cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change hostname on NetWeaver 2004s NW (Win2k3 + MSSQL)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm a Virtualization expert @SAP IT. I was aked to provide a solution for hostname change process for cloned virtual machines. Here, i'm posting my solution but use it on your own risk and sideeffects can appear too (applicable to NW 2004s - don't know about side effects till now).

1. Change your hostname to a new one (newsid for clonned) and stop SAP services with prefix SAPXYZ_AB

2. open the c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file and add your previous hostname at the end of 127.0.0.1 line:

127.0.0.1 localhost youroldhostname

3. Use sql enterprise manager (or other SQL tool) in order to connect NW's database.

4. NW's database is a database with a SAP systemID - XYZ and locate J2EE_CONFIGENTRY table

5. Open a query window and check the following SQL Query for previous appearances of your hostname

SELECT *

FROM J2EE_CONFIGENTRY

WHERE (UPPER(VSTR) = 'YOUROLDHOSTNAME-WITH-CAPITAL-LETTERS')

6. If this query returns results - run the following SQL update command

UPDATE J2EE_CONFIGENTRY

SET VSTR = 'NEWHOSTNAME'

WHERE (UPPER(VSTR) = 'YOUROLDHOSTNAME-WITH-CAPITAL-LETTERS')

7. if step 5 failed try to run query w/oout where statement

Best regards,

Boris Mikhailovski

System & Software engineer

Message was edited by:

Boris Mikhailovski

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I'm a Virtualization expert @SAP IT. I was aked to provide a solution for hostname change process for cloned virtual machines. Here, i'm posting my solution but use it on your own risk and sideeffects can appear too (applicable to NW 2004s - don't know about side effects till now).

Just as addition:

"Officially" it's not supported to rename instances, this is especially true for Java instances:

Note 757692 - Changing the hostname for J2EE Engine 6.40/7.0 installation

<...>

This note should be applied only when the hostname of a machine where the j2ee engine was already installed has changed. It does not replace the SAP official system copy procedure and MUST NOT be used for copying of an instance to another host and/or with different SID.

<...>

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

For newer NW versions see: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-32851

Former Member
0 Kudos

The hostname must also be changed at the configtool.

1. run and connect to the "<b>configtool</b>":

2. select "<b>secure store</b>" at the tree on the left

3. select the row with the key "<b>admin/host/XYZ</b>" (where XYZ is the system id)

4. change the value (at the bottom of the window) to the new hostname

5. Press "<b>Add</b>" and "<b>Apply</b>"

Moshe Sayag

Software Engineer

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you're changing domains, make sure you modify the SAPFQDN parameter in the DEFAULT.PFL

SAPFQDN = mycompany.com

-John

Former Member
0 Kudos

answer isn't required, posted as info