cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying a dynamic image using a PDF file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to find a way to display an image dynamically in my report. The image happens to be .pdf I have Crystal Reports XI and I have the graphic location formula completed "
10.93.138.250\Production\ProdOut\00\" & {Order_Record.URN_text} + "_p1.pdf" however it tells me PDF is not supported. Is there a way around this?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's a good suggestion...you're right I can view (display) a pdf.

I've added an OLE object PDF and then applied conditions to graphic location condtions on the picture tab of the format graphic options. I've popluated with additional image locations but the PDF (OLE Object) does not refresh with the new image (PDF). Does the dynamic graphic locations not work with this method?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Carey,

One pdf-converter that I use is PDF-XChange viewer. I believe it is a free download. I have used that in combination with paint.net program to manipulate my pdf/images. Hope this helps somewhat.

Matt

alex_styles
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

The Dynamic Graphic Location will only be able to work with 'image' file types (Example: .JPG, .BMP and .TIFF) and if a formula is used to dynamically change the image according to a database value, the data will change as expected so the correct image is displayed.

If an image is used the Dynamic Graphic Location will work as expected however if a non-image file type such as .RTF, .PDF are used then this will not work within this formula editor since they are not Graphic files.

If you want to use the Dynamic Graphic Location, your .PDF files would need to be converted to a graphic file such as .JPG, .BMP etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have to agreed that what you are saying appears to be true from my attempts at getting .pdf files to work dynamically. Using .bmp and .jpg files seems to work just fine but not .pdf, .xls, or .doc.

In the Users Guide, in chapter 16, in the section titled "Working with static OLE objects" - it only talks about the picture type formats you mentioned and metafiles. Later in this section is where it explains how to make a static OLE object dynamic.

While it doesn't specifically say it won't work for other types - it sure doesn't seem to. I see no reason why this should be true however! Certainly Crystal appears to be set up to allow this and the fact that the objects are not images shouldn't matter. Why is there a picture tab and a conditional formula button next to the graphic location label on the object if it can't be used?

I'm trying to do something similiar to Carey. I have maps to customers in a customer list and they are in .pdf files. The location of the map is stored in the database. I'm putting together a report of service calls and I want to print the map with each call. It looks like I'll have to convert several thousand .pdf files to .jpg - that should be fun!

Any chance this limitation will be eliminated sometime soon...

Edited by: Randy Walter on Oct 2, 2008 6:40 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

has anyone come up with a solution to this issue? i was just in contact with SAP and they told me it is a microsoft issue that does not support dynamic pdf. i asked them to put in a request for the enhancement. i have a client that has thousands of documents in pdf format that will need to e converted to image format to load into crystal. the conversion would have to be multipage. for instance the first page is an invoice followed by multiple pages of documentation for that invoice.

i am testing a pdf converter software but when it exports from pdf to image format it is also exporting other images from the pdf. any ideas on other applications?

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP ...

1) why can't we use dynamic pdf, xls & doc files but can for image files?

2) Are you going to fix this issue/bug please?

3) Why do static pdfs only show the first page for multipe page pdfs?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do not believe this would be considered a bug. Rather this would be a feature that can be requested via the SAP Idea Place:

SAP Crystal Reports: Home

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Message was edited by: Ludek Uher

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mohammad,

Yes basically I'm conditionally controlling which image (PDF) would be displayed or not displayed in the report using a conditional hiding on the graphic.

The PDF file is what is output from our composing center...it will be difficult to convert these files to an image. These PDF's are being output very quickly so there is alot of them...I'm trying to avoid having to convert them.

I hope this answers your questions.

Carey

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Carey,

Thank You. I just had one idea and i tried it as well.

Click Insert->OLE Object->select Acrobat document.

I selected one PDF file which i viewed it in crystal reports.

Please try.

Regards

Usama

ted_ueda
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Carey,

You can try searching for 3rd party PDF-to-Image conversion utilities. I haven't used one in years, but I remember there were many to choose from. There were even command-line utilities that I recall I used to batch-process PDFs.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dynamic images...the image changes depending on the order them I am pulling information on. Does anyone know of any 3rd party application that would allow me to use a PDF as an image? The PDF I'm trying to display is a 'tear sheet' of an advertisement in a print publication so I can't convert it to a JPG, BMP or other image file. Let me know if anyone else has a suggestion. Thank you!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Carey,

I would like to know one thing

By 'The image changes' do you mean you will have different PDF files and based on the order of you pulling the info, a different PDF file is been shown??(using conditional hiding)

another thing is does it matter if you convert the PDF file to a picture image and then use it the way you want?

Because I do not understand what different will it bring when PDF file is used in to the Crystal reports directly!!!

REgards

Mohammad Usama

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Yes, PDF is not supported. please use jpeg, bmp, files. By the way, by dynamic image do you mean it is a a motion picture???

former_member260594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Carey,

You could convert it to a JPEG, TIFF, or PNG or insert into the database as a BLOB