Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference betwen Hotfix and an Update

jacobo_agami
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

Maybe someone can help me.

I am using SAP Business One 2007 A and i would like to know the difference between a Hotfix and a regular update patch.

I have search the forum and notes with no luck.

Thanks.

Jacobo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

- A patch is a small upgrade which fixes numerous issues in one upgrade. This is released in a regular schedule (monthly, quarterly). Similar to the updates for MS products.

- A Serice Pack will contain also many fixes but may also being new functionality (e.g. legal compliance issues etc). in general a patch may not contain new functionality because of the short release cycle, however this may change in the future.

- A hotfix on the other hand is there is there an immediate threat to the business because of a software defect which must be fixed. There are very strict rules to decide a patch v SP v hotfix. After recieveing a hotfix (usually via sftp of container) it is applied to the productive system, you should then upgrade to the next released patch when it is released.

So in essence, if you need a hotfix you have a serious issue which is justified because of the business impact. Hotfixes are very rare today.

Regards,

Paul

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You may check SAP Note Number: 1355681 and the following threads:

Hotfix is always a sub level of a particular regular Patch.

Thanks,

Gordon