cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset Acquisition and Capitalization

Former Member
0 Kudos

Friends,

I want to know the difference between asset acquisition and asset capitalization. I used to think, both are the same but there is surely some difference. When I checked an Asset using as03, there were different dates for both the fields.

Hiren

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hiron,

The first postin on an asset is Asset Acquisition and Capitalization. The field Capitalization is then filled in the asset with the same data. On that is with the period settings in the depreciation filled in the depreciation start date (you can change it manual)

All other postings on the asset are acquisition.

It is possible to create with AS01 the option post-Capitalization, in this case you have to fill in the Capitalization manual

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I actually acquired an asset 2 days back using f-90. But, now when I am checking the Acquisition date in AS03 for the asset, it is giving 12/31/2006 and capitalisation date is 2 days back date.

Hiren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

UseAS03, Click on "Asset values" button. There would be some value in APC transactions (planned values tab page).

Probably first acquisition posting made on 12/31/2006.

Regards,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

When I first acquired the asset using f-90, and then checked using as03, the capitalization date and first acquired date were same. i.e. is current date. Then I went to ABNAN and did post-capitalization. There I was only allowed to enter 'Orig. value date' for year 2006. Then when I did as03, the first aquisition date was changes to 12/31/2006.

Hiren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please explain your requirement clearly then I try to help you.

Regards,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Murali,

My Requirement:

I have created an asset using as01.

I acquired that asset using as03.

I displayed the asset using as03 and found that the Capitalization date and The First acquired Date were current date

Then I did ABNAN for Post-Capitalization...There I had to enter the value 'Prig. Value Date'. So I entered today's date and got an error "The date entered should be in a Closed Fiscal Year".

Then I Randomly entered a previous year closed fiscal year date 12/30/2006

Then the capitalization was posted...

Now my doubt is that when I acquired the asset today, then how did SAP allow me to do Post Capitalization with orig date of 2006?

Also after this, when I did as03, the capitalization date was today's date which is fine but the Acquisition date had changed to 12/31/2006

I also want to ensure that next time what date should I enter in Orig. Value date because I cannot be entering a random date.

Can you explain this to me.

Hiren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hiren,

It is fine. I didn't get your point to work around ABNAN.

Could you please explain the Business requirement to do all this.

Regards,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

When you create an asset through AS01 and checked the Post-Capitalization check box, the system copies the date entered in the Capitalization date to the First Acquired Date. <b>This date should invariably from a closed FY</b>. First Acquired date is to record the date on which the first transaction happned on the asset.

And when you enter the data through ABNAN you must give the Original Valudate of the Closed FY.

If it is not necessary do not check the Post-Capitalization check box and you can enter the date as required.

In your issue the Acquired date cannot be changed now.

You need to create a new asset.

Thanks

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am currently doing a testing assignment and have created the asset today so it should not allow me to post-capitalize in previous closed year. I think i am confused. Do you have some related notes on this topic?

Hiren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me try to explain the concept of Post-Capitalization.

You capitalize an asset for a fiscal year in which the asset was not originally capitalized. This posting, however, is to be made for a fiscal year that is already closed.

That means in Post-Capitalization scenario your are creating an asset in SAP which was physically capitalized much before.

Hope this clarifies. Revert if issue still persists.

Thanks

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vijay gave you a great explanation regarding the use of Post Capitalization. If you are purchasing the item today and want a cap date in the current fiscal year why are you using ABNAN? You should not be using that transaction and you should not be flagging in post capitalization when you create your asset master record via AS01. That transaction is only used to post values to an asset from a closed fiscal year -- just as Vijay explained.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lidia,

I completely agree with you. However as per the testing requirements, I have to use ABNAN.

Well one more thing...just for my knoweledge...which transaction should I use for changing values of asset in the current year??

Hiren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay.

I created one asset with date 01.04.2004(post captialisation box tick ).

Now I am using ABNAN. But I am getting error msg:-

1) when I am using posting date after the 2004 then msg come period is not closed.

2) when I am using posting date 2004 then msg come perios id already closed .

both msg in red line.

Plz Advise.

Rgd

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Hi,

>

> Let me try to explain the concept of

> Post-Capitalization.

>

> You capitalize an asset for a fiscal year in which

> the asset was not originally capitalized. This

> posting, however, is to be made for a fiscal year

> that is already closed.

>

> That means in Post-Capitalization scenario your are

> creating an asset in SAP which was physically

> capitalized much before.

>

> Hope this clarifies. Revert if issue still persists.

>

> Thanks

> Vijay

Hi,

Can you try to help me understand this:

"You capitalize an asset for a fiscal year in which the asset was not originally capitalized "

thanks

Nikhil