cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Archive Link and DMS integration configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SAP Gurus,

I have always come across that SAP DMS is very well integrated with SAP Archive link, is that means SAP Archive link can be used as an storage location for storing original application files, in normal DMS check in original CV01N transaction.

does this Archive link appear as an option to be selected to store the original application file at CV01N Transaction, just like we get DMS_C1_ST (default SAP) or any ZDMS_SC01/02 (customised Storage catagories for checking in originals.)

another side iam also comming across SAP Archive link is an entierly different Module and involves different transactions to store documents and original.and no where related to DMS.

iam not able to draw at any conclusion weather to suggest Archive link as an storage medium for DMS check in originals, as i have not used it earlier in DMS.

Can this SAP Archive Link server be used as an sole and single original applicaion file storing system for DMS?

if so will it support all the DMS funtionalities, if not what is this fully integrated means, is it limited to make an copy / transfer of excess DMS files in SAP Archive server from existing DMS server? iam confused

please clarify.

Points awaiting for clarification.

Thanks and regards,

Shanti

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

ArchiveLink has different components, these include things like Document Archiving and Data Archiving.

DMS and ArchiveLink do integrate in a couple of ways...

1. You can store a document against a DIR with the GOS icon instead of in the originals area (called Document Archiving)

2. You can check a document into the archive using the Original - Check into Archive menu path option. This is often used to remove documents from the content server after a period of time when they are no longer accessed. I.e. When a document gets to version 05, you may opt to archive version 00.

3. Data archiving - You can archive an entire DIR along with any originals.

On a content server you can create more than one repository. I.e. a DMS and ArchiveLink repository. These are different logical areas on the server to store different kinds of documents, however, in these types of cases, you would generally only store DMS documents in the DMS repository, not an archivelink repository, UNLESS you intend using a SAP certified solution which may be a corporate standard. I.e. if the company has a corporate standard that all documents are store in Filenet or Documentum, then you would store your DMS documents using ArchiveLink.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Hill,

Thanks for your response,

but my confusion is not yet solved.

let me put it in a better way,

1) You can store a document against a DIR with the GOS icon instead of in the originals area (called Document Archiving), i did not understand this solution please eloborate. where is this GOS icon in DIR,

2) There is one thing in menu path: Environment / check in archive.

so can we store originals in a Archive server directly by going in to the CV01N transaction.(iam not speaking about transferring Original already stored in a content server)

3) we are having a single archive server to Archive SAP data, can This SAP Archive server be used as an sole and single original file storing system for DMS Also?

4) if so will it support all the DMS funtionalities, if not what is this fully integrated means, is it limited to make an copy / transfer of excess DMS files in SAP Archive server from existing DMS server? iam confused to suggest this solution, as the client is not kneen on buying a separate server to store DMS files.

please clarify.

Thanks and regards

Shanti

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. The GOS (Generic Object Services) icon is in the top left corner. Its the same place you make comments.

2. Environment - Check in Archive is correct (sorry, I didn't have a screen in front of me at the time)

3. Yes

4. It will support all dms functionalities if you create a separate DMS repository on the same machine and store using the KPRO tick.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Athol

could you please give me a hint how I would setup the system to store the GOS through Archieve Link in Documentum?

Regards,

Luca

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oac0 - Setup an ArchiveLink repository

Oac2 - Setup a document type

Oad5 - Setup a link between the document type and the transaction.

Storage is either from oawd or from the GOS icon using the store business document option

retrieval is from the attachment list in that transaction.