cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Risks/Consequences Associated with making changes in BS22

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am hoping that someone can tell me what are the risks associated with making changes in BS22.

Specifically, I am planning on changing status I8011 to allow business transaction PMM3. In other words, I am going to allow order assignment to a notification when system status MEBS is active on the notification.

My question is, by doing this, what risks am I introducing to the overall solution and for maintenance going forward? When enhancement packs and service packs are brought in and activated, will my changes to BS22 possibly be reverted back to the standard settings delivered by SAP? What about during an upgrade? Are there any other consequences to be aware of before making the decision to alter BS22 standard settings?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In general its not advisable to change SAP standard setting.However changes to these settings will be prompted for reset (Either in SPAU or SPDD) during upgrade or application of enhancement packs if these bring about a changes to this specific system status,otherwise your changes will be migrated through to the new version without any issues. Even when there is a conflict ,due to changes, you can overcome this by importing the new config settings and then making your neccessary changes.

The risk associated to the change of standard settings depends on what you are changing and understanding the current impact. In your case why would you want to assign a order to an Archived Notification?

I suppose in your case you have completed the notification and also set the deletion flag as part of the archiving process.I don't think making this change alone would allow you to assign the order to the notification.You would need to change the system status "NOCO" notification complete, as well to allow order assignment.You would also need to change system status "DLFL" deletion Flag to allow order assignment.Also if you have any reporting on order assigned date and Notification complete date the stats may lead to wrong information.

I dont see much risk associated to making your change,but i would be concerned about the changes to the other two system status, since you may have to loose control there and users may accidentally assign order to closed notification or a deleted notification(Deletion flag).

Regards

Narasimhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

MEBS is not a archived status. It means that the notification and work order are managed by the MEB - Maintenance Event Builder. This was originally a DIMP specific SAP transaction and is PM only, so the MEBS status does not cross modules. It is very isolated. I'm not particularly worried about making the change. I'm more worried about the change being overwritten and the config having to be reapplied each time a support pack is brought in.

Thanks for the response.

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is unlikely that a support package would reset the BS22 changes.

However, the BS22 changes will be overwritten on an upgrade, and possibly a system copy (depending on how its done)

PeteA

Former Member
0 Kudos

OOps i was looking at I0811 instead of I8011 and that had lead to this assumption. If that's the case, I wouldn't be too worried about the impact during upgrade.It would be very well covered by SPAU or SPDD objects.

As indicated above the changes will be controlled through SPDD and SPAU during upgrade and this status would be reflected in the above transactions ONLY if this particular status has been changed in the newer version.If that happens,reset the object to the original version,import the new object and then make the custom modification again on the new object.

Regards

Narasimhan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just to add to Narasimhan's comment above.

Often system statuses are shared across modules and by changing the BS22 setting in one module you can seriously mess up another module (i've seen this in practice..)

My advice would be this: don't mess around in BS22 until you have exhausted all other possibilities e.g. developments etc. And if you do change any BS22 settings, then make sure you test thoroughly across all modules.

PeteA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

BS22 system status is set and condition is updated by SAP based on the several revisions and expertise as standard functinality.

if your business requirement realy need this you can go ahead with this, but its typically indiviual business how it handles.

SAP recommends standard.

regards

Krishna jois