cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Export DataSources always 3.x format? Can they be migrated to 7.0 DTP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am extracting for a BW Export DataSource into a cube. It seems that when you generate an Export DataSource, the DataSource in 3.x format.

I first created the ETL using the 3.x scenario.

i.e Export DataSource->Transfer Rules->InfoSource->Update Rules->Cube

I then wanted to move the DTP for improved efficiency and so created a new 7.0 InfoSource and built the 7.0 scenario

i.e Export DataSource->Transformation->7.0 InfoSource->Transformation->Cube and all works well.

I'm now trying to remove the 3.x scenario, but it causing problems because the Export DataSource remains 3.x.

If I try to delete the 3.x DataSource, it wants to remove dependent objects (which are both 3.x & 7.0 scenarios).

If try and migrate the 3.x DataSource to 7.0 (Rightclick: Migrate), it gives me an Error Message no. RSDS163 - Export DataSource 8AUEQUIPMTM(CBW230ALE) in myself system: Object type RSDS not possible

I can't find anything on OSS, but I suspect Export DataSources are not supported in the 7.0 format as yet.

As such, I am required to leave 3.x scenario intact to process the 7.0 scenario.

This isn't a great problem, but it is a little messy and confusing for the person administering the loads.

Can anyone tell me if it possible to make an Export DataSource into 7.0 DataSource?

Many thanks

Adrian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adrian,

you don't need export data sources in BI 7.0 any more. If you wan't to load data from one cube to another just create an transformation between these two cubes and a DTP for that transformation. Of course you can also put some infosources in that dataflow additionally, if you wan't.

Hope it helps.

Bye

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Frank - that's sorted it. I was actually loading from an InfoObject into a Cube. It seems that BI transformations can also be performed directly from an InfoObject.

Regards

Adrian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

when needed, you can indeed convert datasources from v3.5 to V7, and back, using transaction RSDS. Choose "with export". This "saves" the "other" version, and so it can be "restored" afterwards via RSDS again.

This is also true after DS replication from a sourcesystem, when the system asks whether you want the new replicated DS to be 3.X or V7. Either you choose, you can convert afterwards if needed.

Regards

hugo vandenabeele

senior BW consultant

martin_lehmann4
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Adrian,

I've found one exception from the rule "you don't need no export datasources anymore", i.e. when it comes to extract hierarchies, see discussion

Regards, Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adrian,

another exception from the above 'rule' might be a dataflow from one BW-system to another...

Best regards,

Mathias.

Answers (0)