Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access local security file USR0008

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: DynamicDuo

CA Forum: Older Products

Hi! I've searched the forum and can not find anything on this error message so I hope I have posted in the right place.

We use Business Objects version 5.0 where I work and in the last week the system has fell over two times.

The error message that all our users get is "Cannot access local security file" with an error code of "USR0008".

On both occasions the only way we have been able to get it back up and running is to reboot the server that is connects to. The server in question also runs our Blackberry Mobiles so rebooting it all the time runs the risk of messing them up as well!

Can anyone tell me what services Business Objects 5.0 uses as all that really happens when we reboot a server/computer is that it stops and starts all the services running on that machine and disconnects and then reconnects to the network?

Has anyone had this problem before, if so what did you end up doing to resolve it?

I'm just concerned that it has fallen over 2 times in the last week and that it will do it again in the next couple of days so I want to try and work out what is going on to prevent it from happening again.

Many thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please test the following solutions?

Solution1:

Set the LSI registry key to point to your LSI folder.

HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\Software\Business Objects\Suite 6.0\default\Shared\General\Directories\lsi.

After making this change we make a backup of the registry folder to your desktop for future use if re-installing overwrites the keys.

Solution2:

You tried to launch a BusinessObjects program but it could not access the security file. The security (.lsi) file stores information used by the product to manage repository and database connections.

You must have read and write access to the lsi file, because data is written to it every time you log in.

By default, the file is located in: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Business Objects\Business Objects 6.0\lsi

Action Check the following:

o That the security file is present.

o If this file is available in the correct folder, then it may be corrupted.

BusinessObjects automatically installs a backup file (.bak).

You can use this file to replace a corrupted security file. It is located in the same folder as the original file.

o You have write access to the lsi folder or file.

Solution3:

The server which hosts the repository is down or the network connection is not working.

Action Verify the network connection by "pinging" the server. If the network is running properly, the database Administrator should then use database middleware (such as Net8 for Oracle) to check if there is any response from the repository database.

Regards,

Sarbhjeet Kaur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

check whether the .lsi file is present in the correct directory. also try to replace the existing files with the .lsi with the .bak file defaultly installed by the BO.

try to use the middle ware to check if the response from the repos. is fine.

Rgds,

Ramesh