cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SimSun Font

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sir

I have a problem regarding simsun chinese font display in the PDF report generated by JRC

I use Crystal Report to prepare a rpt file and in which I change some chinese words to use Simsun font, which is provided in the font selection pull-down menu.

I use the preview function in Crystal report, it displays fine.

However, once I pass the rpt file to JRC component to generate the PDF, all chinese wording becomes funny characters. They look like chinese but not correct.

Please help

Kit

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do incorrect glyphs (character images) appear? Or do the characters appear as empty boxes? Or as random ASCII text?

The PDF export from the JRC support only limited charsets - WinANSI and the CJK language pack from Adobe (but no extensions such as Thai).

It may be that your fonts use a different encoding that can't be mapped - I'm assuming SimSun uses an encoding like GBK.

What happens if you try using Arial Unicode font? Do the correct characters then appear? This would indicate issues with charset encoding translation.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sir

The characters appear NOT BLANK and NOT ASCII, but weired chinese characters which you cannot recognise what the chinese word is.

I have tried using the other font such as MingLiu, it works properly

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think that narrows the problem down.

Looking up the fonts, SimSun uses GBK encoding to map character to glyph, while MingLiu uses Unicode.

So a likely explanation would be that the JRC PDF engine is mapping SimSun fonts using the wrong charset map.

The current JRC PDF export has limited support for different encodings.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sir

So you mean the JRC doesn't support GBK encoding, rite ?

Or JRC would have some component which I can set the encoding to GBK ?

Thx

Kit-Man

Former Member
0 Kudos

The character encoding limitation is specific to the PDF export.

The PDF export engine is revamped for the next version of Crystal Reports for Eclipse, which has just recently gone Alpha (so it's for testing purposes only, not production):

http://diamond.businessobjects.com/node/19218

You might test the report, in fact, in the Crystal Report Viewer XI (offline viewer), available here:

http://www.businessobjects.com/product/catalog/crystalreports_viewer/

Save the report with data, and try viewing it in the Crystal Report Viewer XI, then export to PDF. The Viewer uses version 11.9.* of the JRC (CR4E v1 uses 11.8.*). If the PDF export displays incorrect fonts, if you click Help -> General Feedback... then you can send a bug report to BusinessObjects.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Answers (0)