Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why SAP jobs pay so much?

Former Member

hello friends,

few of my friends got job in SAP SD, FICO module. the salary is really great. my question is comparing to other platforms ex JAVA, networking, programmer etc SAP ppl seems to make more money. is that cause

1. extensive travel involvement?

2 not enough supply in the market?

or something else?

i am confused.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KKilhavn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No, it is much simpler than that. You are probably aware of the discrimination that is going on in the workplace, i.e. better-looking people get better salaries. All us SAP consultants are downright stunning. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrithik_Roshan">Hrithik Roshan</a> and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilpa_Shetty">Shilpa Shetty</a> pale alongside us, and that is the simple explanation for the higher salaries.

It could also be because all universities churn out Java-programmers, but you won't (as far as I know) find a single ABAP-programmer or SAP functional consultant coming straight from the university. So as you indicate, it is probably an issue of supply and demand. SAP is doing well, so SAP consultants are in high demand, whether it be technical consultants or functional consultants. I haven't heard of any employers offering higher salaries due to extensive travelling. Usually it is not difficult to find people who won't mind seeing other parts the world (for a few years) at the expense of others.

To reduce the salary pressure some companies, IBM among others, set up their own education programmes. Time will show whether that will be a successful strategy or not.

Kjetil Kilhavn (Vettug AS) - ABAP developer since Feb 2000
90 REPLIES 90

KKilhavn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No, it is much simpler than that. You are probably aware of the discrimination that is going on in the workplace, i.e. better-looking people get better salaries. All us SAP consultants are downright stunning. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrithik_Roshan">Hrithik Roshan</a> and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilpa_Shetty">Shilpa Shetty</a> pale alongside us, and that is the simple explanation for the higher salaries.

It could also be because all universities churn out Java-programmers, but you won't (as far as I know) find a single ABAP-programmer or SAP functional consultant coming straight from the university. So as you indicate, it is probably an issue of supply and demand. SAP is doing well, so SAP consultants are in high demand, whether it be technical consultants or functional consultants. I haven't heard of any employers offering higher salaries due to extensive travelling. Usually it is not difficult to find people who won't mind seeing other parts the world (for a few years) at the expense of others.

To reduce the salary pressure some companies, IBM among others, set up their own education programmes. Time will show whether that will be a successful strategy or not.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As with any profession, if you are on top of your game, you will be rewarded. Alot of hard work and lots of hours go into thisw, and very few people start off with lots of money!

The common misconception is that if you work in SAP you will get lots of money! You have to work very ahrd for it, and it will not just fall in your lap. Many people have to work many years before they can command the salaries they get, otherwise, they go freelance, and the work is not always there.

Don;t get into SAP thinking you will make your fortune, it doesn;t work that way. Do it because you love it.

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Let's not forget that you cannot compare apples with oranges:

A FICO person is usually a <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_analyst">business analyst</a> with skills of an <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accountant">accountant</a>.

When you are talking about Java you are talking about a <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmer">programmer</a> or a <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_developer">software developer</a>.

This has nothing to do with SAP, it applies to any organisation. As Barry said, through hard work and becoming good at what you do can you move from bookeeper to accountant to financial business analyst; or from dispatch clerk to logistics consultant.

KKilhavn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> [...] through hard work and

> becoming good at what you do can you move from

> bookeeper to accountant to financial business

> analyst; or from dispatch clerk to logistics

> consultant.

Not to mention; from Java developer to ABAP developer and ultimately to SAP Business Workflow developer - the best of the best of the best as they say in Men In Black

<i>For those who don't know: both Mike and I are familiar with the SAP Business Workflow environment.</i>

It's not that ABAP coding is more difficult than Java coding. I haven't done any Java development, but I would think the usual rule about difference between languages being mostly a syntax issue applies. However, there are some differences between your average Java programmer and your average ABAP developer it seems.

One difference was once described as "the Java programmers look for ways to break the system security, while the ABAP programmers look for ways to make the system safer". A bit of a hacker culture among many Java developers, that is.

ABAP developers usually quite quickly come across performance issues. It is not related to the programming language, it is related to the environment we work in - large enterprise systems where database size growth sometimes is counted in tens of gigabytes per month.

The SAP systems are also huge and complex in a different manner. If you are developing a solution one should (well, at least I agree with this) try to find existing function modules, data elements etc that can be used. This can take a large percentage of your time when you work in SAP. An experienced SAP developer should know her/his way around the system, and thus can be much more productive than a beginner.

Experience always makes you worth more (makes you more effective). I suppose the potential is not exhausted as quickly in SAP as in other development environments, but I don't really see why a fresh developer should make more money developing in ABAP than in Java.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Reason is, simple stock market concept.... Demand and Supply game

regards,

Vinodh.

0 Kudos

> Hi

>

> Reason is, simple stock market concept.... Demand and

> Supply game

>

> regards,

> Vinodh.

But if you saturate the market with any product, the price goes down...

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

IMHO, we as ABAP Developers earn more money simply because large companies use SAP...In a big company you got the most critical processes and environments, so you need to pay a lot to got the best developers and get the best applications running -:)

Five years ago, when I was a SAP freshman...I earn X dollars...Now, being a Senior Developer I earn 9X dollars...Comparing to some of my friends that works either on Java, Oracle or Power Builder...

ABAP is not that hard to learn...But being good is hard...You have to learn some of the basics of every SAP module...learn tons of table names, FM's, BAPI's and so on...

Of course...at least in Perú...a new army of ABAP developers are being released to the market every 6 months or less...But being junior developers they got that much...When the become Senior...You can become an Architech and earn even more -:)

Also, it can depend on the way you sell yourself...Here on Perú, I'm very well known and beign a Freelance Consultant gives me the opportunity to not only work on a lot of companies but also on a lot of Consultant companies, so that's why I'm able to reject some offers, and ask more money for certain projects...

It depends of course on the Market, the country, the company and some other factors...Still, be earn big money, which makes happy enough to not question my paycheck -;)

Greetings,

Blag.

0 Kudos

best ans...thanx for your time

0 Kudos

Anytime mate -;)

Greetings,

Blag.

0 Kudos

It is knowing that SAP environment that causes the uplift in fees that can be commanded. I know most major modules to some extent, but where I add value, is that I know how SAP generally "works" - so that when a question comes up in GRC, (to take a recent exampe), in which I've no experience, I'm able to figure out what's going on. Which is why when my clients have some new technology or SAP aspect to deal with, they often place it on my desk with a note to "figure it out".

But mainly I think it's because I'm so good-looking.

0 Kudos

But higher wages aren't due because SAP is The Empire of Evil (tm) so full of money to rule the world?

0 Kudos

Yes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> hello friends,

> few of my friends got job in SAP SD, FICO module. the

> salary is really great. my question is comparing to

> other platforms ex JAVA, networking, programmer etc

> SAP ppl seems to make more money. is that cause

> 1. extensive travel involvement?

> 2 not enough supply in the market?

> or something else?

> i am confused.

It's because SAP stands for Salary Advance Program !

0 Kudos

hahaha..that must be the reason..

0 Kudos

> It's because SAP stands for Salary Advance Program !

That's a new one! I used to collect these abbreviations, but I can't find my list now, so I just remember a few;

Stop All Production (offshore (oil) workers)

Submit And Pray (programmers)

Suffering And Pain (don't know)

Suffer And Pay (don't know, but probably someone who paid the license fees

0 Kudos

Sod All Profiles !

0 Kudos

Nice Kjetil -:D You have made me laugh -;) You should have send those to the Dagfinn contest....Did you remember this one???

SAP --> Shai Agassi Products.

Greetings,

Blag.

0 Kudos

You have to work hard and sell you to better offerers

Former Member
0 Kudos

coz simply sky is the limit for SAP..

former_member184701
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

not always

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

See what you like... I was in your position two years ago and I think I had choose the best option for me and my future plans, Now Im in SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is very interesting question and observation.

Yes SAP Consultants are paid relatively more compare to other IT Jobs most of the times.

There are few factors contributing to higher pay checks.

1. Functional consultants don't evolve out of college , they have lot of doman expertise like Finance, Manufacturing, Sales  and Distribution , Logistics etc., so before they learn the respective modules they are usually knowledgeble and have some experience but wanted to tune them better. Experience + SAP training + SAP experience ( more experience more work and smart move = more money)

2. SAP Projects are usually short term in nature so people are expected to move alot from one place to other. so always makes you stand on toes for understanding new businesses, new people , work culture and adapt it as quickly as possible and deliver.

For eg : Super smart Surgeon charges huge money for the surgery of 1 Hour vs a Medical practictioner from the hospital from the same 1 Hour though both are Doctors because better skill and perform in short period of time.

So Short term + Travel + Additional Stress of Delivery + Variety Skill = Additional money.

3. There may be between the assignment times where you don't get project closest to your base location , at certain points of time at times demand and Supply also contributes more SAP Fico consultants available in NY-NJ-CT-PA areas automatically chances become weak and rates can't be higher.

So need to cover slack time into consideration and also demand supply factors.

4. Ofcourse last one I can think of.. is a Brand You carry with you. SAP implementations are usually for large companies with bigger pockets . Like you have BMW SUV and Hyundai SUV both can function and looks wize similarities but people have choices to make.

So SAP is a big brand and it carries big numbers.

Good Luck if you want to get into SAP Space but Please remember for every effort there is Price and If things were so easy to get more money in SAP , half of the IT people would be in SAP only.. So... I'm Sure there are some other reasons as well, which I couldn't recall at this point.

Regards,

Chakra Adari

Principal Consultant.

SAP-EHSM

Former Member
0 Kudos

My salary is good but not great.

Thomas

0 Kudos

What is good and Great are just relative terms, but in general it plays around Demand and Supply. If you are in niche areas unless you have other parameters like location preferences etc., usually numbers will be very intersting.

I wish you get your great salary soon.

Regards,

Chakra Adari

0 Kudos

Ok, I want to be more specific:

At the age of 25 I was inhouse team member. At the age of 26 I was SAP CRM consultant. The salary increas was significant. I think I got my peak salary between the age of 27-29 but with low increases from 27 to 28 or 29 but I think you could consider it great for that age.

With 31 I went to freelancing. Another significant increase in income. You could call it great for the working hours put in.

With the age 35 I went back to permanent employment at a smaller company and I am still earning less than with the age of 26-29 or even 31-35 with also limited increases which is a little bit frustrating.

Therefore my comment: at the moment I regard my salary as good but not great as the company is small, SAP CRM is no longer that hot and maybe the market is under pressure because of nearshore and offshore.

Maybe I will change my situation in the future, let's see. As an overall judgement I would say SAP consultancy is not a bad area, especially for technical and non-management roles (I think managers get more in all indistries).

In some areas engineers - which would have been an alternative career for me - in Germany (the home of engineers) complain about not so good working conditions and salaries and we are still better than them, I guess. I have also met a number of pysicists and other scientists - some with doctorate - which were also happy to be able to work in the field of SAP (again another possible career for me). In journalism and humanities like political science or chinese studies - which I also considered - income might be less but eventually the work sometimes more interesting (not so much boring ABAP code).

So except compared with doctors and investment bankers we should be pretty fine.

Thomas

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have 7 years experience in environmental field. I'm thinking of moving into SAP. Presently getting trained in SAP SD since there are very less positions in SAP EHS. Do you think SAP EHS is a good field to get into or SAP SD is better in terms of opportunities. I'm equally interested in both. You advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

I agree that SAP EHS has relatively lesser market at this point but if you closely observe entire world is crying loud about Environmental issues, so regulations will become more n more strongers so the need for compliances and all tools for it..

My vision on EHS is, it will be very good area in long run.

Good luck with your choice.

Chakra Adari

0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Hope you are doing fine.

I follow your posts. They are good  and specific to the requirement.Here I would like to put a new question before you. Being a pioneer in the subject and keen observer of the market (Specificly SAP CRM), I think you are the right person to answer this question.

I have been working as SAP CRM Functional Consultant for the last 3.6 years. Now i would like to know the future of SAP CRM  (atleast in the next 10 years). Being an experienced person what would you suggst to your young follower in this stream.Can I continue in CRM by learning even deeply OR would you like me to learn any Emerging Technology related to SAP CRM (if Yes what Technology).

Hope I have not troubled you**.

Thanks & Regards

Ravi

0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

Thanks a lot, that you like my posts.

Concerning future of functional consultants I would say, that WebUI is already quite old, C4C very interesting but it seems that there is not that much work for configuration. But SAP S/4 HANA looks very intersting. I already told my boss that we should have a domo-system and if possible projects as soon as possible.

SAP S/4 HANA should mean Fiori frontend which seems to require Javascript skills for technicians (but still ABAP skills for developing oData services) and CRM and BW and the rest of ERP on the same machine which should make the current middleware and BDoc-monitoring obsolete (at least I guess so). So I think the whole SAP industriy, SAP itself and its partners, bet on the success of this new system and if we become experts in it we should be fine for the next years.

At least that is my oppinion.

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for you immediate reply.
Your vision is impressive. What could be the next decision of clients who using SAP CRM. Do you think they can move to some other solution?.

I would like know you review over C4C as well, in both client and consultant perspective.

Thanks & Regards

Ravi

0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

I don't know much about non SAP solutions and I hope that not many clients move towards them. A move to SAP S/4 HANA would make sense if customers have UX, performance or middleware problems and have not invested that heaviliy in customer coding for WebUI.

With C4C some customers are concerned that the data is soemwhere on a server of SAP SE in Germany. Here SAP also reduced the implementation effort resulting in less work for consultants. My company is using this system productively for our small sales department without big problems for quite a while now.

If I would be a client I would have a close look at SAP S/4 HANA. But I still have limited information about it like e.g. stability at the moment and liscense fees (HANA was supposed to be too expensive for many clients).

Best regards,

Thomas

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is the whole space called Carrer Center on SCN, no need to resurrect a 7 year old post in Coffee Corner.

Former Member
0 Kudos

i thought pay but not necessarily career was discussed here. coffee corner is where those discussion, esp complaining take place, don't they?

otoh, this topic will never die.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Complaining about pay is certainly more coffee corner material.

Asking for good advice here is a different topic (however I did solve my mongoose problem here..!) and carries some unmoderated risks with it.

btw: quality of life and being happy also counts, so if you want to meet nice girls then don't choose basis or security!

Cheers,

Julius

keohanster
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

I disagree!  My #workhusband is the Basis team lead, and although we met long before we were working with SAP, I think I still count as a 'nice girl'.

But thank goodness nobody trolls on SCN for that type of stuff.  Phew!
Sue

0 Kudos

Aren't I a nice person Julius?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm... now I have gotten myself into trouble...

There might be some exceptions, I have just not met them in person yet.

Cheers,

Julius