cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports not working correctly with Visual Studio 2008??

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am developing a Web page using Visual Studio 2008 and Crystal Report XI, hoever everytime I start up visual studio a install routine stating that windows configures Crystal Report for Visual studio starts up, it then fails with the error 1706 stating no valid source code can be found for Crystal report Basic for Visual studio. Is this a Visual Studio or is it related to something with Crystal Report ?

CR Professional; Product type full Version 11.03.0.1282

Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM . Net framework 3.5 SP1

Thank you for any help in this matter.

Ivar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Tons of info on CR XI not supported on .NET 2008. Please do search these forums before creating a new thread. Also, search the note database:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/advancedsearch?cat=sdn_ossnotes&query=&adv=true

To see what versions are supported in .NET 2008, see [this|https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/CrystalReportsassemblyversionsandVisualStudio+.NET] wiki.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

THank you, I have tried to use the search, found one thread that I tried, but to no solution.

I tried to download the files Crystal11_Net_EmbeddedReporting.msm, CrystalReports11_NET_EmbeddedInstall.msi but when I tired to install them they asked for a key, and the key I had was appearantly not the correct one.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure how we got from CR XI r1 not supported in .NET 2008 to running Crystal11_Net_EmbeddedReporting.msm? The big question is, why would you want to run Crystal11_Net_EmbeddedReporting.msm? This is for the Report Designer Component (RDC) SDK and this SDK is not supported on any version of .NET. Also, Apps using Crystal11_Net_EmbeddedReporting.msm in supported environments, still needed extra licensing.

So, we need to figure out where we are we with this. Are you using the RDC from CR XI release 1 in .NET 2008?

Or, are you using the CR SDK for .NET from CR XI release 1 in .NET 2008?

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for all your help!

I am very new at this, so i probably tried something I shouldnt have. Not sure what you are referring to in regards to RDC or SDK.. Nevertheless, here is the info from CR:

Crystal Report Professional License Type Designer.

Here is info from VS 2008 .NET:

CrystalDescisions.CrystalReports.Engine Version 10.5.3700.0

CrystalDescisions.ReportSource Version 10.5.3700.0

CrystalDescisions.VSDesigner Version 10.5.3700.0

So it seems there is a difference in the versions. No idea why though

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK, OK. We're getting there.

Your app is using the CR assemblies from the bundled version of CR. Which is good as really, CR XI r1 in .NET 2008 gives me the ebee jeebes.

So, what you need to get this to work on the other computer is the runtime for CR 10.5. The msi file is here;

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006255282008E/CRRedist2008_x86.zip

Download that and run it on that server. The msi will ask for a keycode. You can find it easily by going to Help | About in the .NET IDE. Look at installed components. One of these will be "Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008" and the keycode will be right next to that.

I'm off for the weekend, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that the above gets it done for you before you have to go home.

Have a great weekend,

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Thank you fro all your help, seems I got one step closer, this time I found that the VS 2008 wants the CrystalReports2007.msi installed.

i tried to install using the CRRedist2008 .msi, but that didnt work, I also searched for a download file, but couldnt find one.

Any suggestions?

Thank you again!

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm assuming CrystalReports2007.msi is a typo.

You mention that you tried to install CRRedist2008 .msi.

But which one? There is three of these:

CRRedist2008_x86.msi

CRRedist2008_x64.msi

CRRedist2008_ia64.msi

And when you say; "that didnt work", what does that mean? Description of error, behavior, etc., would be nice. With all due respect, think of this as if this was your car and you send an email to your mechanic that your car does not work. I think even he'd have problems emailing you back with a solution.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Funny you should say that , I just had to drop my car off at the dealer this morning, looks like issues with the AC unit is what I told them (It was screaming and squealing all the waay there, no smoke today though)...

Ah well back to the issue at hand:

I'm assuming CrystalReports2007.msi is a typo.

That is actually what the Visual Studio 2008 tells me when I am offered to look for a file myself, when I then select the CRRedist2008_x86.msi it states that it cant find the file or they are not the correct ones. I dont always get this browse to find the missing files either.

The exact error is:

Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Crystal Report Basic for Visual Studio 2008. The Windows installer cannot continue.

Visual studio attempts to install the Crystal report package everytime I open the page with the report (in VS 2008).

I manually installed the CRRedist2008_x86.msi with no issue, but it still persist in trying to install the package upon opening of the page with the report.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Something is quite messed up here. If you still have CR XI on this box, uninstall it. Then do a .NET repair. Visual studio should not be attempting to install the Crystal report package every time you try to open the page with the report in VS 2008.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok

Will try to uninstall and see if that fixes the issus.

Thanks for all your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I uninstalled Visual Basic for VS 2008, then reinstalled it, this seemed to work, had to reinstall part of XI as well, but both seems to be working fine now.

Thanks.

Answers (0)