cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional Spec Vs. Technical Spec

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MM/WM Gurus,

Being a functional consultant, I need to get the difference between functional specs and technical specs verified. According to a posting I found online at [here |http://sap.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/sap-log-mm/functional-spec-for-3-month-sales-report-1529415] a functional spec should not contain any reference to tables/fields...etc (all ABAP/tech stuff). But the technical spec created with ref to the functional spec does contain all these technical detail. As I understand the functional spec tell you WHAT needs to be done (functionally) and the technical spec tells you HOW it can be done (technically).

Do you agree with this? Usually are there two distinct people who writes the func spec and tech spec?

-Duke

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Duke,

Just to share my views, you're right in most parts, that is the normal process. But i seldom see it being followed completely. I do see a few bits & pieces of technical stuff being mentioned in the functional spec.

The reason being both these have a real close integration & hence we do have to involve both. But to keep the functional part purely functional I use quite a bit of BD's & FD's, this to basically present the concept in a clear way. But i am sure each consultant has his ways & means of presenting.

But it would be quite interesting to actually know, if anyone can actually specify a functional document for some complex flows without any involvement of technical words in it. If anyone has done the same, would be nice if you can share your experience.

Regards,

Vivek