Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USMM - License Classification on Derived Roles

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I want to assign license type by roles and we're currenlty using the derived role approach in our SAP systems. Is there a way to assign license type to the master role and have it show in the USER CLASSIFCATION report in transaction USMM. I noticed that if I assign the license type to the master no user shows up with a licens type on the report however if I assign the license type to the child role the user ID shows up in the report with the assigned license type. I realized in order for a user ID to show up with a license type a role need to be assign to the user ID. I'm wondering if the same can be done but to the master role instead without having to update each child role with a license type in the system.

-Wes

12 REPLIES 12

sreekanth_sunkara
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can assign license to the user in SU01 under License tab, i never heard of assigning license to roles instead of users.

Thanks,

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wes, looks like i lost the plot here - how can we assign user licenses to roles? I would be keen to know how do you manage doing that. Maybe there is a trick you could share with us.

I always did the license management by adding / changing licenses either in USMM itself (or) via SU01

0 Kudos

>

> Hi Shekar,

>

> http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/48/b2b8d0ca643d88e10000000a421937/frameset.htm

>

> b.rgds, Bernhard

Thanks a lot, Bernhard

this taught me a nice lesson, Never be too sure on what is/isnt possible within SAP and i think i should talk to my SAP Licensing Auditor for not enlightening me

0 Kudos

Thank you Bernhard

SS

Edited by: sun on Sep 22, 2010 3:45 PM

0 Kudos

Berhard,

so if we assign Contractual Type ID to roles instead of users, how SAP is going to charge, based on roles or users? i mean is it going to charge only for user who got roles?

what's the purpose of assigning Contractual User Type to roles instead of users

Thanks in advance,

SS

Edited by: sun on Sep 22, 2010 6:20 PM

Edited by: sun on Sep 22, 2010 6:21 PM

0 Kudos

Hi

Well...what an eye-opener that one was. It does seem to make sense if you've got a standard set of derived composite roles rolled out across multiple sites if you could then classify the parent composite role for USMM, read the correct charge based on the link to the derived composite via AGR_DEFINE (I'm guessing this is the bit that's not yet working).

(edited) Old age made me say a daft thing - I can't create a parent/derived composite but it still looks good (edited)

A user moves jobs within the organisation was a cat 71 and became a cat 72 then the removal/assignment of composite roles takes care of license type too. Trouble is, I've found it common practice for admin to add new roles and forget to remove (outgoing manager problems). But, then again our poor administrator in GSD had a miserable time trying to work out who did what and which license they should have

Thanks once again for the LICENSE_ATTRIBUTES help - very much appreciated.

Cheers

David

Edited by: David Berry on Sep 22, 2010 5:42 PM

0 Kudos

Hello Sun,

> so if we assign Contractual Type ID to roles instead of users, how SAP is going to charge, based on roles or users?

Of course still based on users. But the users can be assigned to the type according to the roles asssigned to them....

> what's the purpose of assigning Contractual User Type to roles instead of users

Kind of automatism for assigning users to types....(fo risntance imagine you have a 'developer role'. As soon this is assigned to a user, the contr. type shall be 'developer' (or whatever, jsut an example...).

b.rgds, Bernhard

0 Kudos

ok thanks,

SS

0 Kudos

Hi All,

I've been busy and haven't had a chance to review but it seems everyone that a question about this got an answer. Below is what SAP replied when I asked them. Thanks for everyone's time and patience.

"Dear Wes,

In the role inheritance we have only a direct relation between the role

and the user, that means only the "first level" of the role is crucial.

The license type is not inherited within the role structure.

To your question 1)

If you only assign the composite role to users it is enough to classify

the composite role. Users who have only assigned the single roles (even

if they have all three of them) then will not inherit a classification.

2) This is the other way round. If you only classify the single roles

every user who has one or more of those roles assigned can inherit the

classification of that role. The users who have only assigned the

composite role will not be classified then.

3) You have to classify all the derived roles."

0 Kudos

Dear all,

I have a question about the assignment of Price Lists to roles.

In our system ECC6.0 Netweaver 7.20 I am trying to assigne licenses to roles. For some reason I am able to assign a license to a single role, but not to a composite role. Can someone explain what I am doing wrong?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards, Dave.

Bernhard_SAP
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Wes,

derivation of classification details is not implemented yet.....

b.rgds, Bernhard