cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deactivate Portal server node from Web dispatcher, but still keep online

jonathon_sells3
Participant
0 Kudos

We want to deactivate a Portal server node from the Web dispatcher. We also need to connect directly to the specific node.

We configured the Server Node using Config Tool --> Server_ID####### --> Debug --> Debuggable --> Restricted Load Balancing. The node is not available to the Web dispatcher, However we are unable to explicitly connect to that node. We get the error message in the browser:

503 Service Unavailable

SAP WebAS engine is starting...

If this state does not change within a few minutes,

please contact your system administrator.

Check the recommendations in SAP Notes: 943498, 764417

I have also read through the Web dispatcher online Help. They mention creating groups but they all seem to pertain to ABAP groups using SMLG. Our Web dispatcher is used in a strictly J2EE environment.

There must be a Profile setting or some config to restrict specified nodes... Let me know if you have found out?

Thank You,

Jon Sells

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

jonathon_sells3
Participant
0 Kudos

Just closing the message.

pr_srinivas
Contributor
0 Kudos

Web Dispatches connects to message server of Java System and Java System's message server hand overs the request to available dispatches of the cluster.

I believe WEB Dispatcher role ends when it hand overs the request to message server. Web Dispatcher can not influence the request pass on till serve node . like from Message Server --> Dispatcher --> server node XX.

If you see any malfunction on server node, we can shut down it from "JCMON". .

But very much interested to know which situations are influencing you to to connect directly to the specific node.

Rgds

PR

jonathon_sells3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi PR,

Yes I understand that the Web Dispatchers Job ends at that point. That's why I want to stop the requests at the Web dispatcher by not allowing those nodes to be available.

Here is the situation. We have 3 Windows Servers with 10 Server Nodes spread accros them.

Host A - 2 Server Nodes, Central instance (Message Server) and SQL Server DB.

Host B - 4 Server Nodes.

Host C - 4 Server Nodes.

The Going Live Analysis suggested we move the DB off of the CI. We cannot do that at this time. What we can do is shut down the 2 nodes on Host A. Instead of shutting them down, we would rather remove them from the WD group. that way, our users never connect to the 2 nodes on the CI but Basis can still use them for Administration and those 2 nodes on the CI are never used for production purposes. Those nodes will just be used for monitoring and maintenance or even emergency purposes.

Right now our process to remove the 2 nodes from the Web dispatcher is to connect to the Admin page for Web Dispatcher --> Monitor Server Groups --> Right Click on the Host and select Deactivate. We have to do this whenever the Message Server is retarted. The million dollar question: How can that be set via a startup parameter?

Thanks

Jon Sells

Here is an example of how you can connect to a specific node:

https://<Host_name>.domain.local/b2b/b2b/init.do;sapj2ee_irj=7501753