cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Crystal Report Viewer is unable to create its resource objects"

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using Crystal Reports Server XI and getting the error/pop up box: "Crystal Report Viewer is unable to create its resource objects" when trying to view a report through the website.

Any suggestions would be appreiciated. I'm very unfamiliar with Crystal Reports but it's fallen into my lap to install and suppor this application.

I have tried changing some browser settings to allow ActiveX content and such but that hasn't seemed to help. I also tried downloading a particular 3 .dll's files to my desktop and registering them, as well as re-registering them on the server. They were CRVIEWER.dll, swebrs.dll, sviewhlp.dll.

I'm using IE 7.0 and CR Server XI is installed in a Windows 2003 R2 SE server. IIS seems to be setup OK. I haven't changed any of the default installation settings that were configured during the installation on the virtual directory that was created. I received no errors during the installation. I'm also not seeing anything obvious pop up in the event logs. I still have yet to do a log parser query looking for anything that says crystal reports.

Thanks!

Edited by: Wendy Beatty on Sep 23, 2008 9:50 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member230846
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Wendy,

How are you accessing the reports, via the default InfoView or through a custom application?

Are you able to view a report from within the CMC using the Active X viewer?

Was this working before but broke all of a sudden?

Is CRServer installed to the default website or another website? Please verify the crystalreportsviewers11 virtual directory exists under your website.

Regards,

Wallie

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are accessing the reports through a new 3rd Pary Application (that says the problem is not on their end..). It has never worked. we had these problems right off the bat.

The crystalreportsviewers11 virtual directory does exist on the default website, which is also where our 3rd party app is installed to.

If I log on to the server, go directly to where the *.rpt files are stored, and open one, then yes, they WILL open for me to edit/view, etc.

Thanks!

former_member230846
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Wendy,

This issue might be better addressed by our .NET development forum, however, some of the things that come to mind are:

1. As a test are you able download the Active X Viewer from the client machine by accessing it via a URL:

http:// <yourserver>/crystalreportviewers/ActiveXControls/ActiveXViewer.cab

Does it prompt you do download the .CAB file?

2. If you have more than one version of the Active X Viewer installed on the client machine, go through this SAP Note (1215398) from the Service Market Place to remove it.

3. Check your browser settings (Tools|Security|Custom Level) to make sure Active Controls are set to at least prompt.

4. Confirm with your network administrator if there are group policies that restrict the installation of Active X Controls or if users do not have the rights to install.

Regards,

Wallie

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Yes, I am prompted to download the .cab file and can do so successfully

2. I do not have more than one version installed.

3. They are sent to prompt.

4. Everything should be OK with this one also.

Thanks, again

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am having a similiar problem with the exact same error message. We recently installed .NET Version 3 Service Pack 1 and am wondering if this could have caused the problem?

The issue is occuring on more then one system and we do have rights to the System32 directory.

In fact, the only viewer that does work at the moment is the Advanced DHTML viewer.

Any ideas how we can restore functionality to the ActiveX viewer without removing the .NET Service Pack?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try this and it worked for me.

1. Goto IIS, select the virtual directory CrystalReportViewers115, properties, Configuration (In Virtual Directory Tab)

2. In App Mappings tab, find the extentions .CRI, .CSP, .CWR and .RPT and see what executable path they have. If they are blank, Press Edit.

3. Select the application path as "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll".

4. Repeat the above for all 4 extensions. Restart IIS.

5. Now when you try to open the ActiveX Report Viewer, it will prompt you to download the viewer without the error message.

Hope this helps.

Answers (0)