cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop running Backup process by BRTOOLS ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We r using HP-UX -- OS for SAP system. We run backup process by DB13 TC.

once the backup started, we can not log in till backup process ends.

If we want to stop this process in between then how to stop BACKUP process safely ? We have to use BRTOOLS ?

Pl' give right method ..............

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just confirm whether you are doing a disk to disk backup or disk to tape backup.

Disk to Disk - It copies the files from oraarch filesystem to logbackup, and sapdata1,2,3... to sapbackup filesystems respectively. This is scheduled through brtools (DB13). This affects the performance tremdrously.

Disk to Tape - This takes all the files from sapbackup and logbackup filesystems to tape. this doesnot affect the performance.

We can kill the backup scheduled by brtools,because there is always a background job is triggered for the backup, the jobs always start with DBA*. Then kill that job, with help of pid from SAP level or OS level. but I doubt that the stopped backup can be used for recovery for future use.

With regards

Sudha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kishore,

Check the backup log file to understand the method used for the backup (offline / online). It’s never a good practice to kill processes when backup is running, unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Use online backup method, which is pretty much the standard now with ERP systems requiring 24/7 availability.

Regards,

Nisch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks.

I think there should be some method to stop BACKUP process through BRTOOLS / any , if we do not require it to continue ( In case of emergency ).

Otherwise 4 our case we have to wait for 26hrs. Becaz DLT device backup takes around 26 hrs. to complete.

We have no altrim backup device which will complete the offline backup in 8 - 10 hrs.

Pl' reply...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kishore

As absolute emergency you can kill the brbackup process and then restart SAP. Off course this renders that backup run useless. Depending on your backup config, there might be more processes to clean up (tar, bpbackup...). Please do also check if a lock file is left behind: /oracle/SID/sapbackup/.lock.brb

You need to delete the lock file as well.

You will have to review your backup strategy as well, as already mentioned consider online backups. A backup running 26h is too long, no matter how big your db is.

Best regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks.

How to kill safely the backup process in running condition ?

Pl' give step by step method ... from HP_UX command prompt / brtools ?

we r using HP server rx2620 with HP-UX OS.

1. oracle/PRD/sapbackup ---- we can observe status of backup by pg .aft file.

Pl' reply......

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

- Do you really want to stop a backup?

For your description it looks like you are doing an OFFLINE backup.

If you really need to perform activities on the system while the backup is runningm then you have to talk to your database administrator and explain to him that an ONLINE backup is needed, not an OFFLINE one.

During an OFFLINE backup SAP is not available

During an ONLINE backup SAP is available.

I will not explain how to "crash/kill/stop" a backup as (IMHO) it is not a good idea to do so.

You want your backups to finish properly

0 Kudos

Hi,

I am also facing the issue in below sap path  it is showing 100 %

/oracle/CRP/sapreorg as it in production system.

Till yesterday it was showing only 12 % & today morning it is showing 100 %.

Please explain me the resaon for sapreorg folder to be showing 100 %

Regards

Hari