Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

classfication classes/characteristics in EH&S

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI All

SAP says classfication sytem is fully used in EH&S

I am not sure is there in realistic business need for this except in materials

if you have used in any of your past projects can you share me business scenario

Ross

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

answer helped me to understad the concept in EHS

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ross

i did not catch your question. Let's try the other way: it makes only sense to use EH&S if you understand how EH&S is using the classification system of SAP.

In the core compoents of EH&S (e.g EH&S PS) you can maintain only data if you have prepared correct the classification ystem of SAP. This (as the DMS) is one of the core components without that EH&S is "useless".

If you take a look on SAP help and SAP marketplace you will find that the use of the classification system is "mandatory" to use the full functionality of EH&S

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/en/a5/3adda043be11d188fe0000e8322f96/frameset.htm

Classification system in general:

SAP has divided the classification system usinig class types. In the area of SAP in most cases the clases are important:

001 = material class

023 (not sure) = charge classes

027 (not sure) => DMS classes

100 => EH&S classes

Yes in theory you can try to use the class type 001 to create somkething similar like EH&S using only MM but the result is in my opinion not sufficient to take care regarding the main objectives of EH&S as to handle "legislation issues".

With each support package and each Enhancement Package SAP is providing a number of EH&S classes. I have no idea how many they are actually (something like 200) and most of the content providers can provide only content if you are using theses classes/Properties

With best regards

C:B.

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Sep 11, 2010 1:01 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Sep 11, 2010 1:02 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Sep 11, 2010 1:02 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph Bergemann

my question something like this.

you can use classess and charactertics in MM

for realease strategties

or even for under materials.

say I define a class and charactertistics.

assign them to a materail and add values to them

however in EH&S SAP says we use classes and characteristics.

I used IAL log, work areas, surveliance protocols........ and others in Eh&S

the thing I am trying to find out here is I have not found much need of classes in EH&S

if you had used in any of your projects, I would like ot some examples

Ross

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ross

in the core modules of EH&S (which are used by most Chemical companies) like EH&S PS, EH&S DG, EH&S HSM, EH&S SVT, EH&S GLM you need the classification system as a prerequisite. I am not an expert regarding EH&S IH and OH.

E.g. phrases are linked normally to characteristics (via phrase sets) which belongs to EH&S classes.

Let's make an example:

Yes you can create material classes. But what you can not do in MM is to use the same class to create more than one instance. This is a typical demand in EH&S PS: This is done using the properties etc. and generating more than one instance of one class using the EH&S classes. A typical example is "density". Any material (of chemical type) can be analyzed regarding the density. In the area of EH&S DG it is important to know the density (in theory) at three temperature values. Now by using the EH&S approach you can create these values without any problem.

In MM you need to create explicitely three different instances using the same class. In EH&S you can do so. Please take a look here; http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/en/c1/eda0f591ec12408b25e7a1b369ca45/frameset.htm

in chapter Example: Editing Substance Data (topic boiling point).

I hope that this heklps

With best regards

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very nice explanation by Christoph.

Let me now explain use of classification system in IHS, lets say for example in incident/Accident scenario.

If the requirement is to record more customer specific data apart from whatever fields available in standard SAP screen, then you can utilze SAP classification system to create additional tab altogether on a standard screen. Please visit the following spro path :

IH&S>Basic setings>Assign value assignment types to classes.

When you create your own class with class type "100" and assign charateristics with customer specific fileld values; here you assign that class to the value assignment type.

After performing master data match up and phrase set attribute assignment (if charateristics are phrase enabled), you can see a new tab on the standard Incident / accident screen with fields and values to capture cutomer specific data.

In the same manner, it can be used in OH as well.

Regards,

Pavan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Ross,

Pavan shown a clear picture how classification system useful in IHS.

I would like to extend bit more on this.

As you said, We can use classification system (class and characteristics) to add the values.

Like same we can use in EHS also.

But, One more important thing here, Classification system is connected with Phrase management.

When creating characteristic, Using the function module "c14k_phrasecharact_check" make a connectivity to the phrase management.

We can define standard phrases (master data) in the system, we can reuse these phrases(reusable data).

when u connect with the phrase management, system will not allow you to enter the value manually.

It reduces the typing error every time, Making standard choices to the user to pick.

for ex: Go to Transaction CBIH02 "Edit work area" >> Industrial Hygiene and Safety data.

You will find the the standard classification system connects with phrase management.

Regards,

kamal