cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Precalculation Server Time Out.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

I have installed precalc service on one of our client machines that has Win XP as OS. There is no problem with the service as such.

It works fine. However if that service remains IDLE for a long time i.e. if I do not precalculate a workbook for say 3 hours or so,

the Precalcualtion server in transaction RSPRECADMIN shows status red, even after clicking on refresh the status doesnt change,

so I have to manually first restart the precalcualtion service (services.msc) and then refresh the Precalc server in TA RSPRECADMIN.

Can anyone tell me what is the so called "TIME OUT " for the precalculation service on Win XP.

if there is a way to restart the precalc service automatically?. I tried scheduling the execution of Precalc service,

but it gives me the following error

"Cannot start the service from command line or debugger. A windows service must first be installed (using installutil.exe) 
and then started with the server explorer, Windows service administrative tool or the NET START Command. "

I do not know how can I automatically refresh this service say every 2 hours. I know this question is not regarding SAP,

however I searched MicroSoft sites, tried finding the answer at different windows forums but in vain again.

I wouldn't want someone to come every morning and restart the precalc service.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem. Any help would really be appreciated.

Regards,

Sree.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

edwin_melendez
Explorer
0 Kudos

I don't think there is any "Time out" option that you can set in the Pre-calculation server.

Check the Event Viewer in the Precalc server machine (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer) and look for any event related to the SAP Precalculation service.

If you still want to automate the re-start of the service you can write a batch file (.bat) with the following commands:

NET STOP "SAP Prec-...."

NET START "SAP Prec-...."

Use the name of the service between quotation marks. Save the file and then schedule it using Control Panel > Scheduling Tasks in your Prec server.

Hope this helps,

Edwin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Edwin,

Thankyou so much. This is exactly what I needed. The NET STOP and the NET START command. You really have solved my problem. Thanks a lot again.

Regards,

Sree

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You need to restart the system once agian (in case of precalculation server showing red). Try to execute the reports in background. In foreground timed out error will come.

Regards

Pcrao.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi PCRao,

Thankyou for your response, however, we don't even need to restart the system. you just need to restart the Precalculation service manually and then restart the prec server in the transaction RSPRECADMIN. I wanna know whether there is any way with the help of which we can restart the service automatically rather than doing it manually. If you donot broadcast a workbook for a long time, the windows OS kind of doesn't really stop the service but deactivates it for a time being. so u need to restart the service manually.

I want to know if there is anyway with the help of which say for every 3 hours or so, this win service does automatically restart on its own. can we schedule something likewise. I wouldn't want to restart this service say every 4 or 5 hours.

thnkz anyways for ur answer

regards,

sree.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

its not possible man. I think its not server problem , you need to execute the workbooks in background. Better way is Use multiple servers if you want to execute more reports in background and select server choose method as automatic. Once check your reports, it will not take that much time to execute.Otherwise tell me your scenarios/ requirements.

Regards

Pcrao.