cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open tomcat

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have BOE XI 3.1 with SP2 installed on Windows Server 2008 (64 bit). I have both CMC & Infoview working.

I am trying to open Tomcat Configuration to set up SSO, but it is giving an error message, "Access is denied. Unable to open the service 'BOE120Tomcat'.

I could see Tomcat service running under the windows service manager. Even tried running the Tomcat5.exe from "\Tomcat55\bin" folder, but it didnt openup any window. How to resolve this.

Or is there any other way to add the below two lines in Tomcat to enable SSO.

-Djava.security.auth.login.config=C:\winnt\bscLogin.conf

-Djava.security.krb5.conf=C:\winnt\Krb5.ini

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Have you disabled UAC? I think UAC caused this error for me as well on 2008 64bit. It's in control panel user accounts (requires reboot).

Regards,

Tim

joshua_kuhn
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Open up your Start > Run command and type in the following. You might have to change the path to the tomcat5w.exe if not installed to the default C:\ drive. The end is important as it tells which instance of Tomcat to open the config manager for. I don't believe launching the tomcatw.exe directly will work.

"C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Tomcat55\bin\tomcat5w.exe" //ES//BOE120Tomcat

The last part of the command is the service name for Tomcat. If you are using Tomcat that was installed with the default XI 3.1 installation, the above should work. If you installed your own instance of Tomcat separately, go into Administrative Tools > Services and open the properties of Tomcat. The Service Name is normally "BOE120Tomcat" but change this part of the command line if yours is named different.

Edited by: Joshua Kuhn on Jun 10, 2010 3:02 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Joshua!, I tried that and got the same error message.

I have installed BOBJ in D drive, so the path is "D:\Program Files\Business Objects\Tomcat55\bin\tomcat5w.exe" //ES/BOE120Tomcat . I checked the windows services and the tomcat service name is BOE120Tomcat ( I installed the tomcat that comes with BOE 3.1). Also I logged in to the server as administrator.

joshua_kuhn
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

It sounds like you have the command right then. The error sounds like the folder or registry permissions are blocking your access. Is the service still running under the default SYSTEM account? What if you switch it to run under the Administrator account? If it then fails to start, it would point to a security problem with the administrator account to either the installation folder or regkeys.

One easy alternative would be to stop the Tomcat instance and download/install a secondary instance of Tomcat from Apache.org to a different directory. Stick with the same 5.5 version that ships with XI. If that works, then just deploy all of your applications to it instead.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Joshua, found what is causing problem. BOBJ is installed on a Windows Server 2008, so in 2008 even if you are logged in as Administrator it treats you as a user (may be a featue of Win 2008), even though it allows you to install softwares.

I went to 'Programs/Tomcat/Tomcat Configuration' right clicked on it and choose 'Run as administrator' and it worked.

joshua_kuhn
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Excellent. Thanks for posting your result. I'll have to remember that one.