cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VS2005 Crystal Report Print Report Button is not working on Windows 7 x64

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi There,

My application is written in VS2005 C# on x86 machine. It runs smoothly on XP pro and Vista x86 machine.

I deployed the same to windows 7 x64 machine with CRRedist2005_x64.msi and found that the Print Report button is not working.

So, I re-compiled my application to x64 target platform, and reinstall the application to the same machine. But nothing changed. I have surf for answer over the web but nothing found.

Please help urgently. Any helps is much appreciated. Thks in advance.

Edited by: chanpyvivian on Mar 26, 2010 11:14 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am assuming this is a windows app - please confirm.

What is the version of the CR assembly crystaldecisins.crystalreports.enging.dll referenced in your project?

Can any app print from this computer?

Can you elaborate a bit more on; " the print button is not working, ". E.g.; you click, nothing happens? You get an error? Etc.

What is the printer you are trying to use?

Is it a local or network printer?

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

My app is Windows app. The application is developed on Vista 32-bit machine. I can preview and print the report from this machine and other 32-bit machines running XP or Vista.

The CR version : 10.2.3600.0

I deployed the app on windows 7 x64 machine, I can preview the report on CrystalReportViewer control; the Print Report Button is enabled, I clicked but nothing happen; no error message.

The attached printer is HP inkjet, local printer. I can print from MS office and test print from printer properties. The printer is set as default.

Thanks.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure if you're using the SP 1 runtime, but if not, try that;

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006255282008E/CRRedist2008_x86.zip

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using VS2005 Prof edition with SP1.

I installed the CRRedist2008_x86.msi to the x64 machine, nothing changed.

I also did the same for CRRedist2008_x64.msi, still nothing changed.

Now in that x64 machine, it has CRRedist2005_x86, x64 and the above. I tried to uninstall the older version but cannot be removed.

Really need your help. Thanks.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd like you to download the sample app vbnet_win_printtoprinter.zip which can be downloaded from here;

https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/CrystalReportsfor.NETSDK+Samples

Download it to your dev computer and compile is to .NET 2005. Use a "saved data" report so that you do not have to worry about database logon. Then copy the exe to the 64 bit box and try to print using this sample app. Do you get any error messages?

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I follow your instruction as below:

1) download the sample app vbnet_win_printtoprinter.zip to dev computer and compile it to .NET 2005.

- Run from my dev computer

- Click "Print Report" button

- Error message display - please see below

The error was due to the default printer name hard coded in the program was not found. I have edited to my printer name and it can be printed out with no error.

2) Use a "saved data" report so that you do not have to worry about database logon.

can't find the "saved data", please elaborate

3) Then copy the exe to the 64 bit box and try to print using this sample app.

-do you mean copy the exe to the 64 bit computer for testing ?

ERROR Message

-

CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.InvalidArgumentException:

Invalid printer specified. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80000201):

Invalid printer specified.

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.Controllers.PrintOutputControllerClass.ModifyPrinterName(String newVal)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.PrintOptions.set_PrinterName(String value)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.PrintOptions.Copy(PrintOptions src)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String filename, OpenReportMethod openMethod, Int16 parentJob)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ConvertDotNetToErom.ThrowDotNetException(Exception e)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String filename, OpenReportMethod openMethod, Int16 parentJob)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportClass.Load(String reportName, OpenReportMethod openMethod, Int16 parentJob)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.EnsureLoadReport()

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.get_FormatEngine()

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.PrintToPrinter(Int32 nCopies, Boolean collated, Int32 startPageN, Int32 endPageN)

at PrintToPrinter.Form1.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Crystal\CRNET\vbnet_win_printtoprinter\vbnet_win_printtoprinter\Form1.vb:line 91

-

OK

-

Edited by: chanpyvivian on Mar 30, 2010 6:18 PM

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

3) Then copy the exe to the 64 bit box and try to print using this sample app.

-do you mean copy the exe to the 64 bit computer for testing ?

- yes

Open the repor tin the design view. Go to the print optons and enable "No Printer".

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tested on 64 bit computer, can print without error message.

I can also print report from my app to printer without error.

The only problem now is cannot trigger the Print Report button from CR viewer.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you been able to try my other suggestion?

Open the report in the design view. Go to the print optons and enable "No Printer".

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I tested the sample app with enabled "No Printer".

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't know. Probably best to create a phone case here:

http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/DisplayProductByTypePage&parentCategoryID=&categoryI...

ask for a contact in your region.'

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you find a solution to this yet? I am having the same problems as above, on Windows 7 x64:

1. Using CRRedist2005_X64.msi from 9/23/05: Print button on CR Viewer toolbar does nothing. No error, no printout. Printing by other methods is successful.

2. Cannot uninstall CR.NET 2005 Runtime, so SP1 version will not install (CRRedist2005_X64.msi dated 10/24/07).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Still can't find any solutions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi;

We tested this here on 64 Bit Windows 7. The results are that the Print Button issue is resolved with the Service Pack 1 MSI from Crystal Reports for .NET 2005. You get the updated MSI by installing the SP on your development system (SP1 for VS.NET 2005 also must be applied). Our SP can be found here:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006007872008E/crvs05sp1.exe

As for uninstalling the original MSI on Windows 7, you can use Microsoft's Installer Cleanup Utility to remove the previous install. Info on it can be found: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Regards,

Jonathan

Edited by: Jonathan Parminter on Apr 21, 2010 2:09 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am having the same problem when attempting to print a crystal report in Great Plains 10. I can preview the report, export and print the pdf but the Print button does not respond when I click it (no errors, nothing). We are using Crystal X1, Developers Kit.

Will/Can this SP also resolve my issue?

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, CarolynJ

No, completely different version, completely different issue. Please post your issue as a new post, specifying your exact version of Crystal Reports, the operating system, ect. This may also be an issue you need to talk to Great Plains (Microsoft) about.

Regards,

Jonathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I followed your instruction but the print button still cannot be triggered.

I installed the Service Pack for Crystal Report for .Net 2005 on my development pc, then re-build project and deploy it on 64-bit pc, but nothing happen.

Do I need to do anything to the deployment pc ?

Please help. Thks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi;

How did you deploy, using the merge modules or the .MSI? The testing I did was with the CRResist2005_X64.msi. Make sure the file size of the msi is 26.6 Megs, or it may not have updated correctly.

Regards,

Jonathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have the same issue..I follow your suggestion.

My Msi (CRRedist2005_x86.msi) is 16.3 mb in size.

but its still not working on Windows7

Please help

Answers (0)