cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I copy a BW system to another for just development/configuration ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want a copy of a certain BW system - but only the structures, transformations etc. I want to avoid copying over data. My understanding is that this is not possible, but I wanted to check with the experts here to see what are my best options. The system I am copying from has a few TB of data, and has a lot of custom development - lots of DSOs, Cubes, info-objects etc. I need only about half the number of objects in the source system to be moved into the new system.

Options I have in mind are

1. Do a basis level copy, data included - and delete data in target system.

2. Do a regular transport by collecting objects from source to new system

3. Do an XML download of objects from source and upload in new system.

Are there other options? and if not - do you have any thoughts on which one of the above sounds best given my requirement.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it is possible to copy the systems over. If you copy without data, you can use a "save for system transport" transport (create it in the transport connection tab) and import that transport into your copy. This is one way Basis copies back a system from Production to Q or D.

I would definitely contact a Basis person to take on a project like this.

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Brian.

just so that I understand you correctly - what you mean to say is that

1. go to transport connections in admin workbench

2. Collect objects with some grouping

3. Choose "save for syst copy" option

4 then release and import in new system

did I get that right?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, except the grouping is save for system copy.

Also, when you import into the new system, you need the Source System Mappings (RSA1=>Tools=>Mapping of the Source System Names) for the old source system to your new one.

For example, if you are loading data out of source system PRD, and your new system will be mapped to DEV, then you need to map PRD to DEV in your new system. This will allow you to keep you transfer structures/rules and infopackages.

You may also need to transport your cubes and ODS objects/DSO's depending on how your system is copied.

Brian

Answers (0)