cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal error occured while parsing heap dump.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a huge heap dump .hprof file (800 MB) in size and I tried to open it with memory analyzer in Eclipse. After parsing the file till 4%, I get internal error occurred. Java heap space. My system has 2GB memory. Below is the command I used to launch eclipse. Can someone help me with this ? Many thanks for your time.

C:\eclipse\eclipse.exe -vmargs -Xms512M -Xmx512M -XX:PermSize=256M -XX:MaxPermSize=256M

I have JRE 1.6.0_05-b13 installed on the system.

Thanks,

Hari

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

krumts
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Hari,

I would recommend that you first try to give more memory to eclipse and see if this helps. Try with 1200m for example.

I can't give you a precise estimation how much memory will be needed, as the limiting factor is the number of objects in the heap dump (not the size of the file). This number varies from case to case. In 800mb you may have only a few huge objects, but it may also happen that there are more than 20.000.000 of very small objects.

So, please try with more memory, and let me know if you still encounter the problem.

Regards,

Krum

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the response.

Yes. I did try with 1024 and 1200. But the JVM terminates with exit code 1 and eclipse wont start.

regards,

Hari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Surprisingly, I was able to open this file with standalone Memory Analyzer. So this problem might be with Eclipse plugin version.

regards,

Hari

former_member197208
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

not necessarily. If the parsing fails during the calculation of the Dominator Tree, you can still open the heap dump the next time. This is done in purpose (though not intuitive) because the DomTree is the last and one of the expensive steps during the parsing. However, you are missing some functionality like the tree. You can do some heap walking that nevertheless can be helpful..

- Andreas.