cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Business Objects to SAS Data Set?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Has anyone ever been able to use a SAS data set as a data source for Business Objects?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've connected to a SAS datastore in Business Objects Data Services, and it's straightforward.

What you need is to set SAS up as an ODBC server.

This can be done in 2 ways:

- Using the SAS/SHARE product on any server that is accessible from BOBJ. This is quite pricey, so maybe you should only consider this if you have a SAS/SHARE license already, or your project can pay for it.

- Using an ordinary running SAS session on the same server.

You also need to install an ODBC driver on your BOBJ server, in order to access your SAS ODBC server.

You can read about SAS ODBC on SAS Institutes website. Start here:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/odbcdref/63284/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0pqrmjmkckqugn10...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Diana,

I am a long time user of SAS (6 years) and a short time user of Business Objects (3 years), and the answer to your question is no, you cannot directly access a SAS data set as a data source to Business Objects. The reason is that Business Objects, through the Designer tool, makes a connection via ODBC to its data. Thus, if you can create an ODBC connection on your server to the data, then Business Objects can tag along and life is good. A SAS data set, for all practical purposes, is a flat file that is not ODBC accessible. In my deployment, we like SAS and we like Business Objects, so we upload our SAS data to an ODBC-compliant database and then "plug and play", (plugging, in a round about way that is).

Thanks,

John

DeanFarrow
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi

You can connect to SAS datasets via Data Federator. Data Federator can connect to SAS/Share server v9.1.3 and higher using a JDBC driver.

You can then create a universe from the Data Federator virtual table and use any BOBJ reporting tool from this.

Hope that this helps

kind regards,

Dean