cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repointing webi reports to a different universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need to clone a set of webi reports (~35 of them) along with the 1 universe they all use for the purpose of migrating only a set of users with a newer version of the universe and reports. The remaining users need to be using the old universe and the old reports for a few months. I have an easy way to control access to the reports/universe via permissions so that's not a big deal, but the biggest unknown for me is once I copy the universe (or save as) and the reports, how do I repoint the cloned reports to reference the cloned universe?

I am on XIR2 and migrating "in place" (not to a new repository).

Thanks in advance.

Gennady

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

atul_chowdhury2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi -

While universe re-mapping isn't completely trivial, the API that supports it is thorough enough. You'll just have to maneuver your way through the work flow a bit and be cautious of the various ways in which it works (eg. change object source by dsobjID, dso class path, etc)

For example - from ReportEngine SDK documentation on the DataProviders.changeUniverse(...) method:

Changes old universe by the new one in the document. It means that all occurrences of a data source object will be replaced by another one of new universe. When applyMapping is true, this call provides a ChangeUniverseMapping containing all old data source object to be replaced with a possible new data source object default mapping. This mapping needs to be validated (so mustFillChangeUniverseMapping() will return true). After that, possibly DocumentInstance.getMustFillContexts() will return true, indicating at least a context must be resolved.

You'll first want to understand the platform SDK and how to manage objects within the Enterprise:

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir31/en/boesdk_java_dg_12_en.zip

Then dig deeper into the specifics of ReportEngine API (known as REBEAN sometimes)

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir31/en/resdk_java_dg_12_en.zip

Former Member
0 Kudos

On XIR2 .NET ReportEngine SDK, I don't see this method on IDataProvider or any of the interfaces in that SDK. Would the following be a good workaround?

- Copy universe

- Change "short name" on copied universe

- Change SI_UNIVERSE property using enterprise SDK to repoint a webi report to the new universe?

Thanks

Gennady

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Changing DataProvider requires document modification features unavailable in ReportEngine .NET. It's available in ReportEngine Java.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I am also looking for the same solution. I am using RE BEAN java API. However in the API the method DataProviders.ChangeUniverse is not documented. Change universe asks for three parameters

public abstract void changeUniverse(String arg0,String arg1,boolean arg2) , could you please tell me what values to pass here.

I am accessing API documentation from below location:

http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/businessobjectsxi/en/en/RE_SDK/resdk_java_doc/doc/API/index.ht...

Is it the right place ?

Regards,

Vivek Pandey