cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP dump TSV_TNEW_PAGE_ALLOC_FAILED

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

Recently we've been receiving a bunch of TSV_TNEW_PAGE_ALLOC_FAILED abap dumps.

The dump will always mention "No storage space available for extending table "IT_XXXXX"." XXXXX are various numbers.

This is a server memory issue, NOT a DB space issue. An internal table is a table that resides in server memory.

Also i noticed in ST02, Free Space & Free Directory for NAMETAB (NTAB) Table definition is RED and 0.00. Could this be related to the abap dump???

I'm trying to pinpoint which parameter to increase the value, I rounded it down to:-

abap/heap_area_total

abap/heap_area_dia

abap/heap_area_nondia ...

em/initial_size_MB

ztta/roll_extension

Would this solve this problem???

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All

This memory related error gets because its hitting upper limits of memory for sinlgle user,

Roll area...................... 6178768

Extended memory (EM)........... 2001260211

Assigned memory (HEAP)......... 10096240

Short area..................... 16079

Paging area.................... 262144

Maximum address space.......... "-1"

You need to change heap area dia to 2GB and abap heap area non dia to a high value depending on RAM and heap area

total also

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can try incresing the heap memory for Non-diag to 4 or 6 gb , roll_extension to 4 gb and em_global to 20% more to existing.

The BTC takes the memory intially from roll after that Heap memory if that exhausted it will go for roll_extension .

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/34/d9c8b9c23c11d188b40000e83539c3/content.htm

Thanks,

Subhash.G

former_member204080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check this note useful 1322182 ->TSV_TNEW_PAGE_ALLOC_FAILED

sombhu_shaw
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Expert,

Can we do the changes using ABAP or we have to connect with our admin/BASIS to do it.

Thanks,

Sombhu

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This seems to be problem in the Shared memory. please refer Note 1166259 - Problems with shared memory in marketing applications for the solution

Regards

D.Mukunthan

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

most possible the issue with abap program please check abap program

or check paging memory in you server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keat,

In my experience , 9 out of 10 times this dump has been seen due to some Z* (customer program) not being correctly written and hence not optimally utilizing the memory of the system.

The below issue which you are facing; is this due to a standard SAP program or a Z* program. Please confirm this.

Also, more often than not, the SAP parameter values would be fine. You can get this checked again, though.

But i guess, The program should be tuned accordingly.

Because, Its difficult to understand why would this program consume 2 GB of memory ?

Good Luck.

Hari Kishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keat,

Can you let us know the exact situation when you are getting this dump and also the system details. In my experience this dump you see freaquently in BW system in production support after over a period of time, as the data grow's and accordingly user request for the data grows. In that case you need to do memory tuning. But also as Alivier recommonded its better to look for the provision where you can reduce the selection criterea or some time's there could be a problem with program that you are using then u have to reach out programmer.

If this memory demand is from SAP standard programs, then give the complete senario of the problem. Like what you are trying to run and the steps you are following for that. So that its easy to narrow down the problem and to find the cause.

Also if you decided to change the memory parameters, then dont forget to run the 'sappfpar' to check your profile.

Thanks & Regards,

N.Amarnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

These are the related parameters currently set in the system.

ztta/roll_area = 6500000

ztta/roll_extension = 2000000000

abap/heap_area_total = 2000000000

abap/heap_area_dia = 10000000

abap/heap_area_nondia = 1073741824

em/initial_size_MB = 6144

here is a sample storage usage at termination time of the abap dump.

As you can see, the usage of the Extended memory (EM) of the batch jobs have exceeded the specified value of 2000000000.

This is the reason why the batch jobs got terminated with error message "No storage space available for extending table "IT_XXXXXX"."

We can't do much here as we're not allowed to increase the value of parameter ztta/roll_extension further.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

So I would say why is this program stuffing in 2GB data into an internal table?

Is this a SAP standard program or bespoke customer one?

Question does this program do inserts or update...if so, how often does the program commit to the DB.

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Increase abap/shared_objects_size_MB to 100MB.This will solve the issue. Its inital size is 20MB.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>Increase abap/shared_objects_size_MB to 100MB.This will solve the issue. Its inital size is 20MB.

Text removed by moderator Keep it civil please

This parameter has nothing to do with the problem...

Edited by: Matt on Dec 13, 2011 10:54 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you check your JOB work's fine or not? As mr.Olivier say usually is are badly writen code ....

About memory configuration .... --->> You not say how much memory you have on your BOX, are DB on same host, any other application are used? Try to give as this information, or we need buy magic ball ? Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

here is a sample storage usage at termination time of the abap dump.

Hi KeatSeong,

Based on the values from your ABAP dump, I can definitely say this is a BAD program. At the time of termination, Extended memory is fully utilized upto 2GB which is allowed per process as per ztta/roll_extension.

Please ask ABAPer to check the ABAP code where the program terminates .... many times if there is a nested query where first query results in internal table and that becomes source for another query , the issue is previous query generated a NULL internal table and that triggers a full table read of the next query on a huge table and that becomes this ERROR.

A simple, IF InternalTable not NULL, condition may resolve this issue, if the symptoms I mentioned are correct in your case.

Thanks

Yatin

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

If this dump is about a background job, why it uses less heap and more of the EM.

As per your parameters:

ztta/roll_extension = 2000000000 
abap/heap_area_total = 2000000000 
abap/heap_area_dia = 10000000 
abap/heap_area_nondia = 1073741824 
em/initial_size_MB = 6144

Your non_dia heap is set to 1GB, its only after using this 1GB would the background process look for Extended memory. Most probably this dump is not of a background process.

Also, I see that your total extended memory is just 6GB how much memory does your server have? Make good use of the available server memory by setting up large chunks of EM, if you increase the initia_size_MB to say 8GB or 12GB you can increase ztta/roll_extension to accommdate those programs that are dumping.

However the first priority is to talk to developers on improving the code rather than increasing parameters.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>This is a server memory issue,

In my experience, 9 times out of 10, it is either a badly written program or an unappropriate (too big) variant used.

This kind of short dump is designed to protect your system from too much memory consumption.

It is much better to dump one program than to crash the whole system.

Don't change the system paramters before checking the variant and the program. You are not supposed to load tens of millions lines in an internal table. You can check the number of lines in the short dump.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

An internal table is a table that resides in server memory

This is correct but is limited to the parameters you have listed, as you do not not multiple users blowing your server memory away.

I'm trying to pinpoint which parameter to increase the value, I rounded it down to:-

abap/heap_area_total

abap/heap_area_dia

abap/heap_area_nondia ...

em/initial_size_MB

ztta/roll_extension

Waht are your valuse for these..?

and can you paste the full dump..

Mark