Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link SAP DMS to Content Server

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Im user in SDN community, i saw you responding some question about SAP DMS, i have the following scenario :

1.- I use SAP DMS in this moment and attach files from the server file.

2.- Actually i have KM in the company, here have many document for common use to the company. for instance quality control specification documents.

I need link SAP DMS to KM (Content Server), How can i attach files content in km to SAP DMS from transactions CV01N and CV02N. What´s customizing activitys i need apply?

Best Regards,

Jhonny Mogollón

Consultor SAP

Infogesa

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Jhonny,

in the standard of transaction CV01N or CV02N you see the original area at the bottom tab ‘Document Data’ or you can navigate directly to tab ‘Originals’. Both times you find the same small icons. To add an original you can use whether the ‘CREATE’(white sheet) or ‘OPEN’ button. If you choose CREATE a pop-up window appears where you can enter all original related data (workstation application, description, …). In the path field you can enter the path to the original manually or you can browse for it using the F4 help. Since you select the correct file on your PC or Server please press OK and the path will be entered in the pop-up field automatically.

After you entered all this data and confirm you will return to the CV01N or CV02N screen and see that the original file is added. However the displayed lock sign is still open which means that the original is not checked in at the moment. Please use the small green CHECKIN icon and select a suitable storage category on the next screen. After confirming your selection and saving the document the original is checked in correctly.

Regarding the customizing I would kindly ask you to check the following settings:

1. Storage category:

Please check if a storage category is maintained in your system. I would recommend you to use the Content Server (KPRO) storage type. Therefore please go to transaction DC10 and choose the

relevant document type. Display its details and you will find a flag called ‘Use KPRO’. Please flag it to use the KPRO storage type which is recommended by SAP. You can manage your storage categories and KPRO settings by transaction CSADMIN.

2. Workstation Application:

To store originals in DMS it is necessary to have some workstation applications defined in transaction DC30. These applications are necessary to handle originals correctly. Please maintain a workstation application for each file format to avoid problems in the future. For all further information please see the blue information button in transaction DC30.

Best regards,

Christoph

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Chistoph,

Thank you so much for you advance, I send a example the path where the files are storing in content server (KM) in my company:

http://portal.netpolar.com/irj/go/km/docs/documents/public%20documents/manual%20registro%20de%20fact..., based on this information, How Can i customize in SAP the Storage category and Workstation application in this real case?.

Best Regards,

Jhonny Mogollón

Consultor SAP

Infogesa

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear Jhonny,

thanks for the sample information. So there are two possibilities to add the originals to DMS documents in CV01N or CV02N.

The first possible way would be to download the files to your local PC and add them to a document info record in CV01N or CV02N manually. In this case the newly attached originals need to be checked in to a storage category and workstation application DOC needs to be maintained in transaction DC30. Regarding this customizing please see also the following link: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/plm/2.Customizing%28CA-DMS-EAI%29

The second way would be to just add this link to the document info record. In this case please see the necessary settings information under the following link:https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/plm/ca-dms-LinkingURLpagestoDocuments

For the second solution it is not necessary to check the originals into a storage category as they are already stored on another server. So this would be the easier way to move your documents to DMS.

Best regards,

Christoph

P.S.: Please reward points for useful information.

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jhonny,

please do the customer as mentioned on the WIKI page. As the whole link means to be a URL it doesn't matter what kind of file format it is.

As I told you before the other possibility would be to download the originals from your current server and add it manually to DMS in transaction CV01N or CV02N.

Best regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey christoph.

My scenario is also similar too what is being discussed in this thread. I am just wondering if there is any programatical approach for creating DIR's for the documents sitting in KM. We are assuming that there would be an ADMIn Guy who would be transferring the documents sitting in KM to DMS creating DIR'S

at this time. What do you think our direction should be to meet this requirement as manually creating DIR's shall not be the route we want to take now. Please throw some light on this issue.

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

Your postings are helpful for us.

Could you please suggest that

Is it possible to Upload indexed records to DMS system in SAP?

and also i have searched and find related solution as

indexing solution for the scanned records in CSV format.  Is there a way we can use this solution to upload the records in  SAP.

Please suggest on this at earliest.

Thanks,

Bharath.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

Your postings are helpful for us.

Could you please suggest that

Is it possible to Upload indexed records to DMS system in SAP?

and also i have searched and find related solution as

indexing solution for the scanned records in CSV format.  Is there a way we can use this solution to upload the records in  SAP.

Please suggest on this at earliest.

Thanks,

Bharath.

former_member204787
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bharath,

Did you customize your workstation application format to  CSV  in DC30 and let me know.

Thanks,

chandu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Chandu,

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah we have customized but i want to know whether we can create indexes for scanned

documents in EXCEL(.csv) format and upload this csv file into DMS.

Please provide any guide information on market place to achieve this.

Kindly share if any documentation along with you on this.

Thanks,

Bharath.

former_member204787
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bharath,

I didnt work on scanned document in EXCEL format . But you can try converting EXCEL to PDF by writing SQl queries . For this you have to choose secondary indexes by calling functional module . Excel file will occupies more space in database so better to go for PDF format.

If any wrong with comment please ignore.

Thanks,

chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Christoph

I see you an expert in DMS, would please take a look at this thread?

Best Regards

Jimmy

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member

Hi christopher please check this post

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3312106

Hi guys,

I am in using the BAPI BAPI_DOCUMENT_CREATE2 for Data Migration.

Consider 2 Systems Source - S Target - T and Document Number D1

1. First i am using BAPI BAPI_DOCUMENT_GETDETAIL2 in Source System S to exract Data of Document Number D1.
    in the Table T_DOCUMENTFILES i get the details of all the attached orignals. The Orignals are checked in.
  2. Now i use BAPI_DOCUMENT_CREATE2 Destination T and pass the values i get from the GETDETAIL2 FM to create the same document in Target System T.

Now the Problem.

Suppose i am creating Document D1 on my system and checking it in it stores the orignal path as my system path for the file. This does not matter if i am opening the document from anyother system. But when i am using the CREATE FUNCTION MODULE it does not consider it to be checed in and it checks the DOCFILE variable of table T_DOCUMENTFILES and picks the file from there.

The error message i am getting is unable to check in FIle "\\................................"" this is the same value stored in t_documentfiles-DOCFILE

This is not what i want.

My purpose is to pick any document number and migrate its attached files picking the path from the Storage Category.

Any help would be grateful

Thanks and Regards.

Devrath Sampat

antonette_oberholster
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hallo

Did you manage to find a solution to this?

Regards

Antonette

Former Member

Hi Christoph,

i see you an expert in DMS, Please i have an issue in replacing the original document template(Microsoft word).

1 ) how do i find the exact physical path of existing template inorder to replace it?

2) i have modified the source file in Define template for original file under Define workstation application for the proper document type and application.

but when i try to create a new document using CV01N the new template is not reflecting.

Please help me in this regard. i think i am doing somestep wrong.

Please guide me.

Thanks in advance,

Sud

Former Member

Hi Christoph,

I see you replied to many of the DMS questions. You seems to be expert in DMS.

I am new to this area.

Could you please provide me a guide for configuring DMS ? We already have content server.

Thank You in Advance.

Bharat

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Bharat,

generally you will find all the necessary customizing information in the SAP Online Documentation under http://help.sap.com. Further you can have a look at the DMS WIKI pages under https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/plm/sapDocumentManagement+%28CA-DMS%29

There you should find all the informations you need to configure your DMS system.

Best regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your information.

I appreciate that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hhey hi Christopher,

I am an ABAPer and have to work on the document management system. I have studied and understood most of the configurations of the DMS system . The only thing which i have failed to understand is how to link a storage category to a document type . If you have more info on Storage Categories and Data Carriers please share.

any help would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Devrath

ali_eshaghibeni
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Christoph

I have different scenario , is there any possibility to link uploaded documents to objects in LSO?

Clarification:

I created an object(book) for learning material (pdf file) of learning courses, it is not possible to link the uploaded Doc from CV01N to those objects from HR or better to say LSO.

I already read some docs about CMS and Kpro, but i`m wondering if there is any other way to link doc to LSO directly from DMS.

Do you have any recommendation for my scenario?

Regards,

ali_eshaghibeni
Participant
0 Kudos

My Problem Solved by Creating an object link to my object as a learning material for LSO.

0 Kudos

prefer make server document management server (DMS) separated or in server production & if prefer separted we needed specifaction vmare