Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the difference between SM30 and SM31

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just curious to find why does SAP provide SM30 and SM31 transaction. The tcode looks same and for the purpose of table maintenance.

any idea why?

Regards,

Vijayendra

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi vijay,

Using SM31 and SM30

SM31 and SM30 can also be used to display and update table data. SM31 is an older version of SM30 that has less functionality. The input field on the first screen of SM30 is long enough to accommodate any table name; on SM31 it is only five characters long. Before you can use either one, a special program called a standard maintenance dialog must be generated for the table you want to display.

A standard maintenance dialog is an ABAP/4 program that you generate. When you invoke SM31 or SM30, the data browser will automatically find and invoke that generated program. It provides a more complex interface and more functionality than SE16. For more information on maintenance dialogs and the procedure to create them, consult the R/3 Library help.

below link might help you.

http://www.sapdevelopment.co.uk/tips/tips_tabmaint_tcode.htm

if it helps you reward with points and close the thread if your question is solved

regards,

venu.

7 REPLIES 7

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

standard table maintenance functions is transaction SM31, extended table maintenance functions is transaction SM30

Eddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi vijay,

Using SM31 and SM30

SM31 and SM30 can also be used to display and update table data. SM31 is an older version of SM30 that has less functionality. The input field on the first screen of SM30 is long enough to accommodate any table name; on SM31 it is only five characters long. Before you can use either one, a special program called a standard maintenance dialog must be generated for the table you want to display.

A standard maintenance dialog is an ABAP/4 program that you generate. When you invoke SM31 or SM30, the data browser will automatically find and invoke that generated program. It provides a more complex interface and more functionality than SE16. For more information on maintenance dialogs and the procedure to create them, consult the R/3 Library help.

below link might help you.

http://www.sapdevelopment.co.uk/tips/tips_tabmaint_tcode.htm

if it helps you reward with points and close the thread if your question is solved

regards,

venu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eddy & Venu,

Thanks for your replies. Indeed appreciate that.

Eddy ~ could you provide some more details?

venu~ Thanks for the information. I have couple of questions for you.

Actually i am descently good in ABAP so am aware of the use of table maintenance dialogs and the generated objects and all the complexcity associated with it. However i was not aware of the availablity of two tcodes. As you have mentioned about the difference that one is absolete and one supports a longer object name then the other.

I just tried to create a table with the maximimum possible length and also tried to create maintenance dialogs. I was successfully able to maintain the table in both SM30 and SM31. So i think both the tcode supports longer object names. I also checked the menu and other functionality everything looks same not sure why one is obsolete and why one is new. I just checked the program names associated with both these tcode and surprisingly both the tcode looks up to the same program SAPMSVMA.

So am not really convienced why there are two tcodes.

Anyways thanks for your time and truly appreciate your response and the useful link.

Thanks and take care,

Vijayendra

0 Kudos

Hi,

SM30: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/67/86b109415811d1893d0000e8323c4f/frameset.htm

I didn't find any documentation on SM31 and to be honnest I've never used SM31.

Eddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eddy,

Thanks the link was useful.

cheers

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijayendra Rao;

SM31 is called Standard Table Maintainance Tool & SM30 is called as Enhanced Table Maintainance.

Both SM30 and SM31 use the same program SAPMSVMA. But not all Table can use the Transaction SM30.

SM30 can be use to Call View Maintenance

SM31 can Call View Maintenance Like SM30.

Thats why it is maintained separately in SAP R/3.

Cheers...

Former Member

Hi ,

As of 46 release SM31 points to SM30 .

To see original SM31 you can still goto SM31_OLD.

You can realize the added functionalities in SM30.

Also read OSS 28504 . I guess your curiosity ends here .

All SAP cutomizing transaction use SM30 ( with Table / View Maint Dilaogs ) now.

Award suitable points if you found answers helpful.

Cheers.

Sanjay