cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartform problems with 31 characters when rotated

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are currently unable to print more than 31 characters in a string in our smartform. The text is rotated, and ^fs is inserted after 31 characters (we caught the ZPL going to the printer), breaking our line in half. We have other applications sharing the printer that do not have this issue - seems to be specific to the smartform coming out of SAP. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? We cannot break the string into logical parts, as the length of the characters varies depending on the letters. Any ideas are appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'was facing same issue and I reseolved this problem! you can try the SAP OSS note 1272273.

Florian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Derbel,

thanks for that, but this can't be the issue because I used a newer release (7.31), but for those who wants to try it, here you go.

~Florian

hmhristov
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello Amanda,

Six years later... I'm facing same issue and can't find a solution

Did SAP released OSS Note on this problem or you found workaround?

Thank you,

Hristo

Florian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hristo,

I think it is just limited to 31 characters as far as I know. Never humbled over a node or anything else which provides a solution to it.

If you want to use the Courier-Solution I refer you to the official zebra-documentation. Page 42 explains how to install additional fonts and what fonts are supported.

http://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra/product-information/en-us/brochures-datasheets/sap/sap-smartf...

~Florian

Former Member
0 Kudos

We opened an OSS with SAP - this is a hard system limitation. Had to redevelop the entire form w/ a fixed width font so that we could calculate where to split & start strings. It has nothing to do w/ window size, etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Amanda,

I am facing the same issue right now with the ZEBRA prints. You said you had to redevelop the entire form with a fixed width font. Could you please tell me how you did this?

Right now I am printing material description (40 chars) and I am having this issue. As a temporary solution, I split the description into 30 and 10 chars and put them in two seperate windows. This solution will not work in all instances. I need to fix this.

Please let me know how you did the fixed width font thing?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry on the delay - we have been out for holiday.

Choose a font for your form where all the characters are the same width - we used Courier

Then - you can always split your string and print/test to determine where each portion of the string should start, as each set of 30 characters, regardless of content, will be exactly the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I think I tried COURIER earlier and for some reason it was not printing all the characters with same width.

FYI - on my label I am using HELVIC font for information like Material Number, Batch Number...... I used COURIER on material description (length 40 chars) which had the problem and for some reason the width of the characters printing was not fixed.

I see two COURIER fonts out there in smartstyles COURIER and COUR_I7. Which one did you use?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

just courier

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will give this is a try once again. BTW - you said you created an OSS for this issue.... do you have any OSS number or something for what you created?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Amanda,

I tried COURIER font and for some reason I don't see any change in the label print. For example I used COURIER font on below texts

thisisatestof30charprint

THISISATESTOF30CHARPRINT

when I print the above texts to normal windows printer, both the above texts take same length but when I print to ZEBRA printer, they both are not printing with same length. For some reason I think, the ZEBRA is not recognizing COURIER font. Did you do anything with the ZEBRA printer to make it recognize the COURIER font?

Please let me know. Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as i understood ur query ,this is my answer

Do you see the same thing happening in the pritn prview aswell

The text may be exceeding the window size and if it is the case text wrapping will

occur by default .