cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports 2008 - Error 1904 - DLLs will not register

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I've now started getting a host of 1904 errors on my machine since upgrading my SBO to 8.8 PL13.

"Product: Crystal Reports 2008 -- Error 1904. Module C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86\ReportPromptEMF.dll failed to register."

I've had CR 2008 Basic installed on my laptop and it's been fine, (I was on SBO 2007A SP01 PL09 before the upgrade.)

After my SBO upgrade I tried to edit an AR Invoice layout and got an error and realised something was wrong with my CR install, various forums later I'm still none the wiser so decided to uninstall and then re-install Crystal.

Frustratingly, I'm now getting all these 1904 errors? And I cannot re-install Crystal Reports

I have .NET 1.1 and 2.0 installed and all my windows updates are up to date

I have C++ runtime distribution installed

I can change my regedit settings

I'm assuming my machine is ok since I had it loaded before?

I have downloaded both links from this thread but canu2019t get anywhere with them, as it falls over trying to install

Are there any other suggestions or things I could try?

Many thanks

Hayden

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Hayden,

You may want to post this in the Business One forum also. And check the Business Objects Integration KIT forum also.

Need details, if you search for DependencyWalker open up that dll and you'll likely see the msvc80 dll's are missing. Those are installed by the MS C++ Visual Studio 2005 distribution file. Be sure to get the Security update version.

Another possible problem is it may be that the Basic Version of CR does not support any of the above products. Those other forums can confirm this.

Bottom line is 1904 usually indicates you are missing dependencies or the ones you have are not compatible with CR Basic. They may be the same major version but the minor version changed enough not to allow CR to work.

Can you uninstall the update and then see if CR will install?

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don

Thanks for the reply

I have to confess that I wish I knew what you are talking about, however sadly, I feel tremendously - technically challenged

I did manage to find the Dependency Walker I installed it but I have no idea what Iu2019m looking at or looking for.

I then turned my attention to the MS C++ Visual Studio distribution file, but again Iu2019m not sure what I should update

Looking in my Add/Remove Programmes are the following:

MS Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 u2013 x86 8.0.50727.4053

MS Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

MS Visual C++ 2008 ATL Update kb973924 u2013 x86 9.0.30729.4148

MS Visual C++ 2008 ATL Redistributable u2013 x86 9.0.30729.17

MS Visual C++ Run Time Lib Setup

MS Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition u2013 ENU

Can you uninstall the update and then see if CR will install?: please can you expand on this

Apologies for my in-ability

Kind regards

Hayden

0 Kudos

Hi Hayden,

Try this. Click on Start Run and type in regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86\ReportPromptEMF.dll"

What happens?

It could also be that you are using an OS that is DEP aware. Go into System in Control Panel and make sure DEP is set to Essential Services only. The original release of CR 2008 was not DEP aware.

You could try downloading Service Pack 3 full build and try that:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100009989492010E/cr2008_sp3_fullbuild.zip

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don you're a star!!!

Thanks very much

1/ Try this. Click on Start Run and type in regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86\ReportPromptEMF.dll"

Ran this and it succeeded.

2/ my DEP is set to Essential Services only

3/ CR2008 SP3 seems to have done the trick though - I have absolutely no idea why or how but it installed without a problem and I can finally open and edit a CR report.

Thanks you very much for your time and help

Cheers

Hayden

0 Kudos

Hi Hadden,

The reason is Microsoft changed the rules after the original CR 2008 released and our installer was not DEP aware nor was it supported on the latest OS's. SP3 now supports DEP enabled PC's as well as Windows Vista and Windows 7 support.

Also, manually registering the dll suggests you were using the original release or that DEP was blocking the update/install.

Thank you

Don

Answers (0)