cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Install Excel as Viewer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there

I have a problem when trying to load the BEx Analyzer from within BW ... if I try to execute transaction RRMX from the GUI, I get an error message "Please Install Excel as a Viewer".

Further information on the message just says that it is Message BRAIN871.

I have looked through these forums with not much success. One of the suggestions was to make a change to the way Excel starts ( adding /s to the way Excel starts by updating the registry), but that hasn't helped.

If I start the Analyzer from the desktop shortcut, I get error message "Failed to Load DLL".

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Andrew

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Has anyone managed to get this working with Excel 2007?? I keep getting the same response to Install Excel as Viewer.

Thanks

JB

Former Member
0 Kudos

With Excel 2007 are you using SAP GUI 7.10? In this case apply the latest patch available or look at note 1078523.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

please ask your tech support gui to install sap gui and in that ask him to tick "SAP BW add ons".

I think this will solve the problem.

Regards

VV

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have completely removed all SAP Frontend components, run regclean, reset my machine, and then re-installed the SAP Frontend components, including BW Add-on components.

I have then applied the latest patches we have available, which is up to Patch 22 for the SAP GUI and Patch 7 for BW front-end.

Problem has still not gone away.

edwin_harpino
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Andrew,

check if helps oss note 160995-BEx Analyzer: Excel Add-ins interfere at the start

Symptom

You cannot call up the Business Explorer Analyzer from the Business Explorer Browser (or from SAPGUI or via Windows shortcut). The system issues an error message such as "Please install a suitable version of Microsoft Excel".

One of the delivered add-ins, AutoSave, Analysis ToolPak or Analysis ToolPak VBA is installed in the Add-in-Manager in Excel. The frontend PC runs under Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 98.

Additional key words

BEx Browser, "Please install a suitable version of Microsoft Excel",

Please install a suitable version of Microsoft Excel, BRAIN 871,BRAIN871, Install Excel as viewer, "Install Excel as viewer"

Cause and prerequisites

According to Microsoft, this effect is caused by a timing problem under Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 98. Microsoft Excel cannot be started there per OLE automation, provided that one of the named Add-Ins has to be loaded during the start.

Solution

The simplest solution is to deactivate the specified Add-Ins in the Add-In manager of Excel (Excel main menu -> Tools -> Add-Ins).

If this does not seem possible, as an alternative, you can change the following key in the registry on the PC:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00020820-0000-C000-46}\LocalServer32

This key normally contains the command line for starting Excel via OLE, for example:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\excel.exe

If you add "/s" to this command line:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\excel.exe /s

the Add-Ins listed in the Add-In-Manager are only loaded when you start Excel manually and are no longer loaded when starting Excel via OLE.

With this change in the registry, the problematic add-ins remain installed in the Add-in-Manager.However, they are no longer loaded when Excel is started via OLE, which is the case when you start the Business Explorer Analyzer, for example.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tried that already ... doesn't help

edwin_harpino
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Andrew,

check your excel macro security setting ?

menu tools->macro->security, should medium or low.

if set to 'high', you will get the message.

hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Done that already ... didn't help either

Former Member
0 Kudos

And now the problem is SOLVED ... re-installed (used the repair option) my Office installation, and I can open Analyzer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could u pls let me know how u have done as i am facing the same problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

How it is resolved????????????? i have followed same as mentioned...but having same issue...please reply

Former Member
0 Kudos

I 've the same problem too with windows vista.

i reistalled sap gui twice and i tryed with office 2003 and office 2007

but it doesn't work

please help me!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Repaired MS Office installation - this fixed the problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is the problem with the excel version. Load relevant version of office.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the required version of Excel then?

According to Help >> About, I am running the following version of Excel:

Microsoft Excel 2002 (10.6789.6735) SP3