Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HR Data Migration Strategy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guys,

I worked in Data migration in the areas like SD,MM,FI. But I am new to HR. Can anybody please give me the HR data migration stratagey like what data's (eg, Master ,transactional etc) we need to load and sequences and methods available for each type?

Thanks

Kal

5 REPLIES 5

MarcinPciak
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Generally we have such approach:

Organizational data - sent with Idocs via ALE

Master data - delivered in flat files, loaded via LSMW (using pa30) - this includes all PA, PY, TM data

Acctually we receive via ALE also all PA data, but this is only due to fact that these are maintenaned in different SAP system.

Loading sequence should be determined by your functional team, independently for each area (PA, PY, TM).

Normally it should be logical like you won't load Absences (IT2001) before you set Employees quotas (IT2006). But for this rule there can also be an exception. Therefore as I said. It is always up to functional team what sequence it the appropriate.

I hope it will help you a bit.

Regards

Marcin

0 Kudos

Thanks Marcin. If possible can you provide me some documentation related to HR data conversions?

Thanks

Kalyan

0 Kudos

Hi chakri,

Documentation we use is Data Convertion Bueprint which is simply customer's requirements accroding to what infotypes he needs, what data should be migrated and which org. elements will be imported.

Another one is Master Template which is actually prepared by us (technical team). We prepare LSMW for each infotype mentioed in former document, then we document it in this master template to provide to customer required flat files format. We prepare such becuase sometimes some filed may be fixed, some added and even are read-only so should be skipped. So this document differs a bit with previous one in regards to infotypes' used fields. Than we sent this document to our local functional team which is resposible for providing files with given format.

In first document there are also some Golden rules, which describes exact steps for one entire cycle (staring from deliveirng the file, ending with validation of loaded data for one infotype), which each involed party should follow.

The last but not least important document is what we call Loading sequence. I already described it previously. It is just the order of loading the data to infotypes which you should follow. It also contains such information as

- number of records in provided file

- number of errors, successfully loaded records

- files which we share with functional team (error logs)

- finally files which we sent as validation data (extracted from system after successful load of infotype)

Unfortunatelly I can't provide you any of them as these are company documents which are not to be distributed. Sorry I am not allowed to break this rule.

Anyhow I hope it will give you an overview of what kind of documentation you need. It is of course of your team how you organize your work and documentation.

All in all crucial thing is communication between teams, which from my experiaence sometimes fails.

One more thing:

Always remeber to give points to usefull answers, that's how the forum works. Of course it is not obligatory !

Rememebr if you get something, you appreciate it by assigning points:)

Cheers

Marcin

former_member226519
Active Contributor

additionally to masterdata you will have to migrate the payroll account. this is done with tables T558A or (if offcycle) T558B / T558D and a special scheme for RPCALCx0.

import the masterdata infotype by infotype. this will accelerate the testing.

Exception: you will have to hire the EE's first. Create a hiring action called "technical hiring" or similar containing infotypes 0000, 0002, 0001 in this order. infotype 0003 will be created automatically. if you change the personnel number (PERNR) from legacy system to SAP include infotype 0032 in your hiring action and store the old PERNR in field PNALT.

be aware that there are losts of checks PAI within an infotype and cross infotypes. customizing must be completed!

Each infotype has a BEGDA (valid from) and ENDDA (valid to). there arte special rules (recommandations by SAP) for the BEGDA of infotypes. ask your HR consultant.

0 Kudos

Thanks Volker