cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch Screen with SAP applications, How?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Has anyone know how will we make a touch screen interact with say, a Webdynpro application. Or how will a touch screen work with a portal application? I know how touch screen works but is there any other requirement to be completed from SAP or WebDynpro side or portal side?i mean do we need some extra coding? For e.g. as ATM machines have touch screen, so how will my SAP application work with it?

Regards,

Ameya.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we build this userinterfaces with adobe flex and adobe flash islands. We found a good trade off between freemdom and programming efford here. For me BSP is to complex, to deep in the machine and to hard to programm for this applications.

Best regards,

Patrick

CEO [mindsquare.de|http://mindsquare.de]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I heard that SAP Research has developed a library for Adobe Flex consisting of user interface components to develop SAP touchscreen user interfaces and the library is available to SAP partners via the Service Marketplace.

Is anybody aware of this?

Regards

Deepthi

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Answered from all the posts above. Thanks all, Thomas, David for your valuable inputs.

Edited by: Ameya Pimpalgaonkar on Dec 5, 2008 7:44 AM

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I've worked on some Touch Screen SAP applications. Touch screen usually works with special monitors that trigger a mouse click for the touch action. This makes programming for a touch screen no different than any other applicaiton. The only thing we did was to design the screen with much bigger buttons. We did this using old dynpro screens and with BSP.

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for inputs people,

Thomas can you please give me some more inputs on the project that you worked on with touch screens? Besides of creating larger buttons, did u do anyother kinda programming or configurations? or any how our SAP application will work with touch screen?

Thanks again,

Regards,

Ameya

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Well there really isn't much else to tell other than the big buttons. From a programming and technology side you really don't do anything different. You should consider touch screen from the design side. Generally simple screens with larger inputs are necessary. People's fingers don't give you as an exact an input as a mouse click so take that into consideration. Also we were designing for the shop floor, so people might have had gloves on, further making the problem worse. These ergonomic issues are the most important to consider.

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas for the reply and your important inputs.

Now at least i have some points with me to make a decision, but i will keep this thread still alive and active so that if anyone have more inputs then all are welcome.

Regards,

Ameya

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can anyone give me link to any document that discribes use of Touch screen and SAP application? a white paper or any project learning that is contributed to SDN?

Regards,

Ameya

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

a touch screen replaces a mouse.

so, you don`t care which application runs on the screen!

so, no need of white papers on using SAP on a touch screen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

http://www.sapdesignguild.org/resources/TSDesignGL/ quite old link...might help.

chck pdf.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I got to see this link while I was searching to find If I need to code the screens in webdynpro or just ECC screens will suffice for the similar requirement.

Can you please let me know if webdynpro is necessary, if so why is that?

PS: The transactions that we are going to develope are going to be accessed from fixed terminals in production.

Thanks & Regards,

Kalyan Venigalla

Edited by: Kalyan Mohan Venigalla on Dec 14, 2009 5:09 PM

aldine_mina
Discoverer
0 Kudos

We are using SAP ECC 6.0 in MM module (MB1A) we will use barcode reader to get the material number from the item but we no longer want the user to click the mouse over the material number field but instead he can just touch the material number field on screen is HP touch smart IQ507 good pick? While reading this forum my doubts was cleared if it will work, that touching the screen is like clicking the mouse and it doesnt need any extra coding or upgrades to our SAP

David
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Ameya,

To my knowledge, there is no such thing at this time except perhaps as a one off somewhere. Even then, I would suspect that this would be a machine language thing implemented at the driver level so that the PC connected to the touch screen would see it as just another input device. There was another discussion where someone asked if SAP had a POS interface used at some of it's retail clients such as Home Depot and it turned out that SAP does not have one. Third party products are used. This is the same as was the status about 9 years ago when I worked in the retail sector for SAP. We used certain IDOC structures to import and export data from R/3 for POS systems.

Best Regards,

David

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks David for your valuable input. But if could tell me if we could at all achieve this kind of a thing? i mean making my WD or portal app to work with a touch screen?What i could think of this requirement is, all of the touchscreens that we have basically work like a mouse. Once the software driver for the touchscreen is installed, the touchscreen emulates mouse functions. Touching the screen is basically the same as clicking your mouse at the same point at the screen. When you touch the touchscreen, the mouse cursor will move to that point and make a mouse click.So it should not matter if aplication is of portal or a webdynpro, it should work properly with SAP application.

Any input on this will be very much helpfull, kindly pour in with.

Regards,

Ameya

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As far as I know there are also touchscreens with keyboard functionality, where an onscreen keyboard can be called to enter letters, numbers and other keystrokes or keystroke combinations. For your application there shouldn't be any difference between this and a traditional mouse/keyboard combination.