cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lov need to be refreshed automatically

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have report with 7 prompts (3 are optional) . Whenever we refresh the report all the prompts are displayed. Now requirement is when we click on any of the prompt in view mode, LOV list with updated Values need to be populated for the selected prompt.

I tried using "Automatic refresh before use" option still its not refreshing automatically after selecting any prompt. We still have to refresh the LOV list manually.

Can we do something for auto population of LOV?

I am working on BOXI 3.1, WEBI

Your help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

0 Kudos

--

Edited by: Dmytro Bukhantsov on Sep 17, 2009 3:11 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all your time GURUs

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are having same problem:

XI3.1 + FP1.8

LOVs are configured in Universe, "Automatic Refresh before use" and "Export with Universe" are ticked.

When a Webi report is open by a user, LOVs appears blank (with message "To see the content list please click the Refresh Values button").

Clicking the button does show the list but it is inconvenient because it requires extra clicking.

The list of values do show up on the first run only if Prompt values are blank. If a value is already selected for the prompt (or it has a default value) LOV stays empty until user clicks Refresh Values button.

0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh

We had the same issue in our universes. I found that when the prompt has default value, LoV is not refreshed automatically even with "automatic refresh" option for the LoV...

For example, in our case we used such condition objects to allow selection all companies by entering asterisk:

@Select(Company\Company No.) 
    IN @Prompt('Company Numbers:','A','Company\Company No.',multi,free,,{'*'}) 
or 
'*' IN @Prompt('Company Numbers:','A','Company\Company No.',multi,free,,{'*'})

List of values is not refreshed automatically with asterisk as default parameter. Without default value, it is working fine:

@Select(Company\Company No.) 
    IN @Prompt('Company Numbers:','A','Company\Company No.',multi,free) 
or 
'*' IN @Prompt('Company Numbers:','A','Company\Company No.',multi,free)

Regards,

Dmytro

WMuellner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Btw: this "trick" for being able to either select "some values" or "*", which stands for "all values" is no longer necessary, by declaring the prompt as "optional"... in which case it is removed from the query if no value is entered...

Walter

0 Kudos

Walter,

optionality of prompts can be set only on report level. We can't create optional condition object. So we still have to use the trick..

/Dmytro

WMuellner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dmytro,

you are right, if you have to predefine the "filter object" in the universe you will have to do the "trick"...

But what I found is the following: if you regenerate the LOV (for the first time) then it will be available later on (for some time only?). Maybe the LOV caches are deleted regularly, so if they are no longer available you will have to refresh again.

The problem seems to occur only when you have a predefined filter object. With normal prompts (i.e. defined within the query) the LOV list is refreshed automatically even the first time I try (at least with my system?!?).

regards,

Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey people,

I found something.

This is possible when you PURGE all data providers of report with Prompt values purged also. And then save the report.

(considering you have done all necessary checks on object LOV properties e.g. Automatic refresh before use, Export with universe )

Now if you refresh the report, it will show prompt LOVs populated with out 2nd CLICK.

This works for compulsory prompts and for optional prompts NULL/ NO value is also VALID input so it does not populate LOV in optional prompts.

Hope this helps.

regards,

saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

Could you please test the following solution.

1. In Designer, click the Tools menu then click Lists of Values.

2. Highlight all LOVs.

3. Refresh and re-upload the universe to enterprise.

Now all exported LOVs have the latest values based on the connection.

Regards,

Sarbhjeet Kaur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sarbhjeet,

I am getting refreshed values on manual refresh. But My requirement is whenever I click on any prompt in view mode LOV list/values should get populated in LOV window which is not happening in my case. otherwise data is displayed correctly after clicking refresh lov button manually.

Can you Plz, give inputs on the same lines?

WMuellner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Check the option "Caching of LOVs" in the Webi's server properties in the CMC, maybe this solves your problem. LOVs are cached to speed up performance...

Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Caching of LOVs option is already checked in my environment. LOV List is still blank in first view after opening report (I am refreshing the document on open which prompts me for the values) wherein it should show LOV list populated. Is this behavior by design and not customizable/ changeable ?

WMuellner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

first of all, if you make changes to the "default definition" of a LOV in Universe Designer, you must check the "export with universe" option, so that the changed definition is also available in the repository.

So checking "refresh before use" and "export with universe".

Then the LOV list will be filled in the query panel.

Secondly, I found that if you want to the LOV again refreshed after the first document refresh, you will have to switch OFF the LOV caching in the "WI report server process" (from CMC) Then the LOVs are refreshed repeatedly whenever you refresh the query (if this is what you want...)

hth,

Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Walter,

I had done everything that you suggested before But May be my problem is not yet properly conveyed.

Let me explain the situation again.

See the problem is not refreshed data in the LOVs but, Now when we see list of prompts at the time of report refresh,

We click on prompt then "AGAIN" Click on Refresh Values Button to see LOVs.

Now problem is in Second click. already we have so many selections and user want to minimize Number of clicks on report.

So, When we click on any prompt out of 7 prompt list which is displayed, respective LOV window should get populated WITHOUT clicking on REFRESH VALUES button. (Currently this list shows blank till the time you click on refresh values first time)

Now If I refresh all the LOVs at first refresh time then Next time LOV list is shown at first click only(i.e. when we select prompt )

So Basically I am looking for reduction in second click which increases trouble from user perspective.

WMuellner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Saurabh,

I understand your problem but cannot reproduce it. Which version of BO are you talking of??

Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using BO XI 3.1