM with BOM explo number/order start date.

2) You can maintain multiple BOM explosion numbers but at a time one will be valid per production order.

3) Read the help for BOm exploison from below link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/f4/7d3f9344af11d182b40000e829fbfe/frameset.htm

Regards

TAJUDDIN

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for the inputs. I think for the situation am facing, the Order change management method, should be of help, as the BOM changes does not take place on scheduled dates, for me to fix the BOM explosion dates & assign them. As of now the BOM gets changed, depending the customer requirements, which is unpredictable.

Clarification required:

1. The profile which is created using OPL7 & assigned in OPL9 is unique, i.e. for any change numbers of BOM will always follow the profile entered in 'Overall Profile' in Work Scheduling view & i do not need to create new profiles for each new change number of BOM

2. Once i run the COCM with the new change number, in the production order - components view will i be able to see any error message for those items which no longer feature in the new version of BOM? & will the materials added in the new BOM automatically feature in that list or do i have to manually add these to the order & if so, how will i know which materials need to be added?

Hope the clarifications sought are clear, await inputs

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi vivek,

The profile is basically a rule which u are maintaining and it is a one time activity. Also u have have various profile with different set of rules which can be assigned to different material number. But generally an industry practises a single method which defines how the system should behave for a ECM.

Regarding the second point, on running the order change management transaction, it will list all the production orders of the header material for which the Change number will be relevant . U can choose the production order for which u need to execute these changes. the system will give you both the details of old part number that is not required as well as which are added new. once u execute, the new bom will be copied to the production order. No manuall intervention is required. You can see the changes in the production order which will be mentioned against the change number.

Also vivek,

there is a facility in SAP to compare boms. The transaction code is CS14. See if this is of any help.

reg

Kiki

Award points if this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiki Gan,

Thanks a lot for those inputs. I think this will resolve the issue which i am facing at the moment. I will carry out a trial run in Sandbox server & update you on the result. About T-code CS14, yes i am aware of it & that is very helpful. I will keep the thread open till i carry out my trial run. Thanks once again for having shared your knowledge, keep the great work going. I wish i could award you with more than 10 points.

Regards,

Vivek