cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule Report to MS Sharepoint location fails (source file error)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am Using BO XI R2.

I would like to publish WEBI reports automatically in a Sharepoint environment. I had managed to get this to work. But since last weekend my schedules fail. What did I do in order to get this to work:

- Enabled the unmanaged disk option in the Central Management Console.

- Entered a standard location in UNC format (//intranet.*****-***.com/sharepointfolder) and password (DOMAIN\USERID ; password)

- Had the WEBCLIENT service enabled (in MS Windows Server 2003) or else it was not possible to connect to the webdav location.

- When I run command (cmd) and then check the sharepoint location I am prompted to log in. Because this sharepoint machine is on another domain I login with DOMAIN\USERID and password. I am able to browse and write this directory from the BOXI server environment.

- I have checked If I can schedule reports to a location on the C drive of the business Objects server. That works fine)

- When I schedule a report to the sharepoint location I get this error: source file error. CrystalEnterprise.DiskUnmanaged: Invalid argument.

The strange thing is that this had worked before. The only thing I can see is that our hosting partner patched the BO server environment with

- MS10-001 - Vulnerability in the Embedded OpenType Font Engine Could Allow Remote Code Execution (972270)

- MS10-002 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (978207)

After this patch weekend it did not work anymore. Coincidence? I cannot see what these updates have to do with my schedule problem?

Any ideas would be very welcome!!

Edit:

Could this have to do with the account under which I am running the Web Intelligence Job Server - Service. It is running under LocalSystem (System account)? This localsystem account does not have any permissions on the Sharepoint location? But then again: it worked fine for about a few weeks.

Edited by: B. Vandenhende on Feb 16, 2010 2:43 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

BasicTek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've always thought the account running the webi report job server should be an AD account with permissions to write to the other server (where the reports get sent) Something needs write access to put files there. Not sure how this worked in the past without that.

Regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Tim,

Thanks for you response. I had already read that on different fora. So I tried to use a different account for the report job server.

But what I do not understand is: the account used in the report job server is needed for starting the service on the BOXI server. What does this have to do with the destination. I did not manage to get this to work because the destination sharepoint server is on another domain. (so I was not able to use this account for the report job server).

(and then again: If you run the report job service under an account that has write access to the sharepoint site, what would then be the use of providing a location/username/password on the unmanaged disk properties in the central management console??)

This "experience" above combined with the knowledge that it had worked before does suggest that this is not the solution to my problem. But it is very hard to isolate the issue. I guess (but that is hard to accomplish) it would be nice to deinstall the service packs installed in that weekend

Thanks for your contribution, any other ideas would be very welcome!

Edited by: B. Vandenhende on Feb 17, 2010 9:51 AM

Edited by: B. Vandenhende on Feb 17, 2010 9:54 AM

BasicTek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well The way Microsoft works if you are going to place a file on a different server you have to have an account. It's possible if a domain account is configured in the CMC >> servers >> job server >> destination that it will be the account. You should be able run explorer on the destination as that account and write to the directory. Again usually we set this as the service account but in theory I think it could be either but this cannot be accomplished without an account that has/had permissions.

Regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been searching for a solution all day. At the moment I am not able to write a document to the sharepoint location in explorer (from the BOXI windows server 2003 machine). When trying this from my own pc it does work. The error message I am receiving is that the file exists (which is not the case).

On another test machine my webclient service is running, but I am not able to connect to this sharepoint location anymore.

I guess the security updates / server reboot affected the webclient service in some way?

I am completely lost...

Edited by: B. Vandenhende on Feb 17, 2010 4:47 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are having the same problem with XI3.2 against SharePoint 2007. In our case, both servers are in the same domain, and the BusObj services are running under a domain account.

Did you ever find a solution to this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Doug,

I am experiencing the exact same problems with the webclient service. But I guess sometimes problems are solved using the:

net stop mrxdav

command. (from command prompt off course). It will ask you to stop the webclient service. After that you can restart this webclient service.

Let me know if this helps you?

Regards,

Bart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, no, restarting the Web Client service does not help us. Although the problem is intermittent -- it works maybe 20% of the time, and fails the other 80%.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Same here. Last week I had it to work back again. After a reboot of the server environment due to the installation of patches the mechanism fails again. Access Denied...

I am constantly wondering if this has anything to do with the instability/unpredictability of the webclient service in Windows Server 2003. Microsoft completely rewrote this part in vista/server 2008. And that is not baceuse the webclient service was stable and reliable. Any ideas on this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We seemed to have found the answer, for us. A registry setting on the BOE windows server (related to the WebClient service) was preventing the authentication from happening.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What registry setting was changed? We had both AD service accounts in Sharepoint as well as an administrator and it still didn't work. It always seem to be the handshake from BO to Sharepoint...as it prompts for credentials in Windows Explorer, but once we put in credentials, its fine, either service account or our own.

So its not passing across. So if you have this registry item, that would be wonderful? It still an issue in XI 3.1 Sp3.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are having the same problem, do you know this registry key? or is there another solution?

Thanks for helping,

Wim

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are having the same issue. Share Point server is in separate domain and BO is in a different domain. We are unable to schedule report to share point.

Any body has resolution for this?

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Doug

Can you remember what you change in the registry?

Michael

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Miheer

Do you have a domain or local account running BusinessObjects?

We had to create a domain service account with the necessary rights on SharePoint to run BusinessObjects.

Since we have done this we can schedule to SharePoint.

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response. Appreciate it !

We have a domain service account running the SIA. In the schedule we have tried letting the schedule destination to use job servers default settings as well configured it manually but the schedule just doesnt seem to be able to write to sharepoint location.

You mentioned that you had to provide necessary rights to the domain account:

We had to create a domain service account with the necessary rights on SharePoint to run BusinessObjects.

Would you by any chance have a list of minimum rights required to the domain account on the sharepoint server for the schedule to be able to write to the sharepoint directory ?

Thanks!

Miheer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Miheer

Sorry I don't.

I know it took a lot of playing with the settings to get it to work.

I think the a/c has a very high level of access.

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos

thanks.. i'll check the rights on the sharepoint server !

-

Miheer

0 Kudos

Hi

I tried following steps still the issue persists :

Create a registry entry AuthForwardServerList of type Multi-String Value at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

\WebClient\Parameters\. Type the names of the computers hosting the

SharePoint service as a list in the Value Data, one name on each line.

click OK.

Fyi.. This the error I get :

login error. [Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.]: [CrystalEnterprise.DiskUnmanaged]

Verified that Username and Password are correct and user has Full Control on Sharepoint site

Thanks,

Miheer