Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNC configuration of BOE and SAP

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

We have configured the SAP BW server with the sapcrypto library, and configured as suggested in the installation manual.

But following this we are not able to use SNC logon from the SAP GUI.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting next step?

Best regards

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (26)

Answers (26)

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Solution is to install kerberos libraries all over.

This means changing NTLM to kerberos on SAP GUI clients.

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

or use NTLM for server side trust or use NTLM and SAP Crypto

ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo

- Which libraries are configured on the SAP Server backed ?

Can't quite remember (will check), but it is for sure a 64 bit library.

- what are the workflow scenarios that you are looking for ?

The user shall logon to his laptop using his AD credentials. SSO shall be setup for BOE so that no further logon is required (done). It shall be possible to create and refresh reports using universes ocnnecting to BW. The AD credentials shall be mapped to SAP BW users, so that the BW user credentials are passed to BW when executing the reports, thus ensuring proper row level security.

- are you trying to get a server side trust going ?

If this is required to do above, then yes.

- are you trying to combine windows AD with SAP authentication for InfoView ?

Yes

- are you trying to combine windows AD with SAP authentication for Universe Designer ?

No

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

that is server side trust and that is documented in the installation guide for the SAP Kit

ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ingo

I guess we're then back where we started.

In the manual the suggestion is to install the sapcrypto library.

But when this is done on the SAP instance, then SAP GUI SSO no longer work (This has been in place at the customer site for a long time).

So the question is: Can I (and how) combine server side trust with classical SAP GUI sso?

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

we are going back and forth on the same topic.

SAP Crypto is clearly mentioned in the installation guide for Server Side trust and not for the SAP GUI. I asked previously in this threat what the goal is and it was about InfoView and not about SAP GUI.

so let me ask this question again - what is the goal here ?

(1) SSO with Windows AD and SAP authentication in InfoView ?

or

(2) SSO via SAP Logon / SAP GUI

(1) is a web based authentication

(2) is a thick / rich client authentication

ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ingo

Sorry for the confusion.

Please observe that the customer wishes to be able to use infoview (with AD SSO and SAP user mapping) along side use of SAP GUI (for other tasks such as BW administration, HR and what have you).

And this SAP GUI still need to run with SSO same way as allways.

But when I follow the instructions of the installation guide and install sapcrypto, the client side GUI sso stops working. This was the original reason for the thread and this was reported in the first post.

So how do I implement server side trust while retaining the original SAP GUI sso installation.

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please observe that the customer wishes to be able to use infoview (with AD SSO and SAP user mapping) along side use of SAP GUI (for other tasks such as BW administration, HR and what have you).

>>> that requires two different SNC libraries as SAP Cryptographic can not be used for SAP GUI logon.

You need to configure 2 different SNC Libs on the backend.

ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo

OK. And how is this done.

The library is defined using snc\gssapi_lib parameter.

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I would suggest you look into the SNC documentation on help.sap.com

ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ingo

We are trying to implement what you have described in the blog.

We are using gsskrb5.dll (32 bit version) which we found in note 352295. This was the only library that we could load without getting a load library error.

But looking into the documentation I am wondering whether the library is really useful.

The sapcrypto.dll library we can not load.

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

looks like we are going back and forth a little bit.

The library is 32bit - which most likely wouldn't work with the 64bit SAP Backend.

- Which libraries are configured on the SAP Server backed ?

- what are the workflow scenarios that you are looking for ?

- are you trying to get a server side trust going ?

- are you trying to combine windows AD with SAP authentication for InfoView ?

- are you trying to combine windows AD with SAP authentication for Universe Designer ?

Server Side Trust means SAP Cryptographic Library on the server side.

Windows AD / SAP User with InfoView means SAP Cryptographic Library on the server side.

Windows AD / SAP User with Universe Designer >> not supported.

ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

The screenshot on page 8 says p:tomsgroupsso-botest. (Our first try was without p:)

´This is what provides the error.

Anyway, what we want to do is exactly what you describe in:

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2009/07/03/businessobjects-enterprise-and-client-side-snc-part-1-of-2

Namely: "Most customers use SNC to combine the user authentication of for example Windows AD with the SAP credentials"

You write the following:

"

To configure BusinessObjects Enterprise to use SNC you the following tasks are needed:

- Configuring BusinessObjects Enterprise servers to start and run under an appropriate user account

- Configure the SAP system to trust your BusinessObjects Enterprise system

- Configure the SNC settings in the Central Management Console of BusinessObjects Enterprise

- Map SAP users as aliases to Windows AD users.

"

So we are trying our best to do as described, but after having enabled SNC as desribed in the blog we are no longer able to import roles and therefore we can't complete the last point on above list.

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

so which SNC library are you using ? and I hope you noticed that the blog is not about server side trust but your screenshots look like server side trust

ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ingo

We do logon to universe designer using SAP credentials (When I say sso I simply mean that we select the sso option when defining the connection to a BW query). This works fine as long as we don't enable SNC.

But when we enable SNC as per your description, the CMC is no longer able to connect to the BW system to import roles.

This is what is illlustrated in the screenshots on the document.

So yes, we are attempting server side trust.

And we are trying to follow your blog instructions.

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

configuring the CMC to do SNC in the entitlement screen is not Server Side Trust. Server Side Trust does actually not include to configure the CMC on the entitlement system tab with SNC. if thats what you looking for that is client side SNC.

in addition look at the previous comments where several screenshots were missing the "p:" in the configuration

Ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ingo

Essentially we want to enable AD authentication and sso so that infoview logon is authenticated using AD and sso. Then we wish to create universes with sso to BW so that BW authorization is leveraged for row level security. For this to happen I believe we need to map the AD user credential to SAP credentials within CMC.

May be we got it all wrong here, but we have tried to apply the instructions from the 2 links you provided earlier in this thread, but are stuck with SNC names.

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Essentially we want to enable AD authentication and sso so that infoview logon is authenticated using AD and sso.

>>> That is called "Server Side Trust" and is in the documentation.

Then we wish to create universes with sso to BW so that BW authorization is leveraged for row level security. For this to happen I believe we need to map the AD user credential to SAP credentials within CMC.

>> The Universe Designer does not support client side SNC - I think we talked about that already. For the Universe Designer you will always have to logon with the SAP credentials.

Ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ingo

This was the first we tried (ie. p:tomsgroup\sso-botest), but then we got the error message that can be seen in the screenshot of page 8.

Seems as if p:tomsgroup\sso-botest is translated into "tomsgroupsso-botest "add" TOMSGROUP.DOM"

Best regards

Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

first of all the account has to be the same in all the configurations and it needs to be entered with a "p:" in front if it - see also Page 6.

Page 7 and 8 are showing that you are trying to configure the CMC with SNC.

so lets first of all clarify what you are actually trying to establish here ? are we talking about SERVER SIDE TRUST or CLIENT SIDE AUTHENTICATION WITH SNC ?

Ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos
IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

see here:

[Wed Jun 09 14:59:02 2010] 912 3144 secSAPR3: The following credentials are not valid and the system is therefore disabled: CLIENT=100 LANG=da ASHOST=bwtest SYSNR=00 SNC_MODE=1 SNC_QOP=1 SNC_LIB="E:\usr\NTAMD64\gsskrb5.dll" SNC_PARTNERNAME="p:tomsgroup/sso-botest" SNC_MYNAME="p:sso-botest" USER=sso-botest

the user is once shown with the domain and once without - that needs to be both times a domain account.

Ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ingo

Tried regedit, but couldn't find the setting. Could you elaborate?

/Thomas

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo

Yes, we changed the setting to p:sso-botest.

After having done this we changed the pane of the authentication setup to "role import".

It was when we did this that we earlier got the errors described in this thread.

Now there is no error. Instead we simply get a message: no data received.

So the SAP plugin of BOE does not receive the list of roles from SAP.

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

that sounds strange.

I assume when you use a standard SAP user with password this works fine ?

did you try to trace the SAP Security plug in (simple registry setting on windows) ?

currently in Australia - so there will be delay

ingo

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

on a windows box it would be the branch

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\SAP\Authentication

and there is a key called Trace which uses Yes or No as values

ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks

Now we don't get a connection error.

But in the role import pane the message is "no data retrieved", hence we are not able to load any SAP roles.

And as a result we can't map AD accounts to SAP accounts.

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

did you change the configuration to have the "p:" in front of the SNC Name ?

ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Note, by the way, that the three dll configurations in the first image in the doc all point to the same library (even if the names are different).

Sorry for the confusion.

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

any SNC name always has to have "p:" in front of it . compare screenshot on page 6 and 7.

Ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Again

Having had other things to attend to for a while, we have now returned to this issue.

We have tried to implement as described in the blogs. See also below link.

But we get the same error. Our main doubt reg. the various settings is the "SNC name".

https://sapmats-de.sap-ag.de/download/download.cgi?id=VQUDD1R9VLI6NXS7QH90CATWPMNKBXWWSLLNQQI77V7COU...

Best regards

Thomas

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All

The message appears after having inserted SNC name in the entitlements pane of the SAP authentication part of CMC.

We have replaced the gssapi32.dll with a 32 bit version of gsskrb5.dll. Now the software is able to load the dll, but the message now reads:

Connect to SAP gateway failed Connect_PM GWHOST=bwtest, GWSERV=sapgw00, ASHOST=bwtest, SYSNR=00 LOCATION CPIC (TCP/IP) on local host ERROR SNCERR_BAD_NT_PREFIX SncPImportPrName() parsing error name="sso-botest" TIME Fri Mar 26 09:52:58 2010 RELEASE 640 COMPONENT SNC (Secure Network Communication) VERSION 5 RC -35 MODULE sncxxall.c LINE 2200 DETAIL SncPSetNewName COUNTER 1

br

Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

as you can recognize you only have a simple name as the SNC Name and you are using the Kerberos implementation, which means ou need a domain account as SNC Name.

Take a look here:

SNC Part 1

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2009/07/03/businessobjects-enterprise-and-client-side-snc-part-1-of-2

SNC Part 2

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2009/07/03/businessobjects-enterprise-and-client-side-snc-part-2-of-2

Ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes environment variable (SNC_LIB) was configured, but system was not restarted.

But the problem remains, even after restart.

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

so at which point / which workflow does the error message come up ?

ingo

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

in which workflow do you receive the error message ?

thanks

Ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

OK

Coming back to the server side trust.

We have copied the gssapi32.dll library that were in use in the SAP system to the BOE server.

But when we configure SNC we get a load library error.

What could be the cause of this?

Best regards

Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

environment variables are configured ?

ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Are you specifying the 32bit GSSAPI DLL, when you should be using the 64bit?

Thanks!

Kyle

0 Kudos

Hi,

could you please post the exact errormessage ?

Regards

-Seb.

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

OK, just saw that there are some check boxes in live-office and widgets for SSO. UNot sure about universe designer, but it's not all that important.

Found a thread with a nice walk-through:

Will try this tomorrow. My confusion was the SNC name.

But how can I verify that SNC is working properly? Is there some sort of "ping" that can be executed and a log file to be inspected?

Best regards

Thomas

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

And even further to this:

How do I ensure that universe designer, live-office and BI widgets have SSO and SNC BW access as well.

Best regards

Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

its all about SSO (not SNC) because the SNC is in the background - remember we are not talking about THICK CLIENt SNC here.

XC, CR and LO Part 1 of 4

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2008/10/03/businessobjects-and-sap-part-1-of-4--creating-a-xcelsius-dashboard-on-top-of-sap-bi

XC, CR and LO Part 2 of 4

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2008/10/07/businessobjects-and-sap-part-2-of-4--creating-a-xcelsius-dashboard-on-top-of-sap-bi

XC, CR and LO Part 3 of 4

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2008/10/07/businessobjects-and-sap-part-3-of-4--creating-a-xcelsius-dashboard-on-top-of-sap-bi

XC, CR and LO Part 4 of 4

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2008/10/10/businessobjects-and-sap-part-4-of-4--creating-a-xcelsius-dashboard-on-top-of-sap-bi

ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo

One question: The distinguished name of the BW server that I have to insert under SNC settings in the CMC is unclear to me.

I have not used a DN formatted name anywhere in my settings. Where can I investigate what to enter here?

Best regards

Thomas

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo

Got it, thanks

Will try tomorrow morning and update the thread.

Best regards

Thomas

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo

OK, I am slowly getting the picture.

I can disregard everything in the installation guide pertaining to sapcrypto. (sapgenpse, STRUST transaction etc.)

All I need to do is to configure my SIA (or an additional SIA) to use an existing SNC account (It could be an existing BW user).

Then move on to use SNC0 and configure my system ID, SU01 to configure a followed by the CMC stuff.

In the blog you attached you mention that this is only client side trust.

So if publications are needed I am still not home free, or?

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

it is not only client side - because your SIA runs under the SNC account you also have the server side trust.

ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo

OK, May be I have not understood a thing here, but how can I make these libraries co-exist?

I have tried installing the sapcrypto library on the BW server (Which works OK), but this implies changing the

"snc/gssapi_lib" parameter, and hence the old SNC library is no longer in use. Thereby I can't logon using SAP GUI.

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

then you would use the existing configuration for BOE as well:

SNC Part 1

SNC Part 2

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2009/07/03/businessobjects-enterprise-and-client-side-snc-part-2-of-2

Ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo

Thanks for replying.

I am not currently worrying about Crystal and Xcelsius. I just want to ensure that we can have server side trust allowing AD credentials to be mapped to BW users for use in connections towards BW. At the same time we want the legacy SAP GUI to work with SNC setup as allways.

I understand then that I need to leverage kerberos SNC for both these tasks. Ie. not install the sapcrypto library.

Where do I get this kerberos SNC library?

/Thomas

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

assuming you are ok with the THICK clients like Crystal Reports, Xcelsius and Universe Designer NOT to use an actual SNC based client logon you can use the SAP Cryptographic Lib for Server side trust and combine Windows Ad with SAP credentials and then for example logon with Windows AD credentials to InfoView.

for the SAP GUI you need to use a different SNC Library as the SAP Cryptographc Lib is not licensed for a THICK client logon process

Ingo

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

which makes perfect sense because SAP Cryptographic Library is used for a SERVER to SERVER communication and even licensing wise you can not use SAP Cryptographic Lib for a CLIENT to SERVER communication.

In case you would like to establish an actual CLIENT to SERVER workflow with SNC you need to leverage the NTLM / Kerberos implementation or buy software from a 3rd party SNC vendor like Secude.

Keep in mind that only Crystal Reports and Xcelsius do support a CLIENT to Server (THICK client) workflow today for SNC>

ingo

thomas_madsen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

SNC was working already (Not sure if SNC is the right word though). A system PSE was setup on the server, and SNC was enabled in the SAP logon pad for each SAP server in the environment.

We followed the instructions to install the sapcrypto library on the BW server. Initally we had problems because snc was already enabled and hence the server could not startup as the loading of the sapcrypto library requires the cred file. After disabling snc we could startup and then proceed to create and SNC pse.

But after enabling of snc the SNC conifguration in the SAP logon config no longer works. We have tried entering the DN formatted name (DN=BW, OU= ...) but it does not work.

Best regards

Thomas

0 Kudos

How did you configure SNC to work with the SAP GUI before the BOBJ SNC setup?

Regards

Stratos