cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit Infocubes per Multiprovider...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Is there a limit on Infocubes per multiprovider?

thx in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess i can still put more Infoproviders in a single Multiprovider, as long as I am sure to not query more than 10 at a time and having not too many users on the server...

In our case we have 2 Infoproviders per Year (Order, Invoice) and most Queries compare 2 years, some 3 years.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use the Structure Specific settings for each InfoCube to set a fixed value for the year. MultiProvider queries evaluate this fixed value setting and then only query the InfoCubes that hold the relevant data.

Depending on the size of your server and number of users, you may need to control how many queries get launched in parallel (concurrently) to avoid overloading the server. You can set the query to not run in parallel, and in the most recent SP or two, thought I saw a setting to control the max nbr of processes a MP query could lauch.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Where can I set the fixed value for the year?

Did't find anything, sry.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is no specific palce to Fix value. But we will design the Base cubes to hold the records to specific year's data respectively. So that we will restrict the info providers in the query designer , if any report needs to display only specific years' data.

With rgds,

Anil Kumar Sharma .P

Kindly assign the points to help ful answers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What ist this for:

RSA1 --> InfoProvider --> rightklick on the Infocube --> Change --> time characteristics --> doubleklick on 0CALYEAR --> there is a constant

that I can fill with a year (2005, ...)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This constant setting may be the same thing, just another place to edit it.

What I was talking about, when you are in InfoProvider Change mode, go to Extras on Menu, then select Structur-Specific InfoObject Properties.

From the Help

<i>Structure-Specific Properties of the InfoObject

Using Extras in the main menu, you can assign InfoObjects specific properties that are valid only in the InfoCube you are currently processing.

These settings correspond for the most part to the settings that you can make globally for an InfoObject. For characteristics, these are Display, Text Type, Selection and Filter Value Selection upon Query Execution. See also the corresponding section in Tab Page: Business Explorer.

You are also able to specify constants for characteristics:

A fixed value is assigned to a characteristic when you assign a constant. This means that the characteristic is available on the database (for verifications, for example) but is no longer displayed in the query (no aggregation / drilldown is possible for this characteristic).

It is particularly useful to assign constants for compound characteristics.

Example 1:

The storage location characteristic is compounded with the plant characteristic. If only one plant is ever run within the application, you can assign a constant to the plant. The verification for the storage-location master table runs correctly with this value for the plant. In the query, however, only the storage location appears as a characteristic.

Example 2:

For an InfoProvider, you make the setting that only the constant 2005 appears for the year. <b>In a query on a MultiProvider that contains this InfoProvider, the InfoProvider is disregarded if the selection is for year 2004. Query performance is improved in this way as the system knows from the outset that it does not have to search for any records.</b></i>

Here's the link this is from.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/80/1a644ce07211d2acb80000e829fbfe/content.htm

So if you have 5 cubes in your MP, one for each year 2001 - 2005, without this Constant setting, the BW OLAP query will spawn 5 queries, one against each cube even though the user requested only data for 2005. With the Constant setting on each cube, BW is smart enough to supporess the unneeded queries against the 2001-2004 cubes.

Message was edited by: Pizzaman

To Anil's point, using the constant value approach eliminates the need to do any restrictions in the query on InfoProvider.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Pizzaman. Exactly what i was looking for.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thx pizzaman 😆

The constant setting was talking about ist for all Infocubes, not just for a specific.

Everything ist working fine so far, I just have to wait for my Cubes to be filled to have a performance comparison.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

does anyone know if there have been improvements from SAP?

Thanks,

Mario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Single year queries are running fine and fast now.

But I still have a problem with queries comparing two years (eg 2002, 2003) querying 2002, 2003 and 2004...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

AS it is mentioned in the note 728017, you have to follw the Global restriction in those queries. Other wise, the Query unnecessarly , Looks in to all Sub cubes,than loking in the cubes which holds the data of your selected years.

I hope, you are restricting the KF with year to dispay the sales of that year.So note is saying , in this case, the restriction becomes not a global restriction.

Lets assume you are using one variable (user entry and with offset) on year to use it in the restriction. You have to include that variables (with offset) in filter area of query also.Then it becomes Global filteration.

With rgds,

Anil Kumar Sharma .P

Former Member
0 Kudos

thx for your answer,

I've found the answer in OSSnote 629541

in which SAP recommends "that the number of base InfoProviders of a Multiprovider is not more than 10."

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Even I too have seen the following information from one of SAP Document:

<i>As a general rule of thumb, we recommend up to 10 Sub-InfoProviders, that are assigned to a MultiProvider and that are accessed simultaneously for one query; if you use more than this, the overhead in combining results might get too big. (Of course, depending on system resources and configuration, more than 10 Sub-InfoProviders can still result in good performance).</i>

With rgds,

Anil Kumar Sharma .P

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Torsten,

I dis not find any limit on the number of Cubes for a multiprovider. Though you would not find more than 15 cubes(max) per multiprovider because of performance issues in reporting.

Bye

Dinesh