Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Class 001 - Characteristics not comming at the time of GR

prabhjotsingh_nayyar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am trying to use material class 001 in material.

I have created Characteristics and assigned to Class (001) and have attached this class to Material.

But when I do Goods Receipt of PO, I do not see any tab with classifications.

I have also tried activating batch (as some say that I have to activate batch to get the characteristics at the time of GR) but this does not help.

Please let me know, how can I get the characteristics to get populated at the time of GR.

Regards

Prabhjot Singh

Edited by: Prabhjot Singh Nayyar on Sep 9, 2010 5:35 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor

Why do you think that the material class should appear when doing GR?

for what reason?

if you need classification of batches with certain information, thn you have to have a batch class maintained in material master e.g. 022 or 023 (depends on batch level)

prabhjotsingh_nayyar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

There are two reasons why we use material class 001.

1. If there are certain characteristics of material that cannot be included in the description of material.

2. If there are characteristics of material that are not known at the time of PO creation and that characteristics can be included at the time of GR.

The reason that I am looking for characteristics in GR is that there are certain characteristics of material which cannot be decided at the time of PO creation and we can know those characteristics only when we receive goods. I do not want to use batch as there is no requirement of generating a batch number.

Neither I am getting characteristics at the time of PO creation, using 001 as Material class nor I am getting characteristics at the time of GR.

Regards

Prabhjot Singh

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A characteristic in 001 is usually only there for search helps and groupings.

If you dont know the characteristic at PO creation, is this a characteristic that is only valid for this PO and can be different for another PO?

if the characteristic can only determined at goods receipt, then it is not material specifc, then it is a batch specific characteristic.

And exact this is the reason to have batch managment active.

there is no place to store this characteristic receipt specific so that you can lookup the information at any later time.

prabhjotsingh_nayyar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

You said that Material class 001 is used for grouping. What type of groupings ? I would like to know the exact use of material class 001.

The characteristics that I am talking about is valid to a particular material .

It will be valid every time I create PO with this material.

Regards

Prabhjot Singh

prabhjotsingh_nayyar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

What is the use of Class Type 001 Material Class.

Regards

Prabhjot Singh

Former Member

Prabjhot,

I have a group of materials "Bicycles". Within this group, there are 5 material numbers, BIKE1, BIKE2, BIKE3, BIKE4, BIKE5. Each one of these is sold as a separate item to the customers.

Now, my customer service group is having a hard time entering orders. They can never remember which one contains which combinations of colors and Derailleurs.

I create a class 001 BICYCLES and assign two characteristics, "COLOR" "DERAILLEUR". Possible color values are "RED", "BLUE", "SILVER". Possible DERAILLEUR values are "10SPEED" and "12SPEED". I then assign the materials to the class, and enter values for each of the 5 material numbers.

Now, when Customer service wants to find out which MATERIAL to enter into their sales orders, they can look up all the MATERIAL numbers that have specific MATERIAL based characteristics: Blue/10 speed; Red/12 speed, etc etc.

Later on, my Quality manager approaches me. For one material BIKE1, which is a Blue/10speed, I have 3 different factories where I build them. The resultant bikes are virtually identical from each factory. However, the manufacturing methods in each factory are different. My Quality manager wants to determine accurately the source of each manufactured bicycle, so that he can track warranty liability and issue recalls if necessary.

I create a BATCH class type 022 and assign 2 characteristics "MAN_PLANT" and "YEAR" I create several batches: "PARIS2010", "ROME2010", "LONDON2010": In the batches I assign the appropriate values: MAN_PLANT "PARIS", in another "ROME", and another "LONDON"; in all three I enter the value for year as "2010", I activate Batch management.

Now when I complete my Production orders, the three plants each receive their production into stock, but now they must enter a batch. The batches they enter upon receipt identify the manufacturing plant and year of manufacture. In my central warehouse, I now have BIKE1 stocked and sold under 3 batches: PARIS, ROME, LONDON. My quality manager is pleased.

I am rewarded with more work.

Best Regards,

DB49

prabhjotsingh_nayyar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello DB

This is a very beautiful way to explain, Thanks for this.

I wanna to know

If there is any value change related to characteristics like if Red costs more than blue....How can we handle this. Can any value change in Characteristics be handled by this material class.

Thanks

Prabhjot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prabhjot,

I believe the term you are looking for is 'valuation', which is how SAP describes how much money a bit of inventory is worth.

Material valuation can be managed in a number of ways. Here is a brief description

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/47/60fe3f49f011d1894c0000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

Material Class is typically not directly related to valuation. The valuation of inventory is established with each material, in the accounting tab of the Material Master.

Many companies will value inventory using split valuation. One way to manage this is to assign Valuation types to batches (MSC3N, Basic data 1 tab). Then, when each batch is received into inventory, it will be valuated according to the settings for that valuation type for that material.

If you have a specific business requirement about valuation of inventory, please post in a new thread.

Best Regards,

DB49

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhjot,

Are you solved this issue, I am having the same issue in my project, If you solved please update the solution how to resolve.

Regards

Velujee

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

001 classification will never come up with a GR. You probably mix this functionality with batch classification.

prabhjotsingh_nayyar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Not Answered