There is a pipeline project that at this moment just says "an integration between SAP and an external WMS system". I know this does not say much or even anything, but if there's anyone who knows something about the in-quotes above, then I would like to get some heads-up on what to expect.
Questions may vary like:-
-If sap is used, why an external WMS system
-or does SAP have an external WMS system
-if the 2nd then how is this connection made?
-if there's a 3rd party WMS system, how is that integration made?
if anyone has such an experience in the above then defintely some heads-up will be useful.
Mainly SAP integrates with External WMS system for the following functionalities/scenarios:
1. Warehouse control units (WCU)
2. Fork lift control systems or carousels
3. Decentralized warehouse management systems
Whenever there is any integration between SAP with external WMS system the questions should come at a glance:
- What are the functionalities will be handled in SAP?
- What are the functionalities will be handled in External WMS?
- How the data will flow from SAP to External WMS and vice versa?
The main processes covers
The WMS-WCU interface supports the following communication processes between the systems:
1. Transferring transfer orders from the SAP WMS to the external system
2. Transferring the release of collective processes from the SAP WMS to the external system
3. Transferring cancellation requests from the SAP WMS to the external system
4. Creating transfer orders reported by the external system in the SAP WMS
5. Confirming transfer orders reported as completed by the external system in the SAP WMS
6. Moving storage units
7. Blocking storage units or aisles
8. Creating transfer requirements reported by the external system in the SAP WMS
9. Canceling transfer orders in the SAP WMS, which the external system reports as not completed
Hope this helps.
Hi there, thanks
regarding all these transfer orders and cancelletions, blocking etc., what are the protocols used in real life, ...say idocs or would it be just simple emails (doesn't seem that probable though)?
any ideas on this one here , or do you or anyone has any tangible examples and with system names ?