cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ClickOnce deployment in VS 2005 and CRXIR2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a problem attempting to ClickOnce deploy an application. I'm a first time user of any of the VS packages, so please don't assume that I know anything.

The CRXI R2 help for ClickOnce deployment says to choose Publishing prerequisites .Net Framework 2.0 and Crystal Reports for .Net Framework 2.0, but I can only see the first in the list. There is also a Crystal Reports XI Release 2 but this appears to install a full version of CRXIR2 which I don't want to do (and don't have licensing for, I assume). I can't find a download of the required name on the SAP site.

Can anyone enlighten as to the process of getting Crystal Reports for .Net Framework 2.0 onto the list of prerequisites?

Thanks,

Peter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jonathan,

I followed the instuctions in the article you linked me to and went back to publish the app. The Click Once deployment section of the help file that came with the CRXIR2 download tells me that I must select Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 2.0 in the prerequisites section. However, this item does not appear in the list of potential prerequisites so I can't include it. If I continue with the Click Once deployment I get the the following error when I run the deployed app and try to preview a report...

"An error has occurred while attempting to load the Crystal Reports runtime.

Either the Crystal Reports registry key permissions are insufficient or the Crystal Reports runtime is not installed correctly.

Please install the appropriate Crystal Reports redistributable (CRRedist*.msi) containg the correct version of the Crystal Reports runtime"

I assume this is happening because I have not included the CR redistributable in the publish prerequisites, but don't know how to do this. I assumed carrying out the instructions in the linked article would make the option magically(!) appear in the prerequisites dialog but alas, no.

So, I have 2 questions.

1. How do I get Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 2.0 into the deploy package?

2. Should I give up on the ClickOnce deploy and try creating a setup project with Windows Installer? Or will this just open another can of worms?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

The "Crystal Reports for .NET 2.0" prerequisite is meant for the version of Crystal Reports which comes bundled with VS2005 - that is, the assemblies versioned 10.2.x. The prerequisite for Crystal Reports XI R2 is called "Crystal Reports XI Release 2".

Which edition of Visual Studio are you using? The prerequisites should have been installed when Crystal Reports was installed. The fact that even the prerequisite for Crystal Reports for VS2005 isn't showing up is concerning... when you originally installed Visual Studio, did you include the Crystal Reports components? These should have been included before installing Crystal Reports XI R2 Developer edition on top.

You could create a regular setup package. It's not that difficult. In that case you would create a setup project and specify the location of the runtime package to be bundled in, among a few other things. The deployment guide should detail this process for you. As far as pros and cons go, they are the same as when comparing a traditional setup package and a ClickOnce deployment for any standard .NET project. For web projects we generally recommend putting the server install on the web server separate from project deployment.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you!

I can't remember whether I installed the Crystal Reports components when I originally installed VS 2005. I assumed I had all I needed when the Crystal Reports Viewer and ReportDocument controls came up in the VS toolbox (?)

I had noticed the Crystal Reports XI Release 2 prerequisite in the list but was driven by the help file that came with the CRXIR2 download. The section in which the

Crystal Reports for .Net

prerequisite is referred to is entitled

Deployment in Crystal Reports XI R2 - Deployment in Visual Studio 2005 - ClickOnce Deployment - Setting the ClickOnce Deployment Properties

Perhaps a word to the documenters to have them update this section?

While I can now run the report on the deployed app I have one further problem. The report I'm running has a text box configured to be interpreted as HTML text. On my development machine it is properly interpreted, but on the deployed app, the HTML itself is displayed in the text box, ie it is not interpreted as HTML.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I need to do to enable the HTML interpretation? I assume it is something else I need to deploy and would welcome any advice, as always. Alternatively, could it be something to do with the VS 2005 install (re first para above)?

I'd just like to say that forums (fora?) like these are an absolute lifeline for relatively isolated programmers like myself. All the forum contributors are greatly appreciated!

Former Member
0 Kudos

You'll get much better visibility for that question if you make a new thread about it.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

please also use this link to a docu regarding needed files for .NET deployment :

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100005853302008E/cr_net_2005_mm_readme.pdf

Please download the needed files from

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/businessobjects-downloads

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Falk,

Unfortunately the first link seems to be a list of fixes in the CR XI R2 SP2, none of which seem to relate to ClickOnce deployment, so it's of no help to me. The download link was useful. I assume I need the CR XI Release 2 Net Merge Modules. But my problem is that I'm not sure what to do with them to use them in Click Once deployment. There seems to be no way to simply incorporate files needed into the Publish pre-requisites list so they get deployed. The documentation, as I said in my original post, just says to include Crystal Reports for .Net Framework 2.0, but gives no indication as to how to get it on the list if it's not there. I imagine this is really simple but I am having serious trouble with it.

Can you be of any more help please?

Thanks,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Peter;

Please see the following article:

[Deployment|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/oss_notes/sdn_oss_boj_erq/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/scn_bosap/notes%7B6163636573733d36393736354636443646363436353344333933393338323636393736354637333631373036453646373436353733354636453735364436323635373233443330333033303331333233303336333133313332%7D.do]

The actual server install can be found here:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006255412008E/crxir2sp3_server_install.zip

Regards,

Jonathan