cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXA_NO_FREE_SPACE error while local client copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

As i have installed SANDBOX system (ECC6.0 non ides on oracle and windows) in which i am performing a local client copy.

Now while performing the copy through SAP* it gets stuck and when i checkd in ST22 it shows an error of "PXA_NO_FREE_SPACE"

Has somebody encountered this error before, i would be really grateful if you can put forth your suggestions on this..

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

check profile parameter abap/buffersize

Note 147568 - PXA_NO_FREE_SPACE

also check Note 103747 - Performance: Parameter recommendations as of Release 4.0

Note 88416 - Zero administration memory management as of 4.0A/ Windows

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

My current "abap/buffersize" is 146 MB,

What according to you i shuld keep it as.... i mean can i increase it to 500MB, would that solve the problem.

Need ur suggestions

Regards

Ayush

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

try to increase step by step, first 250 MB, 300 , 350 etc...

This approach will provide the best balance between size of PXA buffer and other SHM segments.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

did you check

Note 103747 - Performance: Parameter recommendations as of Release 4.0

Take note of the "swaps" for this purpose in the program buffer in transaction ST02. A few thousand swaps can be tolerated each day, but if you find more than 10000 swaps per day, you should enlarge the buffer

you can start with 250 MB as Mr. Yaroslav Zorenko suggested.

When you enlarge your program buffer (abap/buffersize), problems may occur in the memory management

and you are getting dump PXA_NO_SHARED_MEMORY

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

I appreciate your suggestions Mr. Yaroslav and Mr. kaushal, and have also implemented it.

Also as i was going through Note 103747 - Performance: Parameter recommendations as of Release 4.0

Theres one paragraph which has left me confused, I would be very thankful if you takeout few minutes and explain it wht is it trying to convey about em/address_space_MB (para shown below)

When you enlarge your program buffer (abap/buffersize), problems may occur in the memory management:

Windows NT: PXA_NO_SHARED_MEMORY caused by the address space being fragmented. Incorrect basis addresses of the NT system DLLs fragment the address space of the work processes. It may not be possible to create the large, related shared memory segments (PXA, extended memory and so on) because the available free address space is fragmented by this DLLs. This leads to a start with the NOT-PXA buffer of 4 MB. As a workaround, the parameter em/address_space_MB can be reduced to 250 MByte (also refer to Note 129813).

Now in above mentioned para it says reduce the em/address_space_MB, wouldnt it affect the performance of the system as i think reducing the size would dramatically show some negative outcomes.

Waiting for your suggestions..

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Windows 32bit has some DLLs with start addresses that are in the "middle" of the memory that is being allocated during startup. If that parameter is set too high, the system may fail to start since it can´t allocate the memory contiguously because of those DLLs.

For an in-depth explanation read note

129813 - Windows: Problems due to address space fragmentation

In case that error occurs, you can "rebase" the DLLs but most of them are covered by the Windows Filesystem Protection. See

Note 664607 - Hot Fixes or patch sets with fragmenting DLLs

Note 664269 - Rebasing DLLs under WFP

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The size of the address space for a process under 32 bit NT is 2 GB.

Code + Rollarea + Total(Buffers) + em/address_space_MB < 2 GB.

approx 100MB + 10MB + Total(Buffers) + em/address_space_MB should be less then 2 GB.

em/address_space_MB have default value 512 .

if you are getting problem with address space then

activate the '3GB' option, as described in Note 110172. This may solve your problem completely. ( on 32 bit

windows)

how much RAM you are using on your server?

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

markus: thanks for your valuable suggestions

Kaushal: I am currently using 2GB of Total RAM, and at the time of installation i have allocated 1GB to shared_pool_size as the import monitor jobs were getting failed during installation (so increased the default size of shared_pool_size to 1 GB)

in your last post you have shown couple of calculations which seem to be quite good, can i use those as a standard in every scenario.

Regards

Aayush

Edited by: ayush johri on Jun 10, 2008 4:24 PM

Edited by: ayush johri on Jun 10, 2008 4:25 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1GB to shared_pool_size as the import monitor jobs were getting failed during installation (so increased the default size of shared_pool_size to 1 GB)

-> you should decrease it to 400 MB. ( you have only 2 GB of RAM.)

.....can i use those as a standard in every scenario

-> execute st02 and looking for swaps according to that you need to change the parameter value.

i already suggested you few notes for performance you can take that notes as reference.

I suggest you to activate the '3GB' option, as described in Note 110172

in general you can check note Note 948066 - Performance Analysis: Transactions to use.

SAP recommended to use 64 bit windows OS and 64 bit kernel.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

current program has been terminated coz there is no space to load it.

program size - 5.7gb pxa size 145 mb

how can i change the pxa...

my sys configuration is

desktop 1.8ghz dual core

1gb ram

HD- 240gb (20+117 sap + 44+52)

Regards

Alok

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Check the profile using command

sappfpar check pf=<profile path>/<instance profile name>

It would give you the problems and recommentations for that.